Contract Fulfillment: Negative Condition

For the purposes of this thread, I'm operating under the assumption that contracts will have an in-game mechanic that enforces contract fulfillment conditions in an automated way (if person X accepted a contract, and fullfilled its conditions Y, then the reward Z is automatically dispersed through the methods described in the contract without additional player action by defailt).

We would expect to be able to put a hit out on a character or ship through the contract system. Kill "Player 1" report to location Y and receive Z spacebucks contract expires in 24 hours, that kind of thing.

What I'd like to suggest is that the negative of those same conditions be a possible building block of these contracts. For example, rather than Kill "Player 1" within 24 hours be the condition, "Player 1" is not killed within 24 hours also be an option in writing a contract. This would allow orgs to write insurance policies as contracts for ships, effectively provide additional incentive for a bodyguard contract, or allow players to bet on organized free-for-all arena dogfights through a contract system.

This might sound like a no-brainer, in which case great! This would make the contract system more complex, and could create some confusion.

Thoughts?

I will just answer about this assumption. Free of you to say to me I'm off-topic. Do you realize making a real-time transaction at thousands of km of distance is inconceivable, I mean too easy to fit the game? In reality you can't send a message like that. I'm with the team that's for the physical transactions and the sightless transactions at planet's gear capability range (possibility to create internet down in the earth linked to wi-fi bays, satellites with antenna relays on earth, antennas for short-distance transactions). Thanks.

I will just answer about this assumption. Free of you to say to me I'm off-topic. Do you realize making a real-time transaction at thousands of km of distance is inconceivable, I mean too easy to fit the game? In reality you can't send a message like that. I'm with the team that's for the physical transactions and the sightless transactions at planet's gear capability range (possibility to create internet down in the earth linked to wi-fi bays, satellites with antenna relays on earth, antennas for short-distance transactions). Thanks.

Just because we don't know how, doesn't make it impossible in the universe of sci-fi.

To say that contracts should incur a delay based on how far away the parties are, or that only characters within a certain range of where the contract is being issued from can receive it... its a bit off-topic, sounds immersive, but mainly sounds like a nuisance.

They borrow a great deal conceptually form Eve here, in Eve you can issue contracts instantly from any distance (I think). I'm not sure if they want that type of a restriction to be a part of the game.

Now a player may need to use an Information Unit to access, form, or accept a contract (in the same way that they can remotely purchase items). Similarly, a player will likely NEED to pick up the reward for the completed contract from a container in the same way a remote purchase is. Straight spacebux transactions might not need to be picked up, it depends on how the devs envision in-game money to work.

Okay. Yes I mean inter-planet wireless connexion could be possible but with a delay in transmission, also possible with lines of satellites. But not without a relay within hundred of km.

Yeahhh a bit off-topic, and that would be an extreme nuisance for players. Not the kind of thing I would be up for, too susceptible to interference and encourages anarchy. Griefers would have a grand old time if they could knock out interplanetary trade and contracts by knocking off some satellites.

Yes, it's rather unrealistic to have instant transactions but since it is a game it is a necessity. No one wants to wait around a week for a transaction to be completed, the same with communications. All this would do would make people use out of game means in order to communicate and coordinate. 

Yes, it's rather unrealistic to have instant transactions but since it is a game it is a necessity. No one wants to wait around a week for a transaction to be completed, the same with communications. All this would do would make people use out of game means in order to communicate and coordinate. 

The problem is people will use contracts to instantaneously transfer assets half across the universe apart : no need for transportation then.

The more realistic way is you will have to meet again the contractor to physically get your rewards or go to "reward stations" where rewards would be provisioned until the contract is fulfilled or delivery through transportation services (with the risk of loosing your rewards)

The problem is people will use contracts to instantaneously transfer assets half across the universe apart : no need for transportation then.

The more realistic way is you will have to meet again the contractor to physically get your rewards or go to "reward stations" where rewards would be provisioned until the contract is fulfilled or delivery through transportation services (with the risk of loosing your rewards)

That is indeed what I would expect, for the contractor to have to pick up their reward at a physical location such as a Market where the employer has their goods stored.

I thought about long time sending, and faster using relays but also adding a fee that would be accounting how many relays are used, the length of the message (if it's not only cash sent), and the distance. That is. This point of wireless exchange should be well considered it would bring another economy interesting element. Of course sending out of nowhere in space should cost somthing, it's worth it, no gas spending and less time consuming.

I thought about long time sending, and faster using relays but also adding a fee that would be accounting how many relays are used, the length of the message (if it's not only cash sent), and the distance. That is. This point of wireless exchange should be well considered it would bring another economy interesting element. Of course sending out of nowhere in space should cost somthing, it's worth it, no gas spending and less time consuming.

And far less risky : no pirates

And far less risky : no pirates

I'd say if payment were in cash or DAC's (for now both slated to be digital currency), I don't see a problem with making this transaction remote and safe. If payment were items or materials, it would be hard to make a case for anything other than pick-up on completion from a physical market or box.

Plus think about it, risky work (such as transporting goods, mining in unsafe space, attacking outlaws) is already risky, no need to tack on more risk to the payment end of it. On the flip side, safe work (such as mining in a safe area, processing raw goods on-site, etc) should simply be quite secure unless outside forces make it otherwise (for example, mining during a seige would probably be hard).

I'd say if payment were in cash or DAC's (for now both slated to be digital currency), I don't see a problem with making this transaction remote and safe. If payment were items or materials, it would be hard to make a case for anything other than pick-up on completion from a physical market or box.

