HOW WILL DU HANDLE...

Drakor

Sorry to threadjack (slightly) i was going to post a question right now about the single-shared server myself so seeing this one i may as well add to it.

How will DU handle players connecting from all over the world to one server!?? Im in Australia and generally its 150-300ms lag to servers based in the states or the EU, this is fairly unacceptable for a game of this nature.  There is going to have to be local nodes or the lag is going to be horrendous. Are they planning on using AWS or Azure to load balance the servers?

There is *always* going to be a time when there are players on, so the only thing you can do is pick the time with the lowest server population. in Eve, it was (is?) the ozzies that got hammered, right in the middle of their prime play-time hours.

Speaking as a software dev with a 24/7 server infrastructure, you're always going to have to balance the requirements of patches/fixes/updates and operational uptime. In games it's not so bad, and you can usually rely on a single backup power supply to cope if external power fails, but if our network lost power for even a second, we'd be in serious trouble, so we have backup UPS, Generators, and even a backup power line if it's needed (never been used yet).

DU's servers are going to be of a similar size to Eve's I would imagine, so the backup power requirements would not be inconsiderable.

Remember, hamsters have little legs they need rest too.

This is how you troll as captain obvious joke about captain obvious questions? I've seen a post of yours like that in another topic.

It's a single shard, not a single server. They can do rolling maintenance a few servers at a time.

Will they run their own server farms or use a cloud server service?

I heard the word 'cloud' as questions about servers were asked. I don't know much though, so there will be cloud normally but maybe also owned servers idk. Maybe a Q&A thread mentions that.

This is how you troll as captain obvious? I've seen a post of yours like that in another topic.

Excuse me?

It was a harmless joke.

Show me 1 post where I troll because good sir I never troll. Seriously go find it and call me out.

Excuse me?

It was a harmless joke.

Show me 1 post where I troll because good sir I never troll. Seriously go find it and call me out.

I said that only because its a running gag of yours, I saw it once before. Edited.

I said that only because its a running gag of yours, I saw it once before. Edited.

Its ok man I am happy we cleared that up. :)

On topic: The said truth is I dont think there is ever a good time for server dowtime. There is always someone who will suffer. Even more with 1 single shard.

But perhaps with cloud tech server downtime will be less? Not sure I'm not a tech wizard. :)

I think keeping the server (cluster) all the time online, by changing one server amid the cluster as the others still run (some other buddies said that already here).

The other problem would be to keep changes while the game is still running 24/7, even though you are changing a server: you should do a backup of this server to broadcast the copy to change things on the true one and set it back after keeping the changes the copy underwent by fusing both server. Mind blow, not to mention how those two changes fused could actually do that without concordance issues.

Server technology is a real matter, we will hear about it more I hope.