Large ships

Jaface

I recently built a new L core ship and there's significant slowdown. I could handle it if it was just frame drops, but it seems to be slowing down the actual physics simulation. This leads to weirdness, which is also understandable. However there's a major issue from 2 effects of this slow down:

It takes much longer to travel

Fuel usage still seems to be tied to time rather than actual force applied

These 2 issues combined result in the fuel calculations being entirely wrong in the Build Helper, and making my ship take much more fuel than would normally be required.

Here are the specifics if you're curious:

1.31k elements (656 adjustor L and 276 Retro-rockets)

Calculated delta V with empty cargo: 660,408 km/h

Actual delta V experienced with empty cargo: around 60,000 km/h (I sped up to 25,000 and used 46% of my fuel)

I submitted a bug ticket, but copied it here to ask if anyone has run into this and found any work arounds?

Every element that can be obstructed needs to check for being obstructed.
Seeing as you have well in excess of 1000 such elements, it is no wonder that the PC can't keep up with the checks.

Whilst the game probably has room for optimization in the performance regard (who woulda thunk it), you got to ask yourself, do you really need all 600 of those adjustors? There comes a point where the player becomes the optimization bottleneck.

From my observation fuel ticks down every 3s or so, however you shouldn't be moving or accelerating slower just because you have a lower framerate. At least in theory anyway.

50 minutes ago, Megaddd said:

Every element that can be obstructed needs to check for being obstructed.
Seeing as you have well in excess of 1000 such elements, it is no wonder that the PC can't keep up with the checks.

Interestingly enough, none of my cpu cores or gpu are maxed out in resource monitor, and sit comfortably around 60%. I can tell there's physics slowdown because when I get out of the pilot seat it moves at seemingly normal speed

The ship itself is a hauler with 80 L containers, so yeah it needed a lot of adjusters. I might try removing some but it's tough since the slowdown is compounding with the slow turn rate.

I would try using mostly engines instead of adjustors for turning at that point, enable engine torque in build mode. Just make sure they have similar engine tags that the adjustors do.

Adjustors aren't really meant for doing what you're doing to them.

Wow I didn't even know engine torque was an option, I'll have to redesign a bit and try it out, thanks for that.

I removed most of the adjustors and half the brakes and the problem is still there but not as bad, it actually turns faster with 1/3 of the adjustors in real time