The Generalization Of Organizations :: Learn From It

OutlandishRep

How common are organizations? Well, there's over 700 of them now. That's a problem. It's not the fact that there are elite organizations filling the first three pages while all the others are insignificant. 

It's much more of a problem than that. I'm OutlandishRep and we'll be taking a look at how Generalized everything in organizations are.

What's the big deal?

Really what would you expect? People like starting an organization that their friends can join. That's no problem in this common world filled with sociable people, right?

That's wrong. The organizations that pander to their friends are fine. It's those that don't go in that area that are a problem. I'm talking about this: 

Finding, making and researching the best tech we can for our buyers. If we can make it you can buy it. If you want to sell it we will buy it. If you want it made we will make it. So come and buy from us.

Quote From Random organization

Now this is borderline slander, right? Well it isn't. I never mentioned the organization name or it's founder. Infact it's founder last online status is this:

Last Active Jul 29 2016

He joined the forum site, created his organization and then left right away. That's no problem for me to address. 

The problem here is how organizations are doing this. It's fine for people to create what they like, but they're filling up the community page with stuff no one wants to see. Ever!

It's like having one hundred star wars orgs. None of them stand out and we all would want them gone if they had the same descriptions like "We're the Empire!" or "Stormtroopers unite!". We'd all want to grab out pitchforks and torches. It's pointless to have this but again, people like that so they can do it. Right?

Wrong once again! This is actually against guidelines Novaquark has set in place! It's to prevent copyright infringement along with other problems. These types or organizations don't really exist because Novaquark filters them out. The problem is that 700 number. It's far too large and people aren't going to go through 700 orgs, over half only containing one member.

What's the big deal though?

Misrepresentation and Clutter

Now we might think that having more organizations is better? Well what would happen if you build two hundred of anything in an area? The market there would become cluttered and everything as a whole will probably collapse. Everyone might dream of having two hundred of something but it doesn't help in this case.

When we do this, we are misrepresenting how many active, healthy organizations we actually have. Let's take the top ten organizations(Excluding DUExplorers, Cinderfall, Raptor Squad, and BOO). We have them in this order as of 23/9/16:

• Terran Union
  • FrogSwarm
  • SilverLight Industires
  • Empire
  • Alliance of Free Worlds
  • The Solar Empire
  • The Aether
  • Diverse Unified Alliance
  • Rooks and Kings
  • Swiss Starships

We see all of these healthy organizations. Well mostly healthy.

To go ahead and say we have 700 organizations is a disgrace to people who run organizations and put any effort in at all.

Work and numbers are generalized in this case, because all work on an organization is treated the same and numbers just simply numbers.

Things don't look good when we do this so we shouldn't. What could be done though?

A Solution?

We can go ahead and say we have 700 organizations, but we can also leave a * saying that it's actually 50 active ones. We can do this by implementing an extra mechanic for organizations. If all of an organization's legates go inactive for a period of over one-three months, the organization isn't displayed on the main page of the community site. They're still there but you have to either search for them or find them in a show all organizations page.

Next up is this: If all organization legates go inactive for over 6-9 months, the organization can be claimed by a member of said organization. What happens if the member is abusive? Who cares. The organization legates obviously didn't care enough to elect a legate to come online for them. The organization is evidently dead.

There is no finite and indefinite solution to the misrepresentation and clutter but this is an idea. We can't be showing all organization on equal grounds, because they aren't. People who put work into them need credit and should be displayed differently.

That is all folks!

These organizations weren't relevent to the points, due to their nature. They may have work put into them, but the point doesn't focus around them. 

No particular reason other than that. 

Especially Cinderfall and BOO, who are groups and collections of organizations and individuals.

Well, there's not a game yet... not even an alpha yet. It may be premature to worry about the claims orgs are making.

An org claiming to be the biggest corp in the universe will have to make that happen when the game starts or they'll look foolish. Same for an org that claims to be a planetary government. The org claiming to be the premier manufacturer will have to do some work to live up to that claim.

My org is just the crew of my ship, which may just be me. And I may decided to be a different character and just build ships instead. Have to see how the game shakes out.

Calm down buddy. First of, the orgs that don't have much members, like for example private ones only because they are friends' orgs, won't destroy the economy by launching havoc all round, there will be the major orgs controlling minors, treaties, or alliances of small orgs (I don't doubt there will be an alliance of private orgs only).

Then, who cares, in games you can make as many orgs as you want, without dissolving them automatically. I mean like guilds... Then if an org owes something to another and starts not being here why not pursue them and dissolve them but we haven't even started playing by far.