Plus think about it, risky work (such as transporting goods, mining in unsafe space, attacking outlaws) is already risky, no need to tack on more risk to the payment end of it. On the flip side, safe work (such as mining in a safe area, processing raw goods on-site, etc) should simply be quite secure unless outside forces make it otherwise (for example, mining during a seige would probably be hard).

An alternative solution for this would be to have the contractor deposit the reward at the quest point. An npc broker could even handle this part of the transaction for a set fee of course depending on what the reward is.

An alternative solution for this would be to have the contractor deposit the reward at the quest point. An npc broker could even handle this part of the transaction for a set fee of course depending on what the reward is.

NPC brokers will exist dor the purposes of trade for the earliesr stages of the game, however they will be phased out entirely. Having NPC brokers continue for job purposes would be against their overall goals

Realtime communication af any distance without relays is absolutely possible, especially in the realm of sci fi, but also in the realm of physics. theoretical, but demonstrated, i believe. It is called an ansible. Simplistically, it is a pair of quantumly tied particles that vibrate in sync, regardless of distance.  Please, feel free to look it up.

Edit: for those that don't feel like looking it up: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ansible and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_entanglement

Realtime communication af any distance without relays is absolutely possible, especially in the realm of sci fi, but also in the realm of physics. theoretical, but demonstrated, i believe. It is called an ansible. Simplistically, it is a pair of quantumly tied particles that vibrate in sync, regardless of distance. Please, feel free to look it up.

Edit: for those that don't feel like looking it up: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ansible and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_entanglement

Yes because modern science has proven something impossible, science FICTION cannot do it. ;)

Its a computer game. People instantly message each other across Azeroth in wow without any technology at all. I think we can suspend reality for something so simple.

Not demonstrated. Because not possible.

Quantum entanglement does flip states of ions, but you can't use it to communicate faster than light. Information can't go ftl. Because god plays dice with the universe

My point was not that it is possible in real life, my point was that there is much prior art in Sci Fi for FTL communication. I'll also point to Star Trek's subspace communicators as another example.  So there is no need for the delayed communication / communications relays that people are talking about.  NQ can do what they want and there is lots of lore to choose from for FTL comms.

Yes because modern science has proven something impossible, science FICTION cannot do it. ;)

Its a computer game. People instantly message each other across Azeroth in wow without any technology at all. I think we can suspend reality for something so simple.

I'm not sure you actually read my message...  We are agreeing on the same point.

My point was not that it is possible in real life, my point was that there is much prior art in Sci Fi for FTL communication. I'll also point to Star Trek's subspace communicators as another example. So there is no need for the delayed communication / communications relays that people are talking about. NQ can do what they want and there is lots of lore to choose from for FTL comms.

I'm not sure you actually read my message... We are agreeing on the same point.

My bad! Wasn't reading carefully there XD

Realtime communication af any distance without relays is absolutely possible, especially in the realm of sci fi, but also in the realm of physics. theoretical, but demonstrated, i believe. It is called an ansible. Simplistically, it is a pair of quantumly tied particles that vibrate in sync, regardless of distance.  Please, feel free to look it up.

Edit: for those that don't feel like looking it up: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ansible and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_entanglement

Good idea for sci-fi. It should be implemented in the game... I just think of a device, really expensive and rare for orgs, that would consume tons of energy to work, and would take up a lot of space (in big ships and stations, or planets only, not on little ships). It would create different degrees of transaction possibilities, and would dynamize the economic areas and places (definitely good for places as intergalactic space stations).

Not demonstrated. Because not possible.

Quantum entanglement does flip states of ions, but you can't use it to communicate faster than light. Information can't go ftl. Because god plays dice with the universe

Quantum entanglement seems to be working a little bit as wormholes. A connexion exists because something travels faster than light speed, or the two or else elements are in different places at the same time. Actually I think it's only because we can't measure well enough that we invented quantum physics but... in a sci-fi universe it all gets sense.

Quantum entanglement seems to be working a little bit as wormholes. A connexion exists because something travels faster than light speed, or the two or else elements are in different places at the same time. Actually I think it's only because we can't measure well enough that we invented quantum physics but... in a sci-fi universe it all gets sense.

No, just no....

No information travels faster than light here, it's only the state the ion is in - but you won't know for sure if the other ion is the same until you compare - that being done STL

btt

Good idea for sci-fi. It should be implemented in the game... I just think of a device, really expensive and rare for orgs, that would consume tons of energy to work, and would take up a lot of space (in big ships and stations, or planets only, not on little ships). It would create different degrees of transaction possibilities, and would dynamize the economic areas and places (definitely good for places as intergalactic space stations).

There was an Update on the Kickstarter page explaining there would be a way to make transactions remotely with small range Information Unit Element which will effectively relay the main Market Unit and may be interconnected :

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1949863330/dual-universe-civilization-building-sci-fi-mmorpg/posts/1692359

There was an Update on the Kickstarter page explaining there would be a way to make transactions remotely with small range Information Unit Element which will effectively relay the main Market Unit and may be interconnected :

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1949863330/dual-universe-civilization-building-sci-fi-mmorpg/posts/1692359

Thanks I just don't look at the news most of the time. It will be after the launch, so at first it will be like the physical markets but not for vegetables or meat but more ships and all.

No, just no....

No information travels faster than light here, it's only the state the ion is in - but you won't know for sure if the other ion is the same until you compare - that being done STL

btt

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ansible

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachyon

sci-fi = theory.

Thanks I just don't look at the news most of the time. It will be after the launch, so at first it will be like the physical markets but not for vegetables or meat but more ships and all.

All sort of item/construct will be available on the market, maybe the market owner will be able to set what type of items/constructs you can sell or their market (it would be cool to have specialized markets) but there is no official information about that.