Super weapons. Should they be a thing? Can they be a thing?

Sin117

Super weapons  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want super weapons?

• Oh yeah bring on the planet killing destruction!!!
    • No way keep that stuff far away!

Super weapons.
This is a debate I have been having back and forth in my head for quite some time.
On one hand some one having a death star like super laser that blows up planets is probably too much power to allow a single group of players to control and far to taxing on the technical side of things.
However on the other hand doesn't someone or some organization that spends that much time, effort, skills, money, and resources into a single construct that could potentially be destroyed deserve to have that kind of power? I mean just think about it really. How much of the things I listed above would they need to give in order to create something like that in the first place? It would be an absolute unreasonably astronomical amount.
Not to mention all the threats out there that would try to stop you from constructing something like that in the first place and even if you managed to finish something like that how many enemy's do you think you would make. Id reckon a lot of them.
Now wouldn't all these factors be massive balancing factors? Not to mention by the same token if the devs did allow super weapons they could easily create counters to them like for example a planetary shield generator. With super weapons could potentially come super defenses.
Now in the end it all comes down to a technical stand point and by that note it probably wouldn't be possible but the fact that there is that slight hope that maybe just one of these day it could happen is a very exciting thought. 

So with all that being said do you think super weapons should be a thing or not and if not how far should the power of weapons go? 
Please let me know down below I would love to hear your guys opinions on this one as this one probably has a mixed bag of feelings.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/13/2019 at 6:26 PM, Sin117 said:

Super weapons.
This is a debate I have been having back and forth in my head for quite some time.
On one hand some one having a death star like super laser that blows up planets is probably too much power to allow a single group of players to control and far to taxing on the technical side of things.
However on the other hand doesn't someone or some organization that spends that much time, effort, skills, money, and resources into a single construct that could potentially be destroyed deserve to have that kind of power? I mean just think about it really. How much of the things I listed above would they need to give in order to create something like that in the first place? It would be an absolute unreasonably astronomical amount.
Not to mention all the threats out there that would try to stop you from constructing something like that in the first place and even if you managed to finish something like that how many enemy's do you think you would make. Id reckon a lot of them.
Now wouldn't all these factors be massive balancing factors? Not to mention by the same token if the devs did allow super weapons they could easily create counters to them like for example a planetary shield generator. With super weapons could potentially come super defenses.
Now in the end it all comes down to a technical stand point and by that note it probably wouldn't be possible but the fact that there is that slight hope that maybe just one of these day it could happen is a very exciting thought. 

So with all that being said do you think super weapons should be a thing or not and if not how far should the power of weapons go? 
Please let me know down below I would love to hear your guys opinions on this one as this one probably has a mixed bag of feelings.

Well if you are talking about tools they have in Eve, like Titans and Super Carriers, they can add them in and it won't break the game possibly ever. How so? Or am I daft? Well my assumption is the requirement of actual bodies for ship modules, since you need actual ships to man the turrets and crew to do repairs or put out fire etc. The balancing factor is efficiency. Using this as a reference, if you are running a large organization, of lets say 10k players, is it smarter to use your limited resources for 1 titan measuring +13k meters or say 1 super carrier for +5k meters/30 battleships at 1600 meters/few squad of bombers? Or just 60 1600m  battleships? If a battle occurs, is it wise to send your only combat asset of a titan measuring +13k meters and hope the turrets kill all 60 battleships moving at the same time before they are destroyed?  Or a super carrier with a few squadrons of bombers + 30 battleships?  

Another factor that you have to consider is the actual resources required and to build it in secret without info being leaked out. In this example here and here, these are instances of where info of one in the oven led to a formation of multiple people to siege a system and  latter the result of sinking your alliance resources into one ship and losing it. Keep in mind that a titan can be completed by a few individuals in Eve compared to Dual Universe, where you have get multiple people to participate. The most powerful ship in our world is a carrier and it has something called a "carrier strike group" and it is undisputed that it only take a lone submarine to sink a $13 billion investment. 

