Elements as Voxels.

Morndenkainen

Cargo containers, engines, fuel tanks, engines, wings, and many other elements severely limit player creativity. Switch those elements to voxels. Let players custom build their own storage solutions, fuel tanks and thrusters. The whole thing that made this game potentially great, was the ability to design, build, and fly, your own ships. You guys already know how much of "X" the elements currently provide per their given build volume, and in which direction. Do the math, come up with a per-voxel number that works for lift, cargo capacity, thrust, etc. Then, allow players to decide what shape their engines, wings, and fuel tanks are. Keep the existing elements if you must, but allow players the freedom to make their own. Starmade did it, and that was back in 2012... Nearly a decade ago. There's no reason it can't be done today.

Interesting idea! I could imagine to declare an area between voxels as "Storage Area" and the game caculates based on the volume of that area (and on player talents) how much it can carry. Same with fuel tanks.

But I cannot work with voxels good enough to create good-looking engines from voxels, here I prefer the element engines.

Maybe, offering both possibilities would be the best solution: voxel-based otems and also element-based items. o everyone is happy.

• 1 month later...