An Open Letter to the Community and a Proposed Compact

Anonymous

sry, but the majority of people isn't (and will never be) educated enough to make a rule of the majority viable, thus defintiely not signing anything like that :P

I for myself am a physicist, and i would never dare to say i should have a part in economic decisions, not even as one of million votes.

That means article 21 is something no one should agree to ;)

In reality I could find it noble. In fact our national constitution is rather pro-citizen or human rights. To be more precise, basic rights as they are called. It's a good thing on paper and in the end in reality. I once heard that many other nations 'envy' us for our constitution. Could just be hear-say or exaggeration of those who like it, but even without external comparison it is more or less pro-citizen or pro-rights. I guess.

However, all that in a game context doesn't work as well I like to think. I'm not a lawyer despite having read a few laws and the constitution. Meaning that I'd have to carefully check each article and aspect again. But I could quickly tell, just my skimming through it on first glance, that I could already not fully agree with specific parts (again in a game context, even IC). Some parts could still not fit (yet).

For example national or international law. Some groups or concepts don't fit well to either where the world today is split up clearly. One also has to consider we're, by all common standards, at least 450 to 500 years in the future. Who knows how the world would tick then in parts of as a whole.

And despite all good intentions - in the end it tries to be universal but people can still ignore it or not sign up. Just like in previous wars and conflicts or perhaps even today where specific nations did not sign specific things such as these. Perhaps I will be proven wrong but for now I mostly see organizational laws and alliance regulations play a more primary role than anything like this in its entirety.

May have to re-assess later.

Unfortunately bad people exist, and also, contrary to this "proposal" or accord, said bad people need to be taught a lesson, either by denying them access to areas by blowing them to smithereens, or by locking them in a cell that they cannot get out of, for a period of time not game breaking but not the equivalent of a slap on the wrist either.

You realize that there are groups and corporations that are being specifically designed to piss people off.   My guess is that as in any social interaction, you are going to have individuals who are hard to differentiate from male appendages.  Given that, no matter what you do, or what digital piece of paper you sign, is not going to prevent that--or prevent you from making an alt so no one recognizes you being an ass for when you've had a bad day at work.

....and, the above digital piece of paper will also, probably, inspire said individuals to greater assitude since it is obviously important to some people.

I agree there are definitely always people who are dickish, in any environment, and sadly there will be people like that in DU. All we can do is to not feed the trolls or let them ruin our day. I'm not aware of any substantial groups being formed in DU in order to piss people off, so I'm curious which organizations you are talking about? 

If you're simply talking about "pirate" groups, or other people who have a different form of gameplay than you, may I remind you that this is a sandbox game. And people who play it differently than you do have every right to do so and should not be vilified as a person simply because you don't agree with them. you can be enemies with someone in game but friendly with them as a person.

That being said, if there are groups that are actually being formed in order to be terrible people, I would still like to know which ones you refer to so that I may avoid them as well.

We are all one community and we shouldn't divide it by letting our real life rivalries spill into the game; nor should we let our in game rivalries spill into real life.

These types of rules look great on paper but if you look at the real world example it's just words. DU will be rules by the guys with the biggest guns and they will make the rules. If you don't like their rules get bigger guns and its your turn

These types of rules look great on paper but if you look at the real world example it's just words. DU will be rules by the guys with the biggest guns and they will make the rules. If you don't like their rules get bigger guns and its your turn

Indeed. Hence why we at Vulture Corporation intend to supply those whos ethos we agree with in an array of ships and weaponry, along with fortifications, starbases and more.