Conveyer Systems

maxZZzzz

Since my first post about that a couple of years ago alot has changed. I really really like how crafting is basically as complex as in factorio!! Awesome.

What I would like to see at some point in the future would be physical conveyer systems or tube systems. It would allow for some interesting game mechanics and beauty.

I think it is not so important if you can see the items wiz around. It would be cool but there are other things that are realy cool about them.

* Conveyers need Space

* you have to plan ahead if you want to expand

* you can not so easily repurpose a factory

* you can design factories that focus on easy refitting

* you have to think about how you wanna connect stuff in an efficient way

* there would be factory module blueprints for cetrain production chains with specific modular layouts

* Conveyers can be destroyed

* ships would have to be designed with weak spots in mind

* how does the fuel get to the engines

* how the amunition to the turets -> do the guns shoot faster than the supply? build small cargo caches?

* how the power to everything

* how does information flow (lua control systems) an how do programs compensate for malfunctions

All this could be had by just adding one basic mechanic: the need of packets (items, power units, bits etc.) to traveling along a physicaly defined path (the conveyer) that is breakable and throughput limited.

• 4 weeks later...

This is an amazing idea. I would very much like to see its implementation.
You just need to add ports for connecting the conveyor (to the entrance and exit) to the 3D building models, and the same for connecting pipes. Or make a universal inlet and outlet for pipes and tape (two in one).
Dense goods (for example boxes with screws) are moving along the conveyor. Liquid pipes (such as oil or water).
- You can see how 3D models of goods are moving along the tape. This will really bring the factory to life!
- Conveyor elevator. For vertical delivery of goods.
- Conveyor racks (for multi-level belt placement). The same goes for pipes.
- Splitter (separates 1 tape into 3), Connector (connects 3 tapes into one). Option MK2 can be programmed through Lua to filter goods for admission.
- "Pipe cross" for connecting pipes.
- Pump for pipes to deliver liquids vertically. Later, the pump will require electricity.
- Bandwidth and pipe throughput. It can be increased if you build a variant of MK2 or MK5 of these buildings. Higher-level belts in terms of design have a more "closed" version (moving goods are less visible). Option MK5 is completely closed and is similar to Hyperloop (since goods are delivered very quickly inside it).
- The conveyor will require electricity in the future.
- Support for Lua. You can find out through scripts - what is the throughput of the selected conveyor or pipe. How many goods are passing through it now, what type of goods are passing through.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2020 at 11:19 PM, maxZZzzz said:

Since my first post about that a couple of years ago alot has changed. I really really like how crafting is basically as complex as in factorio!! Awesome.

What I would like to see at some point in the future would be physical conveyer systems or tube systems. It would allow for some interesting game mechanics and beauty.

I think it is not so important if you can see the items wiz around. It would be cool but there are other things that are realy cool about them.

* Conveyers need Space

* you have to plan ahead if you want to expand

* you can not so easily repurpose a factory

* you can design factories that focus on easy refitting

* you have to think about how you wanna connect stuff in an efficient way

* there would be factory module blueprints for cetrain production chains with specific modular layouts

* Conveyers can be destroyed

* ships would have to be designed with weak spots in mind

* how does the fuel get to the engines

* how the amunition to the turets -> do the guns shoot faster than the supply? build small cargo caches?

* how the power to everything

* how does information flow (lua control systems) an how do programs compensate for malfunctions

All this could be had by just adding one basic mechanic: the need of packets (items, power units, bits etc.) to traveling along a physicaly defined path (the conveyer) that is breakable and throughput limited.

It might look like this. But this is the work of an amateur, you can certainly make it much more beautiful.

concept c.jpg

Great idea. This is one of the aspects of space engineers that I really like (once you take out the lag and buggyness of things like this). Also it would make a lot more sense if a fuel tank had 6 actual ports on it that you actually physically connect to the engines, and didn't have to have a tool in hand to see the spaghetti of imaginary lines all over the place and try to figure out what is what. You wouldn't even have to really have it take up much space or server resources... a 5cm wide physical pipe would do fine to represent a fuel line. It could even be glass in places or light up if it is properly feeding or go dark if the tank is out of fuel. An engineer could be in the engine room repairing fuel lines if they get ruptured by stray bullets. Also you could have elements like line splitters and actual physical connection 10 port hubs. Nothing would actually have to flow through them,  so i don't think it would take much server resource for an active engine to check once every 5-10 seconds if it actually has a fuel connection available... and I think being an engineer on a ship in combat "givin' 'er all she's got!" doing on the fly repairs could be more fun than shooting at the enemy, and, it would to some degree even potentially help re-balance the large ship vs the meta cube, assuming the large ship has crew to actually do such on the fly repairs and jury rigging.

• 2 weeks later...

- What are the advantages of the conveyor and pipe system? It's easier for the eye to perceive
what is connected to what. Logical chains look clearer
than "lines of confused links".
- Force players to use free
space using various tricks in the organization of construction.
- The player can see which goods are going from building to building - without even aiming
on it with the mouse cursor. (Because you can see what kind of 3D models of goods
move along the tape).
- Visually it is better to see when the building is idle and when it is working
(the tape with goods does not move, or moves).
- It can be seen with what bandwidth the tape works (by speed
the movement of the tape), with the transfer unit we do not see this at all!
- In the future, more customizability than "transfer unit".
- Ability to install a conveyor system in the factory, as well as
on the ship - plus adding a magnetic dock (connector) at the output
will allow you to link these buildings, and automatically unload the goods or
fuel into the ship (when it is docked), or vice versa, unload
from him, or both at the same time, when there are many docks.
- Pipes (which, unlike a conveyor, can transport
only liquids and gases) are good on the ship to combine fuel
tanks and engine between themselves. If during the battle there are trumpets
damaged by the projectile, fuel will be poured out of them, and thus
fuel will be lost on the entire connected system. And here they will reveal
its potential repair teams of players.

- "Links" themselves are also good, but in large quantities they are inconvenient,
and many will probably agree with this. "Links" can be slightly altered,
so that they become available to the player at a later stage of development, when he
learn to make "quantum teleportators", put them on buildings (like a receiver)
and transport goods without a conveyor system. Teleportators
available after learning a number of skills.