Equipment/Player stat modifiers

Tychus

Going over the list of games I have played in the past, things I have liked and things I have seriously disliked. I very much enjoy the option to customize my character in as many ways as possible without getting absolutely ridiculous (horns and flame eyes, ect, ect...). There were two games I very much enjoyed the character creator much more than I did the actual game itself (especially as both games went through merciless nerfing sessions): City of Heroes and Champions Online.

I know this isn't that kind of game, but where I am getting at is this: give us options during the process we go through when we design our characters. They are a digital representation of our individuality we use to interact with the world in which we are provided. Please don't have a generic male and generic female avatar that are soulless and devoid of creativity. Let us explore the options a bit:

-Cybernetic implants (we are in space for crying out loud, why not let us have robo-arms, hands, feet, legs, hips, eyes, ect...)

-Flight gear, or not... (Just because we are in space doesn't mean that we all want to be clad in a one-piece, single color jumpsuit that is identical to every other pilot. Conversely, it doesn't mean that the female characters should be granted the ability to wear boy-baiting bikini armor that wouldn't protect from a flung toothpick OR that the male characters should be encouraged to create super-muscled, skintight spandex clad cavemen with only a loincloth to shield our eyes from their...manliness... *pukes*)

-Accessory display items (what if my pilot needs a backpack, cane, satchel, purse, clutch, badass sunglasses, earrings, facial and body tattoos, warpaint, ect, ect... Get creative!)

-I hate to admit it, but not everyone is a damn Olympian... It would be nice to have the option to have a mediocre-looking pilot. Or maybe a face/body system similar in function to skyrim or fallout. Simple sliders to adjust the face, body, ect.)

I love to pan the camera around a cool-looking character. I implore you, please give us options!

In addition, it would be nice to be able to find or craft items that give helpful bonuses to certain characteristics. Some of these could include: Amount of resource gathered from a single cycle, damage output/resistance, ship speed/agility/durability, walking/running speed, jump height/distance and many more.

The ship is another often-overlooked aesthetic. Custom paint jobs, or skins could be submitted, reviewed and approved by appointed moderators from within the community to filter profane or otherwise objectionable paint schemes (don't give me that, you know damn-well what I'm talking about you pervs ;)

Just some thoughts.

Thank you for reading and considering my rant.

Even though this particular aspect of the game play isn't particularly important to me personally, I've heard this request from quite a few people now. So I think the dev's should be listening and start planning a character customization system, if they aren't already.

Welcome to the forums Tychus!

Even though this particular aspect of the game play isn't particularly important to me personally, I've heard this request from quite a few people now. So I think the dev's should be listening and start planning a character customization system, if they aren't already.

Welcome to the forums Tychus!

I appreciate your candor! Thank you for reading.

-T.

The game doesn't sport epix and legandorys good sir. Gear is dispensable. A rifle is a rifle, an armor but an armor. Stats are something irrelevant, only material strength and access to said materials plays the only real modifier. You can make an armor out of kevlar, sure, it's very good against bullets. Guess what, lasers turn you to burned rubber. Like wise, a Barret 50 Cal is a barret 50 cal, its bullets are easily made by the thousands, a railgun's fine-tuned spikes not so much, not to mention they are made out of pure iron.

Players have also discussed on Implants on many threads, the consensus so far is "make the have drawbacks". What? You thought the Winter Soldier doesn't have to refill his anti-freeze on his cybernetic arm? O_o 

Flight gear, especially for jet pilots, to make them sustain possible G-forces. That would be sweet indeed.

And yes, I hope the devs make your inventory something that can be visible, like a quartermaster on the field being visible by his giant oversized pack of extra ammo and med-kits.

No, arbitrary, buff items. That's the way of pay-to-win getting into the game, because lazy people would ask to buy them and the game would BREAK. 

And yes, as a 6.1 foot high coding ape, I would like my majestic beard to be projected into the game. And please, for the love of God, let us all petition on cosmetic stickers. Give us Hello Kitty and Rainbow Dash stickers to become awesome hustlers of characters.

The ship is another often-overlooked aesthetic. Custom paint jobs, or skins could be submitted, reviewed and approved by appointed moderators from within the community to filter profane or otherwise objectionable paint schemes (don't give me that, you know damn-well what I'm talking about you pervs ;)

Your joking right? Please tell me your joking!

Your joking right? Please tell me your joking!

Why would I be joking? You and I both know what kind of things people would attempt to put on their ships, I don't see a single reason not to have a review process to discourage asinine behavior. I love the idea of customization just as much as I loathe the way said customization can and HAS been abused in almost every game that doesn't have some system of regulation.

Also, note I said "from within" this means that actual players are the ones reviewing said submissions.

Why would I be joking? You and I both know what kind of things people would attempt to put on their ships, I don't see a single reason not to have a review process to discourage asinine behavior. I love the idea of customization just as much as I loathe the way said customization can and HAS been abused in almost every game that doesn't have some system of regulation.

Also, note I said "from within" this means that actual players are the ones reviewing said submissions.

