Dual Universe Cache Too Large

GuardianAngel02

Hello,

I was playing some Dual Universe, doing the delivery challenge in the tutorial section when windows informed me that my C drive is running out of space. That's a bit strange, since the game is installed on the D drive. I should have maybe saved it to D as well, but I didn't expect this problem.

It gave me quite a scare. At first I thought indian hackers were trying to mess me up until I found the cache using winstatdir. The game saves an excessive amout of voxel data into the cache until the cache is huge larger than the windows installation. It reached about 12,5 GB until my SSD ran out of space, causing me to manually crash the game and find out what was happening.

Is there any way to limit the amout of voxel data saved to the game's cache?

Kind Regards.

3 hours ago, GuardianAngel02 said:

Hello,

I was playing some Dual Universe, doing the delivery challenge in the tutorial section when windows informed me that my C drive is running out of space. That's a bit strange, since the game is installed on the D drive. I should have maybe saved it to D as well, but I didn't expect this problem.

It gave me quite a scare. At first I thought indian hackers were trying to mess me up until I found the cache using winstatdir. The game saves an excessive amout of voxel data into the cache until the cache is huge larger than the windows installation. It reached about 12,5 GB until my SSD ran out of space, causing me to manually crash the game and find out what was happening.

Is there any way to limit the amout of voxel data saved to the game's cache?

Kind Regards.

You can change the location of the cache folder to some other drive where you have more space.

To be honest in this day and age 12 GB of cached data is rather insignificant ,  considering an installation of a single contemporary game can take anywhere from 30-120 GB.

It is no excessive, it is simply a dense data structure even with compression. And all this data needs to be streamed to client as all meshes (with exception of elements)  are generated from voxel data on the client side,

At current prices you can buy a reasonably performing 1TB SSD for as little as 100 bucks, and cache folder doesn't even need to be on a system volume.