Ferrying and Cruise Mechanics with Stargates

Jager14

Hi everyone! First post here (been lurking here for a week or so, my gf and I have been very interested in the game) and I just wanted to put some ideas I had out there from what I've been reading. Please feel free to correct me or tell me if I've made a mistake :). Also, I'm posting this from my mobile, so if my sentence structure is hard to understand, feel free to tell me and I'll make it better.

Tying in with the title I posted, I was curious if perhaps instead of relying on stargates to "walk" from one planet to another as primary transportation, perhaps it becomes a lot more expensive and less viable for most small orgs, companies, and solo players to use. I feel like it could creat a niche for things like ferrying, shipping, and cruising companies, where players pay a relatively small price to hitch a ride or small businesses can pay to have another group ship their product, worrying less about developing their own ships, hiring crew, and providing protection.

I'll describe it a little more; let's say you're a commercial faction that specializes in commercial shipbuilding or whatnot. Your customers are usually large organizations and guilds, as they're the only ones who can usually afford your designs in large enough quantities to make a significant profit. How you could expand your profit may be to, for instance, open a ferrying company. You build ships specialized in carrying passenger, freight, and maybe land vehicles (I'd love it to be like the Washington state system, where passengers could drive on and then get out and walk into the passenger bay). They'd pay your company for a one way or two way ticket and in turn, you take them to whatever planets you plan on your route. You make profit (if enough passenger pay) and they get a relatively cheap ride away from the spawn planet or wherever.

I feel like stargates, if they were too cheap or readily available, might take away the oppurtunity for this mechanice or system, which I feel takes away some of the realism or rather RP feel. IRL people relied on ships to take them all over the world, and I feel like that should be the way in the beginning of DU as well, maybe with FTL barring extreme time.

I'm tired and cannot brain but I hope that makes sense :)

From what we know, Stargates will not be cheap and will require a large amount of effort from multiple players. So I wouldn't worry about that so much.

I can see where you're going with this idea, and honestly I don't see why it wouldn't naturally occur. Why move your own stuff when it's faster to hire someone else to do it? And again, like you said, they may not have the ships to make their movement feasible. I can see some organizations springing up just for the purpose of providing passenger and cargo transport.

I hope so, my entire plan mostly relies on this idea being available lol. I imagine you start with maybe one ship, like an old steamboat operation, carrying a handful of colonial passengers to and fro on the frontier. As civilizations grow and expand, your passengers increase in number, and your ships get bigger (also, the tickets cheaper ;) ). You build terminals and ports, with maps, ticket booths, and specific routes passengers can use to get from point A in the galaxy to point B. For staff you hire mercenary and private security corporations to guard your ships and terminals. You contract crew and captains, paying them for X amount of voyages before letting them go or offering them extensions, as well as offering maybe heavily discounted tickets. I envision services running from space buses, to literal cruise liners running from planet to planet. Maybe I'm a bit obsessed with this idea lol

Absolutely.

And, if you're quick enough on launch, be one of the first with a ship that can carry some passengers to help ferry new players to a different planet. I mean, why not? :D

Start up a business, work with other player groups (Factions etc.) to establish you're landing port on their planets and boom, you've guaranteed yourself business from them. 

I felt like it would work really well with pioneering groups, mining operations, and even some military in the beginning. Who I should work with closest to though would be shipbuilders...or I just somehow come to git gud myself lol.

Hi everyone! First post here (been lurking here for a week or so, my gf and I have been very interested in the game) and I just wanted to put some ideas I had out there from what I've been reading. Please feel free to correct me or tell me if I've made a mistake :). Also, I'm posting this from my mobile, so if my sentence structure is hard to understand, feel free to tell me and I'll make it better.

Tying in with the title I posted, I was curious if perhaps instead of relying on stargates to "walk" from one planet to another as primary transportation, perhaps it becomes a lot more expensive and less viable for most small orgs, companies, and solo players to use. I feel like it could creat a niche for things like ferrying, shipping, and cruising companies, where players pay a relatively small price to hitch a ride or small businesses can pay to have another group ship their product, worrying less about developing their own ships, hiring crew, and providing protection.

I'll describe it a little more; let's say you're a commercial faction that specializes in commercial shipbuilding or whatnot. Your customers are usually large organizations and guilds, as they're the only ones who can usually afford your designs in large enough quantities to make a significant profit. How you could expand your profit may be to, for instance, open a ferrying company. You build ships specialized in carrying passenger, freight, and maybe land vehicles (I'd love it to be like the Washington state system, where passengers could drive on and then get out and walk into the passenger bay). They'd pay your company for a one way or two way ticket and in turn, you take them to whatever planets you plan on your route. You make profit (if enough passenger pay) and they get a relatively cheap ride away from the spawn planet or wherever.

I feel like stargates, if they were too cheap or readily available, might take away the oppurtunity for this mechanice or system, which I feel takes away some of the realism or rather RP feel. IRL people relied on ships to take them all over the world, and I feel like that should be the way in the beginning of DU as well, maybe with FTL barring extreme time.

I'm tired and cannot brain but I hope that makes sense :)

"Wormholes naturally do occur too. I don't know yet if the developers will include this in the game soon. It would be interesting to see what role they might play in transportation.

Pax Vobiscum."

Perhaps they would represent more a strategic or easily monopolized route, cutting time for whatever company or companies control them, like highly trafficked shipping lanes...idk lol. I just need space titanic to be a thing, as well as seeing an Olympia class fly through the stars like a space whale filled with cars

Perhaps they would represent more a strategic or easily monopolized route, cutting time for whatever company or companies control them, like highly trafficked shipping lanes...idk lol. I just need space titanic to be a thing, as well as seeing an Olympia class fly through the stars like a space whale filled with cars

Indeed. The guys who rub elbows with an empire will get "permits" for transits between systems. Lobbying is your friend in such a case good sir.

There's an idea...you could also perhaps set deals with large empires. For instance, they keep space clear of pirates and raiders, and you provide a cheaper alternative to building a specialized merchant fleet. Providing transportation for their citizens and goods, helping their economy to flourish, while you profit. Though I'd hate to be limited to one empire...maybe ou set up offices all ocer the galaxy. Peace through monopoly

There's an idea...you could also perhaps set deals with large empires. For instance, they keep space clear of pirates and raiders, and you provide a cheaper alternative to building a specialized merchant fleet. Providing transportation for their citizens and goods, helping their economy to flourish, while you profit. Though I'd hate to be limited to one empire...maybe ou set up offices all ocer the galaxy. Peace through monopoly

I for once, would like to travel on a secure transportation organisation's ship. I am classy like that. Also, if we can make silly little games in LUA,

I expect it on the A-Class section of a ship. :P

"You underestimate the evil of the human mind. Larger corporations are hard to deal with without  a deterrent, especially if they are anarchist or war prone.

Pax Vobiscum.

"

Lol that's when you go game of thrones and you load them on space titanic, ramming them into a asteroid or something XD. But I feel like part of running a transportation organization would be also paying for your own private security aboard and along your trade routes, bit like the east india company back in the day.

I would also like to see an arcade on the ships...or maybe a space pool.

The deterrent would probably be as Aetherios said, larger organizations more violent or aggressive than you. Maybe focus on one empire before expanding

Also, vet your passengers with an on-ship scanning LUA scripted platform. Don't let people with guns on board. Just sayin'. And have undercover bodyguards disguised as passengers. If a guy pulls a gun, your guys pull theirs. Everyone has a story to tell about your badass security then :P