Tutorial/Skill Training

DevisDevine

So listening to on of the interviews again today, there was a brief mention about how they will do a tutorial, or rather if they would even had one. 

I had an idea on how to encourage new players to actual go through the tutorial. I would think having them run through a virtual training tutorial as they wake up would be the way to go. But in doing so it could be a way to learn basic skills. Say they take the tutorial on mining, they are then rewarded with the basic level in mining (or mining related skills) rather than have to wait the time it would take to train it. I would only suggest to give them the first level in the skill. This could then be repeated for the tutorial on the market system, crafting system, etc. Say it took an hour to train the skill but only 15 to run the tutorial, obviously its beneficial to take them. And while its their fault if they do the tutorials with or without incentive, it reflects well if new players have an easy experience when starting. So I think it is in NQs interest to ensure they learn the systen. 

To take it further, if NQ feels that is too much to give a new player they can limit it. Take all the tutorials but you can only choose x numeber of skills to gain immediately. So if you intend to mine and build you take those 2 skills. If you intend to work the market, or lead a corporation you take skills in those. 

This would lean towards a system like Eve uses. By selecting specializations you start the game with the basics to begin your journey as you please. 

Anyone have thoughts on this?

I would agree with the virtual training idea because the arkship area will be subject to lots of change over the lifespan of the game. "Mine a couple ores? Nope, you gotta walk 10km over there to do it."

Why not both? Allow new characters to do any or all of the tutorials. Afterwards, they select a few, but not all, basic skills they want to gain immediately. This way, the new player gets some kind of idea what they are choosing, and what they are not. Presumably at this point, the time-based skill training will also be explained and the new player will be able to immediately choose which skill he wants to begin training.

I would agree with the virtual training idea because the arkship area will be subject to lots of change over the lifespan of the game. "Mine a couple ores? Nope, you gotta walk 10km over there to do it."

Why not both? Allow new characters to do any or all of the tutorials. Afterwards, they select a few, but not all, basic skills they want to gain immediately. This way, the new player gets some kind of idea what they are choosing, and what they are not. Presumably at this point, the time-based skill training will also be explained and the new player will be able to immediately choose which skill he wants to begin training.

Oh I agree that they should be encouraged to take all the tutorials. I was just suggesting that if they felt the basics across the board was to much it could be a selective measure based on what the player intends to do. 

What if when players join the universe for the first time they are put through the first sequence that we see in the short story written for DU. You wake up, the AI explains things, then you start the training to learn all of the basic skills needed. That would be a great tutorial in mu opinion.

Thats what I had in mind. But some people prefer to skip that, so why not let them. They probably wouldnt pay attention anyway to whatever mindless task they are told to do. But give incentive so they want to do it. And it would also let someone start with basic skills related to their playstyle.