Modeling questions ( designing 3d models )

MeerFox34

Everything will be made in-game with the tools provided.

Don't get your hopes up for any 3rd party tools being used in DU...or in any MMO for that matter. It only invites people to take advantage of the system and try and "hack" and cheat anyway they can.

I think they have at least mentioned that they would like to keep everything in the game.  I don't remember where exactly i read that.  And that could always change too.

The whole silly drama with that angry youtube kid and the large ships they've been using in the promo videos was interesting though.  That did seem to show that they can import an outside 3d mesh into the game somehow.

I have no experience with any kind of 3d modeling programs other then building stuff in Landmark.  So i can understand how this would definitely give people who do, a major advantage over me.

I'd still be fine with it though.  I really don't think they should hold back on the building depth at all if they can avoid it.

If it's going to allow people to make even more amazing ships then it seems like a good thing to me.

Moreover, importing a 3D mesh should be costly/have clauses:

1- You avoid battle while disconnected, don't have to be into a secured zone

2- You can make spawn things out of nowhere and this is an easy way to defend yourself for example

3- Anyone could bring prohibited content and it couldn't be supervised

I seem to recall that they will not be converting and importing meshes.  There is software out there that can take mesh and turn it into a .vox.  The problem is, that it would take manpower on DU's part because they want to control the IP of their game.  My guess is one of the first things someone would try to import would be the large "DongOfDoom Star Destroyer" so there would have to be some kind of review process--which would require man hours and I am sure *drama*.  Not mention people attempting to bring in X-Wing Fighters or Starship Enterprises and DU having to deal with IP issues.

Personally I would love to have the option, or the option to bring in my own textures, but I have done 3-D work and have a huge library of textures.  That would also give me an advantage that many would be unhappy with I am sure.  If DU allowed imports, but with a fee to cover the expense of the review process, then people would complain that it was "pay to win".

Sooooo.......all in all....it probably has the chance of a snowball in Miley Cyrus's....um....nevermind.

I'm happy know that the users wouldn't be allowed to implement the uses of modeling programs outside of the engines own capabilities.
In a way it wouldn't really be as constructive on a community level any longer if people could just use something like Blender or Maya.

Though I'll note thanks to Neopolitan dropping a bit of possible info that we might be able to upload images for ship decals that's awesome! I hadn't known that still being fairly new to what devs might have said.  I hope though that we'd also could use said images for signs those on possibly Organization headquarter buildings that might be planet side.

I seem to recall that they will not be converting and importing meshes.  There is software out there that can take mesh and turn it into a .vox.  The problem is, that it would take manpower on DU's part because they want to control the IP of their game.  My guess is one of the first things someone would try to import would be the large "DongOfDoom Star Destroyer" so there would have to be some kind of review process--which would require man hours and I am sure *drama*.  Not mention people attempting to bring in X-Wing Fighters or Starship Enterprises and DU having to deal with IP issues.

Personally I would love to have the option, or the option to bring in my own textures, but I have done 3-D work and have a huge library of textures.  That would also give me an advantage that many would be unhappy with I am sure.  If DU allowed imports, but with a fee to cover the expense of the review process, then people would complain that it was "pay to win".

Sooooo.......all in all....it probably has the chance of a snowball in Miley Cyrus's....um....nevermind.

I don't understand how refusing uploads reduces the review process to prevent the Dong of Doom. Some teenage boy is going to make that using in-game tools as soon as the game is released.

I guess I'll be building ships that look like a box with really good scripting in them, lol. Wonder if they'll sell.

I don't understand how refusing uploads reduces the review process to prevent the Dong of Doom. Some teenage boy is going to make that using in-game tools as soon as the game is released.

I guess I'll be building ships that look like a box with really good scripting in them, lol. Wonder if they'll sell.

Sorry, what's a Dong of Doom?

• 3 months later...

I'm against importing but I hope devs will give us a good tool to create our own constructions. It will be hard to make happy both players experienced in modeling and people without that kind of experience. First group would expect advanced tools for creating great projects and the second one would prefer simple constructing mechanism (like constructing in Space Engineers or Empyrion - more minecraft style).

Well.. nobody is talking about being able to build your factory and automate the build process via LUA. Once this is possible, kind of 3D large scale industrial printer .. why not to import any format?