New player tutorials

ShellCarnage

Hello NQ!

Firstly I want to share my experience before my idea so you understand why I believe this is a very important thing to be fixed, as soon as possible. Unfortunately I turned off my stored broadcasts otherwise this could be better explained by watching my 1st day in Dual Universe.

Once I got through the great streamlined tutorial I got shoved out into a landing pad with absolutely no idea where to go for the rest of the tutorials leaving me very confused. I finally found the tutorials after around 30 minutes I then had to go to different buildings/floors to do each of them. 4/6 of the tutorials I ran crashed my client. Honestly I was ready to quit and probably would have if I wasn't running my stream at the time and had help from some veteran players.

Idea

Streamline all the extra tutorials into one place preferrably before you exit the tutorial area OR easy noticeable teleportation to the additional tutorial areas & back.

Now, I believe this is a fairly easy change to make and would massively help player retention aslong as the bugs in the tutorials are also fixed to avoid crashes. I know NQ must have a good reason as to why they made the additional tutorial area but lets be honest, its far over complicated for a new player to find and should be easily accessible for all, hell some people still don't know where the additional tutorials are.

Personally I hated the tutorial from start to finish with the like 100 steps it took to finally get to play the game.

I would have much rather had a choice to just join up right away with a trusted org/faction through some kind of player based CM/Guide program and give those orgs some kind of element to start players in their base along with a dispenser that just gives all the parts at once to make a ship and perhaps some kind of vocal explanation when you pull out the parts to make it the first time and be on my merryt way. Its overly complicated then it needs to be.

Problem is this could be seen as favourtism towards certain orgs, then you need responsible players to guide every new player as they come in the game and show them every little basic function. Pretty impossible to do. Then you have the issue that even after completing the tutorial people are still very much confused how to play the game, although I understand you felt it was a lot, others have said it wasn't enough and there is nothing wrong with either as some people learn by playing whereas some learn by tutorials.

Eve Online found out very quickly that the better they made the new player experience the higher retention the game had and now has a super good tutorial, WoW has also gone down this route with their new 1 - 10 new player leveling area. 

My idea is more to use what we currently have but streamline it better, implementing this should be fairly easy as its already ingame just requires moving.

Well there is the tutorial and the academy for additional training. So in a sense there is already an extended tutorial.

NQ could also just drop any now player into a random tile on Alioth with everything they need placed down for them. TU, a fully furnished XS core house, an optimized XS ship, Basic Industry, some basic supplies / rations, and still run the tutorial right there in their base. It changes nothing but gives them a functional example of how it all works they can build on. If they dont like the spot they can pack up at some point and move rather than leaving them sitting at the District Pad going so what now.

Something will have to give for new players when the Destructive Elements System goes in anyhow as new players will likely blow up multiple ships in the process before they know what is going on and some serious quality of life improvements will need to be added to account for that. It is a rough start after all.

As far as Organizations go or a guide based program Organizations need some kind of population cap increased by Talents. If there were such a system with pop caps this would help to keep those larger Orgs stocked with actives until they fill up to allow smaller orgs to also take priority in a round robin system. Also if Orgs had designations for what they do most (PVP, Industry, Mining, or Freight/Piloting) you could choose what sort of playstyle you wanted to join.

Either way player retention and quality of life starting out as it isnt working already before more punishing systems come into the game. Something has to give.

The tutorials all need a thorough rework as well as more thorough testing than the system we have got.

A free VR pod with the Sanctuary TU that allows you to access any tutorial when you need it would be perfect.  Having to travel to brush up on something is pretty numb. I just didn't bother.