Stock Market

ATMLVE

I hope we are all on the same page here, that this stock market, is going to be in game, using in game money, player made, and will run on unconfirmed mechanics. yammas post can be a little confusing, but he is just basically asking the devs if they wish to use a pre made platform that would run like a real stock market would. This would allow us, the players to have a real stock exchange in game (where no irl money was made just in game money and resources) that would help to hold organizations responsible for paying their dividends ect. Please correct me if I am wrong yamma.

It is up to us how we choose to run the stock market, if at all. And it depends on mechanics yet to be confirmed like most of the financial services within the game.

Yeah that's the problem with a lot of speculation about this game. We just don't quite know the mechanics yet.

I guess a stock market for this game is just something that should be tried, but there's no way to really know for sure whether it will or won't work. It just needs to be tried, and if it never is, I don't think it would be a loss.

Problem is enforcement. How do you ensure the link between the stock and the company. How do you prevent dodgy accounting and outright scams, having people pull assets out of the company after selling the stock leaving shareholders with an empty shell. How do you prevent companies from continuously printing shares and diluting existing shareholders, etc, etc etc.

In the real world there are governments with their legislative systems to make rules and their judicial and law enforcement systems to enforce those rules and settle disputes. Who would do this in a game?

Now I don't want to rule the idea out completely. If the devs allow us to create the tools to make a stock market (which aren't actually all that hard to make), perhaps eventually a player entity would arise that is powerful and influential enough to actually regulate some sort of market and punish those who abuse it. However this is something that would only work in the later stages of the game, in my opinion. At the beginning I doubt any player base would be strong enough or organized enough to be able to do any real enforcement.

Of course the devs could create a sort of artificial hosted stock market. But then THEY are the ones who will be forced to do all the book-keeping, all the accounting, and deal with all the exploits that will inevitably happen.