Scaffolding Help

Wilner

Hello, I keep getting a " .obj file reading error " when trying to use the Virtual Scaffolding Projector. Can someone look at the attached picture to make sure I have the path right? Seems pretty straight forward but I have yet to get this thing to work in game.  Also, if someone is willing to share an object file they have projected in game that would be great! That would at least point me to a bad path or bad file.

Thank you,

Help.png

Quick Summary:

• If you are getting an ".obj file reading error" then that means the DU client was unable to find the specified model.
  • If you do not get an error then the model was found and should appear in the exact center of your construct's build zone provided you did not add any position offsets to it.
    • If you can't see your model then try modifying the set scale and/or set position offsets on the projector to bring it into focus.
    • If your model is invalid, then you will currently not get an in-game error message and it will simply fail to appear. In this case there will be an "unknown format" error added to your logfile. This Test.obj model is known to be valid and you can use it to test your setup (note you must be logged into the forums to download).

Default Path for 3D Models: 

C:\Users\<username>\Documents\NQ\DualUniverse\holograms

This is the standard directory for .obj files when using the virtual scaffolding projector but the DU client is specifically looking for your Documents folder as defined by environment/registry variables set in your windows PC. I have seen several cases where said Documents folder was redefined to a non-standard path due to third party software like OneDrive. The easiest way to determine where you need to put your models is to check your logfile to see where DU is looking for said model. I will briefly explain how to do so here but if any of this is outside your comfort zone then feel free to reach out to NQ support

Accessing your Main Logfile: 

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\NQ\DualUniverse

In this directory you will see a file called log.html that contains a summary of all errors reported during your last play session. It will have an icon that matches your default internet browser and you can simply double click it to open it up for viewing. Note that AppData is a hidden directory by default but you can access it directly by typing %LocalAppData%\NQ\DualUniverse\log into your explorer's address bar or by going to debug options at the top right of the in-game login screen and selecting show log

Virtual Scaffolding Projector Logfile Entries:

After opening log.html look for any error messages with a yellow highlight that mention your model's filename. If you do not see any then attempt to trigger the projector again and refresh the page to reload the logfile. The most common error is associated with ".obj file reading error" and this will generate the following logfile entry.

MeshFileOBJ::load(): can't open "C:/Users/msoul/Documents/NQ/DualUniverse/holograms/Test_NoFile.obj" file

Whatever path is written there is the exact path you need to place your model. In my case it is just the default location but yours could be different. Note that when entering your model name into the projector it is not case sensitive and the .obj extension is optional.

The other potential error message you can get is for invalid model format and will look like this.

Mesh::load(): unknown format of "C:/Users/msoul/Documents/NQ/DualUniverse/holograms/Test_Invalid.obj" file

If you are seeing this message then your model does not conform to .obj file standards. I recommend you attempt to open it with a versatile 3D modeling software like blender and re-export it again or reach out to the original creator for assistance.

Hope that helps.

msoul

32 minutes ago, Msoul said:

Quick Summary:

• If you are getting an ".obj file reading error" then that means the DU client was unable to find the specified model.
  • If you do not get an error then the model was found and should appear in the exact center of your construct's build zone provided you did not add any position offsets to it.
    • If you can't see your model then try modifying the set scale and/or set position offsets on the projector to bring it into focus.
    • If your model is invalid, then you will currently not get an in-game error message and it will simply fail to appear. In this case there will be an "unknown format" error added to your logfile. This Test.obj model is known to be valid and you can use it to test your setup (note you must be logged into the forums to download).

Default Path for 3D Models: 

C:\Users\<username>\Documents\NQ\DualUniverse\holograms

This is the standard directory for .obj files when using the virtual scaffolding projector but the DU client is specifically looking for your Documents folder as defined by environment/registry variables set in your windows PC. I have seen several cases where said Documents folder was redefined to a non-standard path due to third party software like OneDrive. The easiest way to determine where you need to put your models is to check your logfile to see where DU is looking for said model. I will briefly explain how to do so here but if any of this is outside your comfort zone then feel free to reach out to NQ support

Accessing your Main Logfile: 

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\NQ\DualUniverse

In this directory you will see a file called log.html that contains a summary of all errors reported during your last play session. It will have an icon that matches your default internet browser and you can simply double click it to open it up for viewing. Note that AppData is a hidden directory by default but you can access it directly by typing %LocalAppData%\NQ\DualUniverse\log into your explorer's address bar or by going to debug options at the top right of the in-game login screen and selecting show log

Virtual Scaffolding Projector Logfile Entries:

After opening log.html look for any error messages with a yellow highlight that mention your model's filename. If you do not see any then attempt to trigger the projector again and refresh the page to reload the logfile. The most common error is associated with ".obj file reading error" and this will generate the following logfile entry.

MeshFileOBJ::load(): can't open "C:/Users/msoul/Documents/NQ/DualUniverse/holograms/Test_NoFile.obj" file

Whatever path is written there is the exact path you need to place your model. In my case it is just the default location but yours could be different. Note that when entering your model name into the projector it is not case sensitive and the .obj extension is optional.

The other potential error message you can get is for invalid model format and will look like this.

Mesh::load(): unknown format of "C:/Users/msoul/Documents/NQ/DualUniverse/holograms/Test_Invalid.obj" file

If you are seeing this message then your model does not conform to .obj file standards. I recommend you attempt to open it with a versatile 3D modeling software like blender and re-export it again or reach out to the original creator for assistance.

Hope that helps.

msoul

MSOUL, thank you so very much. It was pointing to the one drive directory. Working as intended now. This guide should be in game IMO.

THANKS AGAIN!! XOXO