Space Port Security Devices

Jager14

To go along with the idea of massive transportation organizations and such, and also based on suggestion from other posters, I just wanted to open up a topic on some devices which could be really helpful in maintaining order on civilized worlds, keeping ports somewhat safe and discouraging things like freeloaders or space terrorism.

1) Placeable Character Scanner

So this would not be so much a tool to learn character info, and more like inventory vetting and payment checking. This could check if a character (set through LUA parameters) had paid for a ticket, was carrying weapons, smuggling, etc. I imagine these being more common in well designed, dense ports, but maybe less so on rim worlds, where smuggling might be more present :)

2) Automated Ticket Booth/Sales Booth

This would be like the market booths describes in other topics, perhaps being the same block even, just scripted differently. Players would access these and input credits or some sort of currency, and receive boarding passes or tickets, allowing them to enter the terminal or ship

3) Laser Gates

These could work like ship shields, but on a small, door level. Scripting these with character scanners and the ticket booths, you could use these to prevent people from entering gates or terminals if they were carrying illicit objects or had not paid for a pass

4) Security Cameras

Kinda like in Space Engineers, but able to rotate. These could be placed and scripted with screens to allow security guards more visibility over a large area from a central location or hub. Like actual security cameras lol

5) Stun Batons

I think this may have been suggested in the personal weapons topic, but I am not sure. A melee weapon, perhaps based on electricity or blunt force, that could disable or stun a belligerent player and prevent them temporarily from doing anything

6) Two Kinda Unrelated Thingies

A cargo sort or conveyer to allow passengers to drop inventory they wish to load in cargo and assign it a specific location so that it is easily retrievable or trackable by those passenger once offloading

I also think fuel lines that you need to fold out and connect to ships to refuel in port might be cool, but I understand if that'd be too tedious

Tl;Dr, scriptable devices focused on security beyond sentry turrets. Could be used easily in forts, bases, and evil corporate HQs

I hope I'm not beating a dead horse :)

! , 2 and 5 can be done, given LUA scripts inventory tables. The laser gate could be an Element people can craft through skills.

The Laser turret on the other hand can act in conjunction with the scanner. If the scanner "paints" a target as "Having a gun" , all turrets go for him. A countermeasure could be the addition of "security" badges that the turrets won't fire on a player with a gun and a badge, but that is up for debate on if the devs will allow such items in the gam, although they could be "named items" that players make and assign a snippet of code in them just so tthey can interact with LUA scripts.

The 5) it can happen, but that would mean a transportation pilot's ship should have a catalogued inventory, limited to a certain amount of items, with assigned slots for the assigned ticket that registered it.

It can be done, it's just a little complicated on the scripting part. Not heavy, just complicated.