Database and Networking

americanspirit

Hey,

will there be a kind of Database? Or maybe just a storage for Plain text? If not, please integrate it!!! It would offer so many cool things !

The second idea that i have would be a Networking System between single stations. Further it would be nice to have a quantum cummunicator (for the LUA machines) to communicate beyond planets.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

An idea just occurred to me, which I also made a post about in general discussion: with this being a persistent universe, variables in Lua should never lose their value once assigned, so would be possible to create a database of sorts by adding/removing values in arrays. The logical next question would then be: is there a way to send a value from one script to another? Or is using "require" to utilize a script within another script allowed? Could maybe have one script act as a central database with functions to add/remove values, and then just "require" it in other scripts to utilize it.

Nevermind, apparently the Lua only runs client-side when you're logged in and near the control element it's attached to, like one-time scripts that only do their thing when an event triggers the script. Oh well. Hopefully we'll get word about there being any way to read/write data with Lua in one of the dev blogs, but it's starting to seem unlikely.