Industrial Schematic idea

AdmiralS3

So I have been around since Early Beta, and I have to say as many know I love the game. However there are some areas you guys really need to work on.

One of those areas is Industry. As we all know schematics are time and money sinks, and honestly I am ok with that. However there are a few areas where honestly it just doesn't make any sense at all.

Let's start with Refineries: A basic Refinery can refine ore from any type so long as you have the required schematic. The same with an Uncommon, so on and so forth. The problem is 2 fold. 1 A higher tier refinery should be able to refine higher tier ores without a schematic. Just Like Common ones will refine a Common ore so should the appropriate ore tier be refined by its companion refinery without added costs.

OR

2. At the very least there should be a BONUS to using a higher tier refinery. At present your Basic, Uncommon, etc... all make exactly what your skills allow them to make without a single difference.

At present whether I use a Basic Refinery or an Uncommon Refinery or any other Refinery, it will refine Quartz @ 497.25L into Silicon @465.75 all free of charge which is as it should be, but there is no reason to use a higher tiered Refinery. It does not do it faster, make it more efficient (Higher amount of end product), nor does it make a higher tier of ore refined for free. Its literally a waste of Skills and Money to make or buy one.

It would be awesome, if the Basic could refine any ore type, provided you had a schematic to do so.  However the others should either require no schematic for that ore type or at least get some sort of reasonable bonus for using it. This way budding industrialists can grow and expand their lines while limiting their costs, but long standing industrialists could perhaps improve theirs lines efficiency or lower their overall costs slightly.

All Other Industrial Units: The same is true for all industrial machines. Yes for some products you require X machine in X tier to make X product, however that's generally (Yes, I know some intermediary parts as well.) reserved for the actual end product (IE a warp drive) However a Basic Metalwork Industry M puts out exactly the same number of screws at exactly the same rate as an Uncommon Metalwork Industry M does, both can make common or uncommon screws too.  There simply should be some benefit to having the higher tiered machines to do the job.

I appreciate feedback from the community on this topic, and as always will try to respond in kind. Good ideas don't come from just one person, but from open useful debate and hashing out of concepts and ideas.

Higher tier machines are required for higher tier ores/ products. IE Basic machines can do basic/Uncommon. Uncommon machines can do Advanced/Uncommon/Basic. Advanced machines can do Rare/Advanced/Uncommon/Basic. Rare machines can do Exotic/Rare/Advanced/Uncommon/Basic.  Exotic machines can do all. 

Once they add power requirements in I really hope they add advantages to using higher tier machines to process lower tier material.  But adding any type of bonus at this point in time would mean every factory would need to be running rare machine or not be a factory. 

Personally I would like to see augmentation slots added to machines. And those augmentations would be bought from Aphellia with faction points gotten from running missions. Or dropped from NPC's while ratting or raided from NPC station missions. 

22 hours ago, RugesV said:

Higher tier machines are required for higher tier ores/ products. IE Basic machines can do basic/Uncommon. Uncommon machines can do Advanced/Uncommon/Basic. Advanced machines can do Rare/Advanced/Uncommon/Basic. Rare machines can do Exotic/Rare/Advanced/Uncommon/Basic.  Exotic machines can do all. 

Once they add power requirements in I really hope they add advantages to using higher tier machines to process lower tier material.  But adding any type of bonus at this point in time would mean every factory would need to be running rare machine or not be a factory. 

Personally I would like to see augmentation slots added to machines. And those augmentations would be bought from Aphellia with faction points gotten from running missions. Or dropped from NPC's while ratting or raided from NPC station missions. 

I was very prepared to argue with you. LOL Because at one point the refineries on Utopia Station were producing T3 pures out of basic refineries. I know this as I set them up, back in October maybe early November. However, to be honest I had not checked them in Months and Months and Month now. LOL Not like there is much call for T3 pures while building the station. I saw your post and so I went to look, low and behold they have been offline wasting away for lord only knows how long and whenever NQ fixed it. However, I was in VR so to double check I even went as far as to make a brand-new Refinery and some T3 Pure Schemes. The Moral of the story is you are 100% correct. I sell more than enough basic equipment to keep me happy so Aside from some odd T2 items (screens mostly) I have not needed to care beyond my own realm. Thank you for pointing out my error.

As to the rest: I highly doubt we will ever see the power requirement. Seems NQ has enough other issues to deal with, and adding yet another element or set of elements that require even more maintenance would be foolish. After all if they did add power to the game, your ship and factories would require some sort of fuel for the generators. Can you imagine having to continually fly around the verse fueling mining platforms.... the requirements for something like Utopia Station, Starlantis, Nitro City or the DOME would be insane. basically, nixing any large-scale complexes from the game as the continual maintenance for such epic scale systems would be impossible to coordinate and keep them going full time. Which would make this game far less sandbox multiplayer and more Ehh i have a building and a ship, basically Eve, with a bunch of super small orgs huddled around 1 or 2 tiles with maybe a station in orbit.

As far as faction points go, that would require some sort of factions. There are not different races or political systems in the game. Those would have to be developed 1st, and that would be more akin to Eve then what the devs have going here.

With that said... there would be nothing wrong with say augmentation based upon some sort of looted object, or reward. Say as an example you ran Hauling missions for Aphellia, X number of missions and she would give you a special prize. That prize might improve your miners, or assemblers or Refineries for a set number of hours at an X given %.

17 hours ago, AdmiralS3 said:

I highly doubt we will ever see the power requirement.

They certainly don't mention it in their latest "roadmap". 

Considering how long it's taken to deploy perhaps the most basic/niche implementation of PvE available in any subscription MMO (even skipping major QA steps like deploying to the PTS)....I kind of doubt we'd see it anytime soon even if it was mentioned.  

17 hours ago, AdmiralS3 said:

Seems NQ has enough other issues to deal with, and adding yet another element or set of elements that require even more maintenance would be foolish. After all if they did add power to the game, your ship and factories would require some sort of fuel for the generators.

Yeah, it makes it really hard to be positive about ideas in general because there's so much stuff that NQ needs to finish to make the game whole. 

Which...is kind of my point when I am negative so often: the game is what it is. It isn't going to grow, there's way too much to do and too few resources to do it.

Enjoy it or don't, but let's not pretend that there's a way for NQ to really fix anything at this point, especially with their focus on other things. People should know what they're getting with their subscription money, and IMO it isn't a growing/sustainable game.