NovaQuarks latest KS update

Ripper

Woahhhh his changes everything.

Here I was expecting tab-targeting, with just health bars for the individual elements and a collective one for the construct.

This though, this is really impressive, and somewhat intimidating. Now the way a construct is built will be less about cosmetic and more about function. Though part of me is a little dissapointed by that... I'm MORE excited about the possibilities of merging practical and visual design. This is a HUGE jump in the conplexity of combat from what I was expecting, far far more emmersive than eve.

Brb gotta upgrade my pledge

As in real world, the best designs should be about function. Make the best functional design and then you can play with making it look nicer. Some people suggested why not just doing 100x100x100 cube for best protection. Well, it won't move probably too well, it will be huge mass and faster and more agile ship could probably cut through one side with the cube being unable to resist it effectively. You could probably use the same amount of materials to make fleet of smaller ships or big one that will be capable of using all of her firepower at once, also will accelerate MUCH faster and be more agile.

Well a big ass cube worked for the Borg...just saying :)

Haha yea.

I never had physics but does shape matter in space?

As far as I understand it space is a vacuum.

Although I know there is still stuff floating around they call it a vacuum.

Does that mean there is no resistance?

So if you have enough thrust you can make anything fly?

Wouldnt mind encountering a Borg cube.????

Haha yea.

Wouldnt mind encountering a Borg cube.

Shape matters when you want to attach thrusters. And thrusters matter when you want to move your construct.

And if you want a colony-ship of a few hundred meters in length (maybe even kilometers) that is capable of landing on a planet, things might become even more complicated... :)

There are some pieces of concept art that show anti-gravity engines - maybe they'll do the trick for some larger constructs, if they actually make their way into the final game.

Haha yea.

Wouldnt mind encountering a Borg cube.

Yes, it still does. The lack of air resistance only means that one doesn't need constant thrust for a constant velocity. If a car could operate in space, you would only need to accelerate to the speed you want and then take your foot off the accelerator completely.

One way to think about mass is that it's a resistance to acceleration. So if you have a craft with massive thrusters at the back but the mass is evenly distributed, it will be difficult to turn, and presuming DU will have more realistic physics rather than dogfighting-in-space ala Star Wars, it will be more difficult to decelerate.

In comparison, a ship with most of its weight near the back with the thrusters will find it much easier to turn. Deceleration with realistic physics will still be difficult without just placing large thrusters on the front too, though. I think the ideal design will probably be (for a smallish, Millennium Falcon-size ship rather than the Enterprise or Macross) three or so engines at the back, one at the front, and the small mini-thrusters for steering on the four sides.

Yes, it still does. The lack of air resistance only means that one doesn't need constant thrust for a constant velocity. If a car could operate in space, you would only need to accelerate to the speed you want and then take your foot off the accelerator completely.

One way to think about mass is that it's a resistance to acceleration.

Hey thank you, that is a very easy to understand answer.

Is this at all related to the limitation of moving at the speed of light?

That you will never have enough mass to reach the speed of light?

So basicly the greater the mass the more energy you need to move said mass. The vacuum only means that an object in motion will stay in motion. Unless a counter force is applied to it.

Hmm very interesting. I tried to google the answer but google wasnt very helpful.

Thanks! :)

Light speed is an utopia, though it could be achieved by transforming the ship and all it contains into Tachyons and back again into actual cells perfectly connected as it was before. It's pure science madness and light travel should be a difficult thing to achieve in the game.

For the deceleration and acceleration: the build I tried had a propulsion bar on the right, and I mean that king of bar not acceleration, nor speed bar, so I think the ship goes all the time faster when the bar is above 0% and doesn't accelerate when void. For deceleration, maybe adding reactors the other way could do the trick if we can manage which reactors to light, or maybe lateral reactors (as in the pre-alpha) have a reverse option...

Well I took the plunge and pledged in the silver bracket. I got burned on no mans sky and paid too much for it, so I am hopeful this is not another defeat to my bank account. I couldn't resist the in game pet though so the 85 bucks Canadian should be well spent so long as I have something to drag alone with me ????

Well I took the plunge and pledged in the silver bracket. I got burned on no mans sky and paid too much for it, so I am hopeful this is not another defeat to my bank account. I couldn't resist the in game pet though so the 85 bucks Canadian should be well spent so long as I have something to drag alone with me ????

Thanks!

This game needs all the support it can get. :)

On the topic of ship physics, I imagine they'll make it so the physics engine doesn't care where you put your thrusters in relation to the centre of mass, just in which direction the thrusters are facing. Even Space Engineers doesn't care where on the ship you put your thrusters.

I'd love if they went full "hardcore" physics though, just to give people more to think about when designing (and scripting, if they want to do so) their ships.

Also imagine all the noob threads about how their spaceship keeps spinning and doesn't want to fly straight, because their thruster placement is so far off that the standard cockpit LUA script can't compensate anymore.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of ship designing being an advanced player skill. The more headroom there is for player specialization, the more interesting our virtual civilizations will be.

On the topic of ship physics, I imagine they'll make it so the physics engine doesn't care where you put your thrusters in relation to the centre of mass, just in which direction the thrusters are facing. Even Space Engineers doesn't care where on the ship you put your thrusters.

I'd love if they went full "hardcore" physics though, just to give people more to think about when designing (and scripting, if they want to do so) their ships.

Also imagine all the noob threads about how their spaceship keeps spinning and doesn't want to fly straight, because their thruster placement is so far off that the standard cockpit LUA script can't compensate anymore.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of ship designing being an advanced player skill. The more headroom there is for player specialization, the more interesting our virtual civilizations will be.

The devs already mentioned i. An interview that center of mass vs center of thrust will be a larg component of how ships will handle in the game.

Now DU won't have any mass-speed-based collision physics like Space Engineers has, since it is not a physics simulator. They will be able to afford to make thrust more complex if they aren't tracking collision for crash damage each second.

@Phroshy:

In one of the dev blogs

https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2015/09/18/lua-script-and-distributed-processing-units/

they actually talk about plans for something you would call more "hardcore" physics ("...Engines are real (they physically push your ship where they are, with the power they have)"). So if they manage to implement it as planned, thruster positions will matter.

Most likely this would also mean, that the cornering capabilities of ships won't depend on gyros like in SE.

Also, I was right on how combat will be handled all this time. Just bragging. Spotlight Active Lock-On. 

The combat will be a lock and fire system. (Nok : Not a Tab + skill, I asked) The goal is to have a tactical combat more than a reflex combat and also because of the technical issues a too fast fighting system may create latency, etc...

Actually it's what I've been saying all this time.

The devs say it's "lock and fire"; but not Tab target.