Naming Planets and Star Systems

BliitzTheFox

I think the same. Saturn is Saturn.

Yes but saturn was never conquered by any organisation.

In history when a territory was conquered the name of the city/region/country sometimes changed for example englishmen didn't knew how to pronounce french cities correctly and sometimes renamed them with a syntax error.

Another example is when the roman empire conquered territories they named them, Gaul was never named this way by its inhabitant which were not referring it by anything since it was inhabited by numerous non allied tribes with each their own named territories.

Another yet : the inter-continental city Constantinople was named by the roman empire and was renamed Istanbul when the Ottoman empire conquered it.

Wikipedia on the subject : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographical_renaming

So in the context of spatial conquest it makes sense to be able to rename a planet you conquered.

Yes I know about that. Yes we're in a game. It takes decades to change a geographical name, we won't change a lot our planets, maybe our territories more... I know about Constantinople, it was Byzantium before that, and something else before...

I think the comparison with real life breaks on the scale of time.

In real life regions dont flip ownership as fast as potentially in the game.

Real. Altthough it would be disturbing to see planets changing names all the time.

I think the comparison with real life breaks on the scale of time.

In real life regions dont flip ownership as fast as potentially in the game.

Well if there is a raging war between two organizations to control the planet and the control shifted frequently then I doubt they would care about changing the name of the planet each time but would concentrate on defense instead.

Anyway, the proposal was that you needed to own 70% of a planet to be able to change it's name. Going from 30% (in the best case) to 70% doesn't seems so quickly feasible lol.

Plus if the planet has an history of it's names across time you could always refer to it with an old name everyone knows and wait till the new planet's name is stable to use it.

Plus if the planet has an history of it's names across time you could always refer to it with an old name everyone knows...

How?

If I use a planet name that has been recognized for a while, but the planet is no longer named that, does the player I am talking to have to go dig through a long list of previous names on every planet to find the one I am talking about?

Or, when they search a planet name, it comes up with a list of all the names that planet has had: "Asgard", a.k.a "Sardis", a.k.a "Zorg", a.k.a "Adarius" a.k.a........

What about planets that have been renamed, and the old name gets used by a new planet? "Your search has returned 7 planets in 4 different regions that are currently, or have been named: "Roku". For more information,please select the correct planet from the list."

I guess each planet could have an unchangeable hidden designation, like, "ADX-792-B". It doesn't show up unless you specifically type it in, or go to a special search option in the database. But then people would just start using that to refer to planets, because it's stable​.

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, I just see a lot of difficulties with a non-permanent naming system, with no really good ​way to keep everyone on the same page. :(

I feel like the best way to do this is to have generated names like PX-45 and letter-number names from start, but then when someone makes a territorial claim on the planet they can host a planet-wide or territorial referendum about the name where the org leaders either use suggested names within the org as candidates or just come up with their own.

I think it is simple, some gave the solution or alternative already. A hard generated name that stays and one you can apply. Most will eventually refer to the given, not generated name as it would be easier most of the time. But when in doubt you can ask for the generated one or search for it. Chances are not many places will have their name changed often within a relatively short time.

Time will tell, but I see no big issue here.

The thing is the conquerors of earth or raider discovered new lands as thought there were holy places, like the planets, places out of our reach. Their journeys seemed so inconceivable to redo they basically said it wouldn't be possible to redo it freely with no ease, it was almost an impossible travel. So they claimed their lands and now, loads subsisted hundreds of years with the same name. I'm okay with some sort of vote-or-war possibility to rename planets or get back old name.

I've had another idea! How about the world generated a truly boring name for each planet, for example "Planet-001", "Planet-002"...etc. This would obviously mean people want to give the planets their own personal touch, as no one wants boring planet names.
Then, the game then gives each user the ability to name the planet for themselves. Each person calls the planet what they want.

However! (This is the good bit)

When you go to name the planet for yourself, there is a list of what EVERYONE ELSE has named the planet, with the most frequently used names nearer the top and showing next to each name how many others have named it so.

This means that the best name would become the most popular, it is decided by the people with a strange type of open democracy, the stupid names will always die out, and a planet will almost always get a definitive name. I can't think of anything else that would work anywhere near as well as this. What do you guys think?

