Industrial .. um.. enthusiast?

Guest Jon

Hey, so.. Hi?

I studied to be a video game tester/developer, then that industry got replaced when people realized that idiots like me (LIKE ME!!) will absolutely pay, instead of be paid, to test games.  Ya know what, smart move, I get it.  Anyway, please excuse/listen to my preface.  The industry thing.  as it sits, Beautiful, wonderful baseline.  tiered response to ongoing membership to increase longevity.    As a player, stab me, as an anything else, I have to say, too fast. likely due to early testing, but I have to say it.  Anyway. All of this is to please for the love of god please, pay attention to this tiny bit.  The storage is WRONG.  The linking system is well done, well executed, well played.  Interesting mechanic. in fact I actually like it.  I'm serious, I like it.   It's .. not poorly.. no not poorly..  not incorrect.. just.. it's not right.  there's no continuity in links.  I've tried. I see no real rule set between one or the other on how many links they can handle vs what they can't.  maybe bug? (you're better than EA so I wont insult you and call it a feature :)

The container hub as it is, is useless.  what needs to exist is a link increasing system. or.  OR!  say a management system for the containers within.  ( seriously what I hoped it was)  Much less a simple this is part of that idea and more of a logistical streamline.   I've spent way too many years on EvE, in the end they .. ahem, fucked over, industry people like me and lost heavily.  I've been searching for a new game since.  DU is right, I've been hooked.  which.. this game has so many EvE like mechanics, I should be setting it on fire along with other effigies, but I really do think you have the promise and potential.  So, as this is a closed beta and it is all of our jobs to actually contribute to the greater vision (not sorry about wingers over petty things)  I offer this, please.  your industry is close.  It needs a few tweaks.  chief among them, either conveyor belt system (PITA, I know) or, the simple answer. skill based link increasing system with a defined system in place with basic deployments.  I spend hundreds on Eve per month with multiple characters mining and manufacturing titans and stations along with the gent who got me into this game. your logistic system within the industrial wing of your game is the weakest point I can find.  And I mention it because, yea.. shit's on fire, yo.  Anyway.   hi from the buried seats, thank you for the opportunity, I actually do hope this does well. I really like what you have to offer. I am here should you need anything else.  o7  

PS: The guy above this post eats plants.  Just because I'm professional, doesn't mean I don't have fun :)

I'm not sure I agree with the statement that industry in DU is it's weakest point or even on the weak end of the spectrum, relatively speaking. I think it's absolutely due some much needed improvements and quality of life changes though. And I do agree that the ability to skill into increasing links between containers is worthwhile because the link cap on containers is a seriously limiting factor that I'd like to be able to push the boundaries of a bit. One point of contention: the container hub isn't useless in it's current state. On the contrary, it's absolutely vital in growing industry to its full potential as it currently exists in the game. Pound for pound, container hubs have probably done more for improving and streamlining our industry than any element in the game. Of course, the ability to improve their functionality through skills would still be very appealing!

So you like, but do not like, the container hub.. 

Fair point actually and several of us have been bringing up suggestions which would make, what in principle is a great and useful tool, much better. For one, it was suggested (several times in the past few years)  that it should be possible to have a "parent" hubs to which "child" hubs are linked (possible ven a higher tier version to make it an "achievement"), thus creating a nested system where each child hub is named appropriately and then is shown on the parent hub as a such and, when clicked, would give access to the child's contents.

This would make setting up industry much easier and would possible allow (higher tier) industry to find and use materials from child hubs when connected to the parent hub. Add the optional Lua Scripting to move material around and nerds can go wild creating massive inventory systems. Provided the logic behind this is designed and coded well it would make a huge difference going into factories and manufacturing facilities where production elements can pull from several parent hubs which feed the different production lines for elements and output complete constructs

As said, these ideas (and many others relating to things like power management for instance)  were brought up and discussed several times over the last few years but NQ pretty much ignores the forums so will generally remain oblivious to what ideas are shared and discussed there.