Naming Planets and Star Systems

BliitzTheFox

Not really the same idea. In mine the name chosen would be the permanent name. The first to discover/claim it would be the one to pick a name from the list. Then that's the planets name forever. It sounds ridiculous to me that a planets name would constantly change. Ownership and control changes sure but not the name.

Totally ridiculous. It would be preferable to have the constant name and then 'TU district' for example if TU owns the planet.

I think NQ should have a repository of hundreds of potential names. Let the person who discovers it pick from the list of names, or allow them to input a suggestion and have NQ approve it.

+1

I think if you let people name the planets it would be a disaster.  You would need an army of staff to regulate the ridiculous names that would appear, not to mention the offensive titles.  'Now Orbiting planet 'Super Awesome Turbo Rocket Cool Place''

It's a tricky problem. 

I'll start by mentioning that JC recently said in an interview that if an organization claims 70% of the tiles on a planet, the planet and the space around it, will be considered "owned" by that organization. If it gets back down to 60% they lose it. The 10% buffer insures the planet isn't constantly changing hands.

I suggest a combination of territorial claim and procedural generation method. By default, the names of planets are procedurally generated (perhaps the the nearest 100 planets near Alioth the devs will selectively name). However, if an organization has reached the 70% bar, they get to name it whatever they like. This way reduces the the likely hood of low-quality names while preserving the emergent aspect.

This is basically what I was about to post.

Start with procedurally generated names, and if an organization gets 100% (maybe less) control of a region (planet or larger) either delegated to them, or through total domination, they get to choose the name through voting or whatever system they please. Therefore it would be up to the community to make sure unqualified people (read: trolls) don't get absolute power over a region (probably won't happen). And then developers would naturally have a veto abilities to remove names that are against their ToS or whatever.

Unpopular opinion...

We simply don't really get to name any planets?  I'm sure the devs will try to create some possible lore/backstory for many of the systems which would be broad names like

Alioth System:

Alioth (Prime)

Alioth I

Alioth II

etc...

Maybe, just maybe, once the more powerful orgs start to establish some footholds on Alioth and send out probes to discover other systems, the devs might take it upon themselves to reach out to the community to name some new planets. Then some of the thread ideas will be implemented.

Over the scope of the game seems to be much more condensed with quality over quantity being the driving force of the game.

This is basically what I was about to post.

Start with procedurally generated names, and if an organization gets 100% (maybe less) control of a region (planet or larger) either delegated to them, or through total domination, they get to choose the name through voting or whatever system they please. Therefore it would be up to the community to make sure unqualified people (read: trolls) don't get absolute power over a region (probably won't happen). And then developers would naturally have a veto abilities to remove names that are against their ToS or whatever.

I like this idea, or instead of voting for the name, you could just make it really expensive to rename a planet, that would deter alot of bad names. 

To be fair I think the only person that should have the right to rename a planet would be the person that initially discovered it.  Maybe some kind of token as proof of discovery, maybe an option to sell the token on the market.

That way at least if you can't afford to rename it you can hold onto the option until you can.  It would avoid having only the biggest Orgs being able to rename planets.  Until the token is used the planet keeps its procedural name.

Yeah, i also think that "planet names for sale" could be another flourishing trade in DU.

The thing is: let the people create their own world, as freely as possible (within certain limits, so the virtual human kind wont be able to destroy Alioth in a few months, hahahha).

:lol:

If there is planet systems, they should have random generated names like you guys said. So for example : HS4-RD. The planets would also have these kinds of name so HS4-RDa, HS4-RDb etc. The a-b-c-d are an order for the placement of the planets in the system. However something interesting would be to name planets when you control like 70% of it, like some of you pointed. An idea I have would be that if an organization controls the majority of the planet system or 70% or more of all the planets in it, they could change the system's name and planets would have names like : LAU-PSa, LAU-PSb, etc. Another option would be that organizations that controls the system could also name all the planets differently, for example: Pluto, Saturn, Neptune etc. Anyway, there's a lot of possibilities with names but it'd be cool to have the choice of how we want to name planets or planet systems.

I like the idea of Organizations or players that control a territory or even a planet being able to name it.  And the name showing up on maps and other places.  But i don't think the name rights should be permanent.  

You should definitely have to maintain control in some way to maintain the name.

There are plenty of other ways to reward people for discovering a planet.  You should really have to do more then just fly by it to get to name it though.

I like the idea of Organizations or players that control a territory or even a planet being able to name it.  And the name showing up on maps and other places.  But i don't think the name rights should be permanent.  

You should definitely have to maintain control in some way to maintain the name.

There are plenty of other ways to reward people for discovering a planet.  You should really have to do more then just fly by it to get to name it though.

There are actually (they should be) a lot, a lot of planets or small planets. Going by all a planet's territory or most of it would be really really long. Imagine you are only a small org and want to be known as the first to have landed there, you should leave a mark forever, would be great.

EDIT (off) : Then photos to take in the game and directly share into it (or post as posters/ on screens) should have a date and coordinates corresponding, that way we keep souvenir of what would be no more after a while. Civilisations can be destroyed, constructions erode...

Edited by Leonis