In game currency

Ruukuegg22

Hello, I don't know if this has been asked yet or not, but I am curious as to if the in game currency will have real money value. I don't know if anyone knows what Wurm Online is, but with that, one silver is worth one euro, which makes for a very strong player driven economy. Which is what I was assuming would be in this game. Then I was reading about how selling DACs would be for in game money, not real money, and realized maybe that isn't the intention. Anyway, would love to hear some news! Thanks!

Ruukuegg22

I think the best example of the ingame economy, long term, may be Eve Online. DAC's worth will fluctuate based on supply and demand and as to your example of Wurm there MAY be a parallel in that 1 DAC is worth $14.99 or whatever the monthly sub is but can perhaps be broken down into credits in game. If this is the case than 1 DAC, worth say 500k , makes 500k in game currency worth $14.99 to a person selling their DAC in game to another player. The issue I run into is that for early subscribers DAC will have a significantly lower value than later subscribers making the early adoption of the game an ingame monetary lose.

Actually I would argue that ingame money does not have a real value. Because you cant take money out of the system.

It will have an equivalent value but not a direct value.

Unless you sell DAC earned ingame on 3rd party websites you cant take money out of the game. But that is a buyer beware situation.

Then again DAC is good for 30 days of game time so it has that value.

Hmmmm....????

Actually I would argue that ingame money does not have a real value. Because you cant take money out of the system.

It will have an equivalent value but not a direct value.

Unless you sell DAC earned ingame on 3rd party websites you cant take money out of the game. But that is a buyer beware situation.

Then again DAC is good for 30 days of game time so it has that value.

Hmmmm....

Id disagree with you 1 DAC is worth $14.99 or something akin to that, which mean buying one from someone in game puts $14.99 in the pocket of the person who purchased one with in game currency  because in essence the person they purchased it from has paid their sub for that month.

Id disagree with you 1 DAC is worth $14.99 or something akin to that, which mean buying one from someone in game puts $14.99 in the pocket of the person who purchased one with in game currency because in essence the person they purchased it from has paid their sub for that month.

Yes thats a good point. One I also concidered in my post.

I'm interested to see what other people have to say.

Let's explore the life of a DAC:

Devs sell 1 DAC to Player 1 (P1) for $15.
P1's only "profitable" option is to sell it to another player (P2) for something of in-game value (GV).

P2 has more options. P2 can trade for GV as well, or he could spend it on 1 month of playtime (1M), or he could sell that DAC to another player (P3) for less than the devs' price (let's say $5) through a third-party platform like paypal.

P3 doesn't really have the option to sell the DAC for $ because it's doubtful he could make any more than what he first paid (exceptions would exist, of course).

Dev: 1 DAC = $15

P1:   1 DAC = GV

P2:   1 DAC = GV, or 1M, or $5

P3:   1 DAC = GV, or 1M

So within the DAC system real $ can be made by second-hand DAC owners. I am neither recommending this course of action, nor am I condemning it; just observing.

Did I miss anything?

Some other games with game tokens limit the token to single sale, i.e., player 1 buys it for cash and can only sell it for game money, then player 2 buys from player 1 for game money and can only use the token for game time.

That seems to be a good approach - if that's done, game money will have no cash value.

I play for free and will sell you dacs from time to time, after I messed the price up ofc :)

I don't think you can do that... as soon as you drive the price up to double what it should be, I'm going to buy a bunch of DACs for cash and sell them, undercutting you. Many other pay-to-play players will do the same and you''l be stuck with a bunch of DACs that are worth less than you paid for them.

I don't think you can do that... as soon as you drive the price up to double what it should be, I'm going to buy a bunch of DACs for cash and sell them, undercutting you. Many other pay-to-play players will do the same and you''l be stuck with a bunch of DACs that are worth less than you paid for them.

Who said I will hoard them?

In fact there's only DACs? Not another in-game currency we cannot buy with money?

DACs aren't currency at all. They're game tokens. P2P players can buy them out of game for cash and then sell them in game to F2P players for game money. The F2P player can then turn the DAC in to "pay" for a month of subscription.