The last major point, even if they put in a ship as big as a titan (13k meters) in alpha 3, it is unlikely we will see even capital fight with ships the size of 5k meters for a hot minute. From my view it has to do with automation of industry. In Eve online it is easy to mass produce ships as as your only bottleneck was the human assets (F1 monkey) & ore with some logistical issues. DU on the other hand, not only do you have to hand create the ship (blueprint), mine the ore by hand, build infrastructure that can support the ship, build said ship by hand, have the necessary fuel/ammo + logistical backbone to support said ship, and also have enough resources to actually support & defend the ship (destroyers, cruisers, frigs, and etc). We haven't even gotten into the insane world of espionage that can have major detrimental impact in construction in DU. 

I would be surprised if there was a capital ship in pvp within the first year or two, barring any changes in later expansions that help alleviate the critical issues in automation & construction. Military strategy has make the option viable compared to the alternatives and I don't see it in the release state of the game. I also caution people against making one for the foreseeable future unless an expansion makes them viable. Bigger doesn't necessarily translate to something that is better.

• 2 months later...
On 1/1/2020 at 12:06 AM, plmkoi said:

Well if you are talking about tools they have in Eve, like Titans and Super Carriers, they can add them in and it won't break the game possibly ever. How so? Or am I daft? Well my assumption is the requirement of actual bodies for ship modules, since you need actual ships to man the turrets and crew to do repairs or put out fire etc. The balancing factor is efficiency. Using this as a reference, if you are running a large organization, of lets say 10k players, is it smarter to use your limited resources for 1 titan measuring +13k meters or say 1 super carrier for +5k meters/30 battleships at 1600 meters/few squad of bombers? Or just 60 1600m  battleships? If a battle occurs, is it wise to send your only combat asset of a titan measuring +13k meters and hope the turrets kill all 60 battleships moving at the same time before they are destroyed?  Or a super carrier with a few squadrons of bombers + 30 battleships?  

Another factor that you have to consider is the actual resources required and to build it in secret without info being leaked out. In this example here and here, these are instances of where info of one in the oven led to a formation of multiple people to siege a system and  latter the result of sinking your alliance resources into one ship and losing it. Keep in mind that a titan can be completed by a few individuals in Eve compared to Dual Universe, where you have get multiple people to participate. The most powerful ship in our world is a carrier and it has something called a "carrier strike group" and it is undisputed that it only take a lone submarine to sink a $13 billion investment. 

The last major point, even if they put in a ship as big as a titan (13k meters) in alpha 3, it is unlikely we will see even capital fight with ships the size of 5k meters for a hot minute. From my view it has to do with automation of industry. In Eve online it is easy to mass produce ships as as your only bottleneck was the human assets (F1 monkey) & ore with some logistical issues. DU on the other hand, not only do you have to hand create the ship (blueprint), mine the ore by hand, build infrastructure that can support the ship, build said ship by hand, have the necessary fuel/ammo + logistical backbone to support said ship, and also have enough resources to actually support & defend the ship (destroyers, cruisers, frigs, and etc). We haven't even gotten into the insane world of espionage that can have major detrimental impact in construction in DU. 

I would be surprised if there was a capital ship in pvp within the first year or two, barring any changes in later expansions that help alleviate the critical issues in automation & construction. Military strategy has make the option viable compared to the alternatives and I don't see it in the release state of the game. I also caution people against making one for the foreseeable future unless an expansion makes them viable. Bigger doesn't necessarily translate to something that is better.

I was more leaning on the side of weapons that can be placed on a space station or ship that are capable of completely destroying or crippling a planet. Now whether weapons of mass destruction on that scale should be allowed I am still not sure if my answer is yes or no. 

However If they were to implemented how much power should they have? 

What would be the limit? Would we simply just be able to create things like Starkiller base that can wipe out an entire solar system in one go or would we be limited to something like the size of a nuke? 

Now I can see something like nukes being implemented and not completely making a technical/balancing nightmare. 

It still would be a treat to see a planet killing weapon.