wizardoftrash

Could we get an open-topped cockpit for planetary travel?

Yeah, I'm talking hover-bike style cockpit, not unlike a speeder or motorcycle. Here are the potential benefits:

-It would look totally sick!

-Less resources and lighter weight means easier to build and easier to propel ~faster

-The exposed nature would allow players to shoot you dead, despite being in a construct. Since Construct vs Construct combat won't be there at launch, this would allow lower-level play to include some sort-of vehicular combat.

-Can't go into space with it

-This would allow players to have a low-tier transportation system for traveling across a planet surface that is easy to steal/lose but easy to replace

-Organize SWEET hover-races

Plus who doesn't love speeders?

I too would like this to be an option.  Speaking with one of my co-workers we had mentioned that the ability to travel faster than a walk but still not have a great expenditure of resources and/or time would make the "bike" a very attractive option.

It occured to me in someone else's thread (that I didn't want to hijack with this discussion) but man, a voxel SKATE PARK for hover bikes would be fantastic!

Especially since you can't actually crash in this game (so far), it would be hilarious, and hopefully would be buggy as hell. it would make my life complete to do a sweet backflip on my space bike while griefers are trying to kill me and steal my bike.

I too would like this to be an option.  Speaking with one of my co-workers we had mentioned that the ability to travel faster than a walk but still not have a great expenditure of resources and/or time would make the "bike" a very attractive option.

Especially since a bike would consume power or fuel, so it makes it a meaningful choice to walk (slower) or bike (faster, higher initial cost, regular upkeep cost)

In one of the videos it looked like he actually placed one of these hover type engines.

20_engineunit_hovercraft_tmb.jpg

So hopefully they are working on some other planetary vehicle type elements too. 

Yeah that's the hover motor.

It occured to me in someone else's thread (that I didn't want to hijack with this discussion) but man, a voxel SKATE PARK for hover bikes would be fantastic!

Especially since you can't actually crash in this game (so far), it would be hilarious, and hopefully would be buggy as hell. it would make my life complete to do a sweet backflip on my space bike while griefers are trying to kill me and steal my bike.

You see the 'bike' as a hover machine without cockpit then? Like the stuff in Star Wars?

You see the 'bike' as a hover machine without cockpit then? Like the stuff in Star Wars?

Precisely. What would enable a hover "bike" to be a thing would be a steering/seat element that is not an enclosed cockpit, but would serve a similar function, much like the speeders in Star Wars or the Sparrow from Destiny.

People who hate Star Wars? *shrug*

I would really like to see something like this. I also have some elements I'd like to see so I can totally relate.

People who hate Star Wars shouldn't be taken seriously anyways. :P

But yeah seems pretty much common sense to me to have various types of land travel we can build.

Atmosferic thrusters are another way to travel on a planet, I'll maybe put 2 on my hovercraft and see what happens xD

Anyway hovercraft float close to the ground, and are meant to replace wheels, that would be harder to add properly (bugs and glitches because collisions with the ground)

I'm pretty sure there'll be some "open" cockpits, just because it will be possible to build large ships that ofc needs some sort of chair+control panel, like the enterprise

hoverbikee.jpg

great idea,

but sadly we will have to remember that voxel tool wont allow us to build human scale bikes, designs will be very simplified compare to details that we could achieve on large scale spaceships

1524397-o_18ttg855p102dd551mabc8ovld8-fu

this one less sexy, but considering DU will be LEGO like constructions with prefab elements, there is still tons of possibilities

I too have a huge bin of legos :) and the hover bikes don't need to be the size or scale of a bike, but I believe that if a light hover vehicle can be built with three, or even two hover units, I can imagine some pretty slick looking speeder designs even given the voxel scale that has shown up in the previews thus far.

I predict that we will be able to make some fine looking mini-shapes using a combination of the "wedge" shape, the bridge tool (connecting two surfaces), and the subtraction tool to "sculpt" shapes smaller than the small square shape. I'm eager to get my hands on the tools!

I aint waiting 50 years for a damn quantum computer! Good chance I'll be dead by then...

The first created was NASA's in 2015, the first reprogrammable was by some US University in 2016. So yeah it's in a long time, but it basically uses quantum entanglement, so the potential is quite infinite. Damn it I want to live in the future.

The first created was NASA's in 2015, the first reprogrammable was by some US University in 2016. So yeah it's in a long time, but it basically uses quantum entanglement, so the potential is quite infinite. Damn it I want to live in the future.

Yea I know how it works. Entanglemant and superposition.

And we are living in the future man, I remember a time with no internet...thinking back I cant believe how I survived. :P