What can I possibly play for now?

wizardoftrash

I have heard that Elite Dangerous is kind of a slow grind to get additional ships that end up playing pretty similarly. Has that changed much with the DLC that the've added?

Yes and no. I've not played since planetary landings as I've had limited internet access but, yes, I would say that the game has some distinctly grindy elements and this has been my main criticism. The ships generally have distinctive characteristics to the point that they handle substantially differently. In fairness, FDev have spent a lot of time trying to flesh out the universe and add more depth. I still think it has some way to go but this game, much like DU, SC, EVE etc., is very much a work in progress.

Everything I hear about ED makes it sound like the other meaning of those letters, lol. And, to get any actual content, you have to buy expansion packs in addition to the game, right?

No, you don't have to buy expansions. They have released a mixture of free updates for the core game and expansions that are part of a season pass. So far that single season pass, Horizons, costs €24 on top of the original game. This is approximately 2 months worth of play time in DU. For what it's worth I'm also a lifetime subscriber and I get all expansions for free. I've played around with Horizons and for the most part, I simply decided not to partake in certain parts of the expansion because it didn't float my boat. I'm essentially playing the core game though this may change once I get my hands on the latest update.

It's interesting how Star Citizen, ED, DU and NMS have taken slightly different routes to funding their games. I quite like EDs approach whereas the P2P model that DU will use is personally far less appealing. Rolling back the clock a couple of years I would have absolutely said that the NMS model was preferential because it's easier on the bank account but given the unmitigated disaster that the game turned out to be (check out the latest steam charts   - highs of about 2.5k players and lows of about 800 in the last week) I think that games with the scope of DU, ED, SC etc actually need a steady income rather than an initial big outlay. And for that, I don't begrudge FDev their money or their business model.

Everything I hear about ED makes it sound like the other meaning of those letters, lol. And, to get any actual content, you have to buy expansion packs in addition to the game, right?

Yeah it's really orientated 'buy players or else we won't hive you what you want'. Anyway, they are not a lot in the market proposing actual mmo games like that one so they do what they want.

Very briefly messed with Landmark...

Is this pretty much just a building game? I did a little snooping and heard about the Everquest Next catastrophe, but it still seems like a pretty neat set of tools for building.

I can strongly suggest any of you avoid Elite Dangerous.

If you're looking at DU, it is because you like multiplayer aspect, persistence and customisation. ED is the total opposite, where every single of their 400 billion system are created with the same generics planets,

Aweful ship customisation : every ship use the same modules

0 persistence : leave the instance you were playing in and it just erase itself. Same for npc killed

Absurd background simulation : You can kills npc in a "faction" war non stops, blowing multi billions worth of npc ship without it ever affecting anything. Commodities are also meaningless as in randomly set to an ideal number for a particular station : buy them all and it will "tick" back toward ideal number even if none are bringed in or constructed, even if the place doesn't have the material to produce it.

Same ship ui for all ships after 2 years

No multiplayer - It's peer 2 peer based, you sometime lucky and find a few, but even sitting in the same room doesn't guarantee it'll work.

They don't care about multiplayer : since update 2.1 landed, "wings" (group) caused issue where trying to jump from one system to another would crash the game to menu very often and didn't fixed it in over 5 months.

Servers suck : Look at the various bug thread about it, people get disconnected all the time from the game, when they don't face 20-30 second load time simply to open a menu because server doesn't react.

Peer 2 peer : Lot of hacking happened

Very briefly messed with Landmark...

Is this pretty much just a building game? I did a little snooping and heard about the Everquest Next catastrophe, but it still seems like a pretty neat set of tools for building.

Everquest Next? That exists? See, not even heard about it. Oh I see Landmark got a very low mark from video game websites...

Everquest Next? That exists? See, not even heard about it. Oh I see Landmark got a very low mark from video game websites...

From what I gathered, Landmark was a game that was part of what should have been Everquest Next. That Landmark would allow players to build content that would eventually be the game world for the following Everquest title. Everquest Next got canceled, and Landmark got released as-is without its main selling point -> that eventually the world they built in Landmark would be the game world for an RPG.

Landmark as it is now is still interesting to me, so I'm trying to figure out what exactly people do there now.

From what I gathered, Landmark was a game that was part of what should have been Everquest Next. That Landmark would allow players to build content that would eventually be the game world for the following Everquest title. Everquest Next got canceled, and Landmark got released as-is without its main selling point -> that eventually the world they built in Landmark would be the game world for an RPG.

Landmark as it is now is still interesting to me, so I'm trying to figure out what exactly people do there now.

Landmarks rate is low low tho. reaally.