Planetary defenses?

Ghoster

Its also the first result in google search for dual universe planetary defense.

I couldnt find a recent discussion within five pages about specifically planetary defenses.

And perhaps a necro, but you know if you build giant tickle me elmo replicas outside your towns, people will have to choose between shooting your defenses or those monsters.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1.8.2016 at 6:22 AM, DaSchiz said:

Well the further something is the less real time it is.  The lock on fighting mechanics may be able to adjust for this but not sure how something like shooting a ship in orbit from the surface would or even could work.  Your view shows it and you fire but in real time the ship already left for example.

Yes, long range firing would have to be dealt with by the lock in mechanics considering how DU servers work, but I hope it is not impossible. Of course there could be limitations, but then again a super heavy gun firing from planet's surface shouldn't be nearly as accurate as ship turret firing from kilometer away so that would be limitation for planetary anti-orbital weapons,  very good to prevent enemy from crushing you with their SSD but really hard to hit. 

Overall I would like to see possible for multiple layers of defense at least for later game major organisations, 1. Fleets, defense stations and planetary anti-orbit weapons that could conceivably surround the planet. 2. Long range high altitude anti air (tens of kilometers up tens or hundreds horizontally) to thin out enemy force approaching your base/city or preventing landing too close to them. Would like to see missiles here. 3. AAA (=anti air artillery) and other guns when things get up close and personal.

Then again, as stated, long range fights might be severely hindered/prevented by the server issues even with lock on mechanics, and developers have already said there wont be things like sniping.  With this also construct fights might have limited range so you would rely on mobile fleets to defend planets, maybe bases and space station with weapons for self defense and lot of smaller ships to hit enemy fleet (and respawn spots). 

But all this surely won't be relevant at launch when people just get into the world, so even if these things will be in the game, I wouldn't hold my breath.