Suggestion: Better control over the roation of static cores in your Territories

Nebyron

Heyho Novark Builders,

I’ve got a little problem and I cannot find a good answer, so I would like to suggest a little something:

This topic is not about core alignment, but about rotating cores.

To be more precise, the rotation function where you hold R and Scroll with your mouse-wheel is far to unprecise. As far as I can judge this, equipping a Static Core will show you were you are able to place the core on your plot. This position is not “loose”, which means you can not rotate it by changing the direction your character is looking, but it is simply fixed. And sadly, it is not aligned with any of the plots six sides. Unequipping the Core and reequipping it does also not change the fixed position. Of course, you can rotate the core by holding R and using your mouse-wheel. However, this will rotate the core by a fixed amount of… dunno, 5 degree or so?

This means you cannot properly align your building space to your territory’s walls no matter what, as holding R and scrolling rotates the core just by too much of a degree.

I get that this might be not a point of concern for most of you out there, but I do think this is an issue that should be talked about.

A possible solution and my personal suggestion is the following:

The player should be able to rotate the core freely when holding down R and moving the mouse left and right (horizontally, of course!).

Edit: Another possible solution would be a feature to snap on the borders of a core to the territorys borders.

I have not found a thread with this topic, so if there is one or if you have a solution, please show me the way ^^

Edited by Nebyron
Added a new solution

+1

Maybe a modifier key that when held down allows more precise placement and rotation.  Basically the opposite of holding CTRL to move things in bigger steps.

More precision when placing elements would be really great too!

I was just thinking about adding another L core to my base to make a landing pad and i naively tought the 2 core would align automatically.

There has to be a way to make them stare the same "world grid", dunno, maybe standing on your existing core while placing the new one.

Edit: im just gessing, but if the "world grid" is a sphere, and the core get locked in a fixed orientation (which then determine how it will rotate) in the moment you deploy it, then this initial orientation depends on the spot where you stand when you deploy it, not the one where you confirm your placement, as you will probably move it around before placing.

This means that is nearly impossible to add a second core later, you should place them all togheter without movig.

If instead every tile has its flat grid then should be easy to do.

1 hour ago, Fra119 said:

I was just thinking about adding another L core to my base to make a landing pad and i naively tought the 2 core would align automatically.

There has to be a way to make them stare the same "world grid", dunno, maybe standing on your existing core while placing the new one.

When you are placing the new core with the deploy ground element tool, aim at the first core, or any voxels on it.  That will start the new core aligned to the grid of the first core.  Before you click to place the new core, you can move the entire build area using the arrow keys and page-up, page-down.