Setting the zone area for a Detector

Frigidman

"How does one adjust the actual zone (bounding area) that a detector will trigger?" ... is what I asked in the builders forum ...

I guess you cant!

So I would like to put this in as a Suggestion Instead :D

What am I talking about:

The zone area that a detector looks at, would benefit from a way to configure that zone. For example; making it a long thin area for a hallway only (no spill over), or a tight beam (leg trip), or even shifting it to a side so that a detector on a thin wall, isn't detecting things on the other side of the wall from its intended area.

How it would work:

- After placing a detector down, you could right-click it and select a menu option of "Adjust Zone".

- This would then show a light transparent bounding area representing the current 'zone of detection'.

- While in this mode, hitting the Arrows/PgUp/Dn (default keymap) will push each side out, while holding Alt with those keys will pull that side inwards. So the ability to adjust all 6 sides of the zone.

- Minimum zone size would be 1 voxel in any direction.

- Maximum zone size (or encompassing volume) would be based on the detector built (XS, S, M, L, XL).

- When done, right-click the detector again and choose "Save Zone Setting".

Alternative way to do it:

If the above 'menu option and keys' method seems too awkward, another way to do it, would be within LUA. To allow setting coords from detector center (0,0,0) where the zone is. This would require a LUA script and programing board in order to adjust the detection zone from default... making it only an option for advanced users.

This would be nice, currently the only way to choose the size is by detector size and they have to be the center of the zone, this had made my auto doors a bit ugly as hiding the detector and connecting it become difficult while still tripping the detector soon enough.