MagicaVoxel Editor - Easy prototyping for anyone

Danger

Ok, I've seen some people creating posts about Sketchup or even Blender. Don't get me wrong, they are great tools, but totally hardcore and not easy to understand by significant part of player base. I did some research few days ago and was looking not for perfect results (I will look for those later in game), but for tool that will allow me easy and fast prototyping.

And I found this...

MagicaVoxel (https://voxel.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=MagicaVoxel%20Editor&referringTitle=Home)

- quickly prototype anything you want with cubes and save it as .vox (no slopes, but for prototypes it doesn't matter and there is way to auto-add them in the renderer)

MagicaVoxel Renderer (https://voxel.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=MagicaVoxel%20Renderer&referringTitle=Home)

- load your .vox and render cool pictures out of them to show your friends (allows multiple settings as shadows, background, grid visibility, etc.)

Some may say they want perfection. Ok, go use Blender. But those looking for prototyping can create really huge things much faster. I'm going to make tutorial soon and if you are interested in it, you are free to join the Alpha Academy. It's open community for everyone interested in the technical side of game and it's no problem if you are already in organization. See more in the org description or on our discord.

Alpha Academy (community): https://community.dualthegame.com/organization/alpha-academy

Discord: https://discord.gg/MdmyZJZ

Here is small example of what I did roughly in 20 minutes after starting the app for first time ever:

snap0000.png

A voxel 3D engine. Cool, but it's true slopes are lacking. DU support slopes by corresponding two elements (it's a joining function when constructing).

It would be great an engine outside the game like that one to export then into the game, even though you will need to add the necessary components to make your ships or station work.

@Leonis:

At least the so called "inception syndrome" (that's what NQ called it, maybe the name will change?) will be available. It is ingame, but you can build and test and even create blueprints without necessarily having sufficient resources and without anybody being able to bother you. It'll be like some kind of creative mode. There are no plans for external editors or import of designs from third party software besides that, at least as far as I know.

A voxel 3D engine. Cool, but it's true slopes are lacking. DU support slopes by corresponding two elements (it's a joining function when constructing).

It would be great an engine outside the game like that one to export then into the game, even though you will need to add the necessary components to make your ships or station work.

Check the MagicaVoxel Renderer, there is option to render your cubic shapes with same rendering mechanism -> it will auto make the slopes based on corresponding cubes as you can see in the initial post (added image).

Will we be able to load our .vox prototypes into DU as a starting point for our builds?

I don't see an option to get from blender to .vox. I'd hate to not be able to use my existing models. 

I find it unlikely to be able to import anything created outside of the game to ingame world...

I also can recommend (sort of) using Blockscape game. Its some kind of forever-early-access-dead, but as voxel-based constuctor is have some strong points. Main of them - mechanics of building is pretty much close to those of DU (as I can judge from devs videos). Bad thing: stability, building instuments and UI in Blockscape is compete atrocity, so only for rather patient people. 

Another tricky part, I cannot recomend to buy it fo just this experiments. And piracy is so bad... : )