A Few Hours of Play Feedback

BaconofWar

Well here it is, another feedback thread...

Core Mechanics

- Mining tools destroy everything. Even surface nodes. So I am cautious about mining but on the plus side if I know I am not near any mineables I can just whip out the flattening tool and rapidly dig corridors a lot faster than I can with the mining tool.

- Once I got building tools sorted  I could quickly put down decorative yet structural honeycombs. Hold left mouse to set width and height, release then set length, click left again to build it. Hold Alt to do the opposite.

- Building up to make actual part of the game where you can make the smallest vehicles takes way too much time. Specifically the "pocket" building of various smaller components. 7 minutes or so to build enough "hydraulics" parts for an XS container (which becomes essential rather quickly) is a bit much. All in all the lower gear and "starter" parts shouldn't be overly time consuming to build. 

Things I Don't Get

- The XS assembly line only makes more XS assembly lines and XS atmo fuel tanks? Kind of useless. This pretty much made me realized issues with the overly fractalized nature of the building system. So let's start with the 6 size of cores. The various core sizes are great for dynamic and other moving objects however it doesn't make sense for the static core that most people will use for their second building project in DU - building a starter base. The starter static core should be what the Small core is or even the medium or better yet - XL. The first base should be something to allow people to build, explore the various assembly processes, and storage processes. As it stands now - no sooner did I get the xs core built I was already collecting resources to build the S static core.

Which means tediously deconstructing my xs "stick" (optimal starter setup is a stick) to build out the floor space on the small static core which I know once I get a M static core I'll be tearing apart my base again. Unless I am missing something the whole base tear down to drop in a bigger core to have enough space to build enough "things" to build other things to build bigger things. This is where it would be nice to be able to just "drop" aka swap core sizes on the fly. 

Of course a swap would be pointless as I can't simply reposition my bases "center". I literally have to drop of the new core, build out space or stick storage containers directly on it and slowly move all the bits and boxes and materials over from the "old" small base to the bigger "new" base I have to build from scratch. Which just means the only logical way to build for me is to guess at the size of static core I need, build all my bases as stick bases and sloppy amalgamations of production lines. Which means I'll spend time rebuilding vs building up my center of "power" or at least, where I know I can safely hang my hat.  

There has to be a better way. 

Current Growing Pains

- Waiting for the last voxel action to complete - if ever...

- Waiting for QOL features (like easier talent tree queue management)

- Tutorial areas are just broke. I can't use a tutorial if all the items are floating above me because the building is missing.

- A construct should be as easy to remove as it was to put down. If I one key drop a blueprinted construct I should be able to one key pick it back up. I know, kind of lazy but with small elements and potentially smaller "filler" voxels I just want to be able to undo what I do just as fast.

- Not a lot of advanced activities are straight forward. The building menu should lead me to some way to edit LUA code but nope.