Optics: rifle scopes, binoculars, telescopes, etc.

Saul Retav

Well, a frigate will be emitting quite a lot of radio waves if it has active radar or comms on. Basically a fleshlight. In fact, Radar is basically waving a flashlight and hoping the sensor will catch something. Also, a 50 meter frigate will be a lot closer, Hubble sees in the infarred/visible light spectrum, and lower-grav vaccum bodies will allow(like the Moon)will allow telescopes of MASSIVE size to be built. 

Also, I thought I posted something about short-range telescopes for use in the kilometers range?

Kinkeh. 

Also, you miss the point, we are talking "stealth" configuration and function. Stealth Frigates IRL are able to navigate only by sonar - the equivalent is a gravitometer in space. They use no radars and they use high-yield low rotation tourbines to propell themselves. If you go at 15000 m/s on  a frigate, you wil lbe spotted by virtue of being a giant flaming ball in the background of space. But GLIDING (that's momentum based) which means you acceleatete to a speed and then let the ship glide its way with the momentum it has, means you can turn off your ship's systems and be invisile, as you generate no heat. Now add R.A.M. ship hulls, and you can have a ship that can glide its way with a reduced range of detection. The reason Hubble can see asteroids, is becuase asteroids rotate so fast and are not made of radiation absorbinb materials - like iron. And because they are massive objects, not a 50 meters length frigate with stealth design and features.

Could it take a long while to get to a place with a stealth frigate. Sure, but that's stealth for you. It's about patience.

Also, you got more to gain out of placing a telescope - of any kind - on a station, than on a moon base. Landing costs fuel, micro-gravity costs nothing.

Kinkeh. 

Also, you got more to gain out of placing a telescope - of any kind - on a station, than on a moon base. Landing costs fuel, micro-gravity costs nothing.

Well, the thing about lunar telescopes are that you can land a base down there, and create a telescope from ISRU that is VERY big. Also, keep in mind, I never suggested surface telescopes.

Well, the thing about lunar telescopes are that you can land a base down there, and create a telescope from ISRU that is VERY big. Also, keep in mind, I never suggested surface telescopes.

Well, it's your spare time, so, why would I wanna interfere :P