Never gonna happen, and if it does they just lost 90% of their player base. You know why? because NO ONE likes censorship! This is posted Here on this forum

Cn6-wsrUIAAaDfM.jpg

And this

Cny1HaaWgAElNTL.jpg

Yet another reason censorship will not be a thing. You think a community that supports scamming is going to allow being censored? You can see the post here where EVERYONE agrees with me that scamming should be a valid game mechanic!

Yet another reason censorship will not be a thing. You think a community that supports scamming is going to allow being censored? You can see the post here where EVERYONE agrees with me that scamming should be a valid game mechanic!

If I don't like the model of my character to be frank with you, I'll just change my XML files and be done with it. I know Blender-Fu. :P

Never gonna happen, and if it does they just lost 90% of their player base. You know why? because NO ONE likes censorship! This is posted Here on this forum

Nothing in those porcocorp newspapers is even explicit. And saying that 90% of the player base will leave because of moderation is ridiculous.

They are a digital representation of our individuality we use to interact with the world in which we are provided. Please don't have a generic male and generic female avatar that are soulless and devoid of creativity. Let us explore the options a bit:

For me char creation usually is an intro-indicator to a new player to see how much time and effort the devs put into developing the game. However useless it may be for the player, especially in a FPV game, it does help enhance overall game play. The game just doesn't jive well when we all look like twins.

For me char creation usually is an intro-indicator to a new player to see how much time and effort the devs put into developing the game. However useless it may be for the player, especially in a FPV game, it does help enhance overall game play. The game just doesn't jive well when we all look like twins.

Even though, half of the game will be spent wearing a helmet :V It's the Skyrim paradox. Why put 2 hours into making a face 90% of the time you won't even see? :P

In my opinion, a pink camouflage and a Hello Kitty sticker on my right pauldron tell more about me than a beard on my character's face :P

When you make a post that speaks for 'EVERYONE' it would help your credibility if you actually gathered the data instead of assuming that you already know what people want. To put it simply, I don't want scamming to be a valid game mechanic and since I am a member of this community (admittedly a new one), I would fall under the category of 'EVERYONE'. Following the line of logic a bit further, it would seem that since your post requires 100% support of its statement! even a single disagreement would render its point moot.

To put it another way, I have played EVE Online and while it is a great game, it suffers greatly from people exploiting the market place. Have you ever been to Jita? If people want to stab each other in the back for some in-game currency, then by all means do so. I would prefer that they do it in another game, but I am not one to tell anyone else what to do.

For anyone else reading this, please be careful out there in the real world an in-game. There are people who take joy in scamming, trolling, baiting and other creative ways of ruining your experience. Keep your wits about you and try to enjoy this awesome game once it is released.

P.S. Be sparing with the exclamation points, they don't add credibility the more you use them :)

I apologize for removing a part of the quote, but having multiple copies of the same irrelevant news article just takes up space. I have an idea, how about instead of attempting to speak for everyone, just try to approach a subject from your own perspective.

I can agree with you that some people are indeed reluctant to submit themselves to any level of censorship. This is a true fact. There are others who would appreciate (please forgive my vulgarity) not to have to look at a huge dick, or boobs, or whatever else it would seem that you would love to slap on your ship and parade around the universe.

Is that not what you meant when you said NO CESNSORSHIP? I apologize if I mistook your intent, but you see there are individuals out there in the vastness of the Internet who would delight in zipping through the virtual cosmos with a massive butt crack pasted across their hull. These are the same type of people who love ruining other players days by spawn camping in WoW, scamming people in EVE, using wall-hacks and aimbots in any online FPS, ect, ect...

I ask you politely, try not to be one of those people. I am sure you are better than that. I don't know you personally and I probably will never meet you face-to-face, but that doesn't mean that you aren't a real live person with feelings and friends. I don't wish to start a flame-war. That poisons forum threads. I hope I haven't offended you, but I wanted to make my intent as clear as possible.

Thank you for reading.

@Tychus

Sorry should have clarified my statement and said everyone in the post at that moment in time. I also apologize for the anger put forth in the post. I assure you I am not the type of person who enjoys such vulgarity either. I believe this is most of the time the act of children in desperate need of discipline and attention but receives neither. Yet the absurdity of forcing all to such subrogation of a review process for their designs (many of which have spent hours developing) to please the few who find such things so offensive when they simply have to ignore and carry on is offensive on its own. From my experience, these types of thing are the occasional oddity instead of the norm. Now if it does become a problem where it begins to be the opposite then I believe we may need to revisit the topic and have the issue dealt with.

@Tychus

Sorry should have clarified my statement and said everyone in the post at that moment in time. I also apologize for the anger put forth in the post. I assure you I am not the type of person who enjoys such vulgarity either. I believe this is most of the time the act of children in desperate need of discipline and attention but receives neither. Yet the absurdity of forcing all to such subrogation of a review process for their designs (many of which have spent hours developing) to please the few who find such things so offensive when they simply have to ignore and carry on is offensive on its own. From my experience, these types of thing are the occasional oddity instead of the norm. Now if it does become a problem where it begins to be the opposite then I believe we may need to revisit the topic and have the issue dealt with.

I appreciate your position and thank you very much for your thoughtful reply.

Glad we're still friends :D