Laser Target Designator

Archer

I have a few ideas for things I would like to be able to script my ship to do that would require a reference to a specific target location.  Examples include calling in an airstrike, dropping a ground vehicle or supplies, picking up a big rock that's in the way or just parking at a specific location.  A laser target designator could come in handy for that; instead of having to remotely pilot the ship and manually target a location from there you can pre-program various attack/deployment actions in Lua that reference a laser location.  Once that's in place all you have to do is pick an action and point the laser at the target area.  Naturally you can also give your friends permission to use their own lasers to borrow some of this functionality for a bit without turning over full control so you can design a ship to support an entire deployed squad.  As an added bonus if you manage to integrate a working mech into this system you'll be about two clicks away from Titanfall.

I have a few ideas for things I would like to be able to script my ship to do that would require a reference to a specific target location.  Examples include calling in an airstrike, dropping a ground vehicle or supplies, picking up a big rock that's in the way or just parking at a specific location.  A laser target designator could come in handy for that; instead of having to remotely pilot the ship and manually target a location from there you can pre-program various attack/deployment actions in Lua that reference a laser location.  Once that's in place all you have to do is pick an action and point the laser at the target area.  Naturally you can also give your friends permission to use their own lasers to borrow some of this functionality for a bit without turning over full control so you can design a ship to support an entire deployed squad.  As an added bonus if you manage to integrate a working mech into this system you'll be about two clicks away from Titanfall.

lol love the titanfall reference. I agree that this could be a great addition. They devs said we would be able to implement our own scripts and that we would have the opportunity to have a form of AI to team up with. I think if you were able to combine all of this with your laser pointer idea this would be a great way to add a whole new dynamic for the game. I could see things like exploring a planet and finding a rich resource vein, ordering your AI on your ship to exploit the resource that you designate with your laser designator then firing the mining lasers to begin the process.... all sorts of good things