@Blacksythe that's a war declaration there.

Yeah I got the point CSYN which is a group of orgs. But yeah here's another point: orgs of orgs have the same visibility, that maybe should change, even though I don't really care, they have a visibility they shouldn't have maybe? We the Empire might want to create something like CSYN then...

Because BOO is made up of Cybrex's alts and crazy people. I cant speak for the other organizations.

The organizations are made up or people who have their own organizations. A mix. That might better explain why they weren't included.

Well, there's not a game yet... not even an alpha yet. It may be premature to worry about the claims orgs are making.

An org claiming to be the biggest corp in the universe will have to make that happen when the game starts or they'll look foolish. Same for an org that claims to be a planetary government. The org claiming to be the premier manufacturer will have to do some work to live up to that claim.

My org is just the crew of my ship, which may just be me. And I may decided to be a different character and just build ships instead. Have to see how the game shakes out.

Here's a benifit to the purposed solutions. If you're starting your own organization, it's beneficial to have it featured. Right now the only way is to get a sponsor or post a ton. The argument isn't that the game isn't out yet but instead that it's mutually benificial to do this.

Calm down buddy. First of, the orgs that don't have much members, like for example private ones only because they are friends' orgs, won't destroy the economy by launching havoc all round, there will be the major orgs controlling minors, treaties, or alliances of small orgs (I don't doubt there will be an alliance of private orgs only).

Then, who cares, in games you can make as many orgs as you want, without dissolving them automatically. I mean like guilds... Then if an org owes something to another and starts not being here why not pursue them and dissolve them but we haven't even started playing by far.

I'm not saying they'll destroy the economy, I'm saying it's bad to make everything sound equal, like activity, even though it's not.

I don't see the problem. We don't even have an alpha yet, and the players that are hopping on now, supporting the kickstarter, and frequently using the forums are likely going to be the pillars of the playerbase, or their org will fade to obscurity most players won't choose their org by wading through the community page, they will either be recruited by a friend, or blind-recruited through pm's or in the game. Its the kind of predictable thing that will solve itself

If the other organizations are as unhealthy as you say, they'll die out anyways. Like you said, who cares?

With the current system they won't. Organizations are etched into eternity. Make a system that gives inactive orgs less of a viewing angle, and things change.

To quote the 'we are The Empire'. There would probably be one group that would want to be exactly like the Empire in Star Wars but who cares? If another smallest wants this title too it would be war, that's all (or Justice court), you will solve your problem as a big boy. lmao

With the current system they won't. Organizations are etched into eternity. Make a system that gives inactive orgs less of a viewing angle, and things change.

They'll still die. They will still "exist" but that doesn't matter if they're not doing anything anyways. 

To quote the 'we are The Empire'. There would probably be one group that would want to be exactly like the Empire in Star Wars but who cares? If another smallest wants this title too it would be war, that's all (or Justice court), you will solve your problem as a big boy. lmao

Not only is "Who Cares?" a favorite catchphrase, it's also wrong! This is strictly against Novaquark policy to create an organization like that. 

Not only is "Who Cares?" a favorite catchphrase, it's also wrong! This is strictly against Novaquark policy to create an organization like that.

"The Empire" is not really something that by itself will get into copyright issues, and if is org is inspired by star wars, that does not make it a problem. If it is similar but still different enough, that should be in the clear.

Is it? I havnt found anything like that and i'm a wealth of useless information please refer me to that link so i can expand the breadth of my useless information.

Let me address you to the Empire. It's a fine organization now, but it used copyright photo's in it's posts. It also has to yeild this notice to appeal to what Novaquark does and does not want:

NOTICE2.png

Empire, Community Page, 23/9/16

"The Empire" is not really something that by itself will get into copyright issues, and if is org is inspired by star wars, that does not make it a problem. If it is similar but still different enough, that should be in the clear.

Hum, okay yeah I didn't know you couldn't do a "Star Wars" labelled org, but it makes the point, loads will thrive to be the first Empire.

Let me address you to the Empire. It's a fine organization now, but it used copyright photo's in it's posts. It also has to yeild this notice to appeal to what Novaquark does and does not want:

NOTICE2.png

Empire, Community Page, 23/9/16

So you are complaining about an org... That is no longer causing this problem?

It kinda sounds like a case of "people are doing something that doesn't appeal to me therefor it is a problem"

Is it? I havnt found anything like that and i'm a wealth of useless information please refer me to that link so i can expand the breadth of my useless information.

Anyway, all this is non-constructive. By the way I hate don't really appreciate when people make polemic thread as that one. I will try not to argue any more there.