Solo ... Team ... how much of both?

DaSchiz

Solo ... Team ... Mix?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Planned playstyle; How much on the scale from 100% solo to 100% team/guild?

• 100% Solo
    • 75% Solo ... 25% Team/Guild
    • 50% Solo ... 50% Team/Guild
    • 25% Solo ... 75% Team/Guild
    • 100% Team/Guild

It's fascinating to me that NovaQuark is spending all of this time and money to develop the technology to allow for thousands of players to exist and play within the same area, yet people seem more concerned with playing by themselves and not interacting with other people. 

It's a massively multiplayer online game, I just hope that they don't drop the "Massively Multiplayer" part because some people like subscribing to a game every month to play by themselves. 

It's not really possible to play DU by yourself.

Traditional MMOs basically have two options for adventuring - soloing or grouping. If you're not in a group, you are solo. That does not mea solo players are not interacting with other players. All it means is that solo players are not joining formal groups to kill stuff.

Soloing means not having to wait on or depend upon other players in order to have fun. That's not the same thing as being anti-social.

Soloers can be social without joining a formal group - and often are social despite not relying on a formal group to defeat challenges/quests.

Killers looking for hardcore challenge are likely to want to group. Explorers looking for casual challenge are likely going to want to solo.

I'm an Explorer who loves to recon solo. That doesn't mean other players can't benefit from the info I uncover. Doesn't mean I'm unwilling to share wealth or info with other players. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy talking with other players or healing other players or augmenting other players.

What it does mean is that I don't want to be stuck waiting on the whims of other players. When I'm ready to explore, I want to be able to head out and explore. I don't want to have to wait for compatible players to log on and be available to adventure with me - the way I like to adventure.

My Bartle score has a 0% Killer rating. I'm a pacifist. I will avoid killing if I can. I love playing the carebear challenge of reaching max level without killing anything.

My goal in a dungeon is to visit every nook and cranny. I couldn't care less about killing the boss. In most cases, I'm not really interested in killing the boss. But, that's really a failure of the designers. There are ways to entice me to wantonly kill - but it's rare that designers are able to provide those motivations.

Frequently, I've found myself in groups that are primarily Killers who aren't interested in exploring every nook and cranny of a dungeon - what they care about is efficiently killing everything in the dungeon without wiping. I don't particularly care if we wipe. Because I'm not a competitive player.

So, I typically solo. In NWO, I mostly duoed. But, our duo also dumped our surplus loot in the guild bank.

In Dual Universe, everything we do will affect other players indirectly, regardless of whether we group or solo.

But, there will be all manner of ways for solo players to benefit other players - even if they never directly socialize with other players.

And Dual Universe will also offer unique opportunities to feel like you're soloing while you're on a multi-crew ship. Among other similar opportunities.

People need to look beyond the limited scope of early MMOs.

If devs can actually deliver on the designs of games like EQNext, Revival, Dual Universe and, perhaps, Star Citizen, the concepts we're used to will be obsolete.

But, so far, no one has actually delivered on that dream.