What can I possibly play for now?

wizardoftrash

This game is making me absolutely itch for sime voxel scuplting sandbox and/or scifi gameplay. Any recommendations on a game or tool that is similar in terms of how building works?

I already play plenty of Minecraft, and I'm not sure if I'm ready to constantly surrender my Space Engineer creations to KLANG over and over again. Suggestions?

Landmark is falling apart right now.  I'd avoid it.

A few months ago i might have said it's a great place to practice building with voxels for DU.  But things have really started going down hill.  The basic building tools don't even work right anymore.

Every time they update the game they add one thing no one wants and break three things that no one knows how to fix.

The only other Voxel Sandbox building game I know of right now is StoneHearth. It is currently in Alpha, I believe selling for $20, but they don't seem to be stuck in that Alpha/Early Access wormhole. They're constantly updating it (just released Alpha 18, actually) and are doing what Novaquark is with Transparency. They have weekly streams, and a "Desktop Tuesday" where they explain new mechanics, features, and other stuff.

As to what it is...

So this is the vision: Stonehearth is a townbuilding/ant farm sim set in an SNES style fantasy world

You control a group of "hearthlings", whom you command to build your town. They have quite a few jobs they can take on, such as a trapper, mason, herbalist, and more. You can use the building editor to place templates, or make your own templates to use and share. Enemies will start to show up, and you can fight them back with knights, clerics, archers, and footmen. For being in an Alpha state, there is a surprisingly large amount to do.

But, building has it's bugs. Some won't have all of their scaffolding taken down. Some won't finish. Some won't start at all. But those are the really big complicated, "Giant multi-level castle on a hill" builds that won't start. They've been steadily improving it, but it's slow going.

I'd recommend looking into it.

Everspace asteroids battlefield kicks rocks. Though it's only good looking with action. Empirion is a survival it seems good too. Both have arguments and I hope DU will contain all those.

starmade is another voxel space game..

it seems OK but i havent played it enough to form a real opinion yet

also its somewhat cheap

Thanks to put this here. As its voxel tech its all the more interesting.

You might want to check out Planet Nomads - https://www.planet-nomads.com/. I think it's in alpha and only just released but it might tick the editable voxel box. I personally know very little about it so can't recommend it as such.

In terms of general sc-fi space game then have a look at Elite Dangerous. It doesn't have an editable environment but it's pretty cool and a new update should be landing in the next couple of weeks for the public - http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/08/elite-dangerous-guardians-2-2-details-guide/

You might want to check out Planet Nomads - https://www.planet-nomads.com/. I think it's in alpha and only just released but it might tick the editable voxel box. I personally know very little about it so can't recommend it as such.

In terms of general sc-fi space game then have a look at Elite Dangerous. It doesn't have an editable environment but it's pretty cool and a new update should be landing in the next couple of weeks for the public - http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/08/elite-dangerous-guardians-2-2-details-guide/

Wow neat thanks. I will try to know more about these.

I'd recommend Elite Dangerous. It has its issues but I think that the devs are committed to the game and since it went live they have released a number of major updates (a mixture of free and season passes) - the latest of which is only around the corner. They also have a nice way of slowly getting the community excited about the imminent arrival of a hostile alien species that appeared in previous versions of the game.

For example, you can see the appearance of an alien probe here and the effect it has on a player's ship when scanned -

The nice thing is that the devs have done things like add hidden messages to these alien encounters and the community has poured their time and effort into deciphering them. It adds a nice bit of mystery while also giving the devs have a little bit of breathing space to do their jobs.

I'd recommend Elite Dangerous. It has its issues but I think that the devs are committed to the game and since it went live they have released a number of major updates (a mixture of free and season passes) - the latest of which is only around the corner. They also have a nice way of slowly getting the community excited about the imminent arrival of a hostile alien species that appeared in previous versions of the game.

For example, you can see the appearance of an alien probe here and the effect it has on a player's ship when scanned -

The nice thing is that the devs have done things like add hidden messages to these alien encounters and the community has poured their time and effort into deciphering them. It adds a nice bit of mystery while also giving the devs have a little bit of breathing space to do their jobs.

I have heard that Elite Dangerous is kind of a slow grind to get additional ships that end up playing pretty similarly. Has that changed much with the DLC that the've added?

I have heard that Elite Dangerous is kind of a slow grind to get additional ships that end up playing pretty similarly. Has that changed much with the DLC that the've added?

It's only a grind if you want it to be. I've been playing the game on and off since Beta and still only have a fairly small ship and maybe 10 million credits. For reference, end game ships start at around 500 million entry cost. The big ships are better at almost anything, but they don't open up any new gameplay elements, so I never cared about earning lots of money to upgrade.

Although this will soon change with the addition of passenger missions, for which you'll need specialized passenger ships (which are rather expensive). So if you wanna ferry about paying customers you'd need to grind a bit to get there.

Everything I hear about ED makes it sound like the other meaning of those letters, lol. And, to get any actual content, you have to buy expansion packs in addition to the game, right?

Yes, the plan is one new pack a year. With only the base game you can't land on planets, with the first expansion you can land on airless bodies. Atmospheric planets are still completely off-limits. Since I'm a backer with a life-time subscription their approach never bothered me much. I guess since they plan to keep expanding the game for many years to come they can't finance the development off just selling the base game. Their end goal is a game not dissimilar to what Star Citizen wants to become after all, they just took a different approach to development and financing. And their focus on game features is a different one, obviously.