I've had another idea! How about the world generated a truly boring name for each planet, for example "Planet-001", "Planet-002"...etc. This would obviously mean people want to give the planets their own personal touch, as no one wants boring planet names.

Then, the game then gives each user the ability to name the planet for themselves. Each person calls the planet what they want.

However! (This is the good bit)

When you go to name the planet for yourself, there is a list of what EVERYONE ELSE has named the planet, with the most frequently used names nearer the top and showing next to each name how many others have named it so.

This means that the best name would become the most popular, it is decided by the people with a strange type of open democracy, the stupid names will always die out, and a planet will almost always get a definitive name. I can't think of anything else that would work anywhere near as well as this. What do you guys think?

This would be like an opened vote in fact.

Not really a bad idea, but you would still run into the issue of different people calling it different things.

I could see this being used as a long-term voting option though, where eventually the list is "closed" for suggestions, and players are forced to choose one of the 75 names that have already been used. After that, the list would slowly shorten itself over time. Whenever a name is struck from the list, whoever was using that name would be forced to pick from another name on the list. Eventually, the list would come down to the top three names, at which point the players vote on the ​permanent ​name for the planet.

This would allow for names that are simply "fad" to die out, while the solid choices stick around.

For example: a planet is known by all of these names, with the most popular being listed on top, next popular second, and so forth:

1. Akna
  2. Reborn
  3. Judla
  4. Excur
  5. Half-baked
  6. Nada-724
  7. Just-cuz
  8. Noware
  9. Junque
  10. Dead Meat

Now, lets say the list starts to shorten itself up, dropping the names Dead Meat, Junque, and Noware. The majority of the players who chose those names move further up the list to names like Judla and Half-baked. These additional picks tips the balance of the list, so now it looks like this:

1. Akna
  2. Judla
  3. Half-baked
  4. Reborn
  5. Excur
  6. Nada-724
  7. Just-cuz

This could keep happening until the final name is chosen, which might ​not​ be the first name that was popular.

...What do you guys think?

I honestly think thats not such a great idea. Just imagine how difficult communication would be in that scenario.

While a popular name will emerge in that scenario it also means some people will call it by the 3rd popular name. Unless you know all possible names per planet just imagine 2 parties trying to communicate. It would be difficult to say the least.

But dont take this answer as me being mean. Just trying to explain why its not such a great idea. In my opinion of course. :)

I honestly think thats not such a great idea. Just imagine how difficult communication would be in that scenario.

While a popular name will emerge in that scenario it also means some people will call it by the 3rd popular name. Unless you know all possible names per planet just imagine 2 parties trying to communicate. It would be difficult to say the least.

But dont take this answer as me being mean. Just trying to explain why its not such a great idea. In my opinion of course. :)

I don't think it will be a problem at all. In the first week or so of a new planet existing, I'm sure that there will be no solid name. But after a month or more, I think the amount of infrastructure that would entirely solidify the highest used name. First case is 5 people there, 2 want to call it "Dogland", 1 wants to call it "John's planet" and the other two "Tatooine". A few months go by, bigger things get built, cities spring up (lets call one of them "Greenish City"), markets are established, more people move there, and you've got 50 people calling it "Greenish", 7 calling it "Wombat faction homeworld", and then loads of individuals calling it what they want. Even though there may be more than one name for a place, that doesn't necessarily make it wrong or entirely confusing. No single country or place really ever has just one name, but there is always a "most popular" and the rest are usually identifiable. For example, just take a look at all the things New York has been called (directly pasted from Wikipedia):

Yes I see what you mean.

But I really think people trying to talk about a location such as a planet will be difficult if there are several names for a planet.

1 group calls the planet Bob.

The other talks about Dave.

If neither party knows about the other groups name, how will they communicate effectivly?

How can you deliver goods on Bob if you know it by Dave?

We name things to communicate efficiently I feel your solution goes against that.

But this is my opinion, so feel free to agree or disagree. :)

I believe each group can have a 'hidden' name for each planet (to avoid spies), so they would basically vote for a name, or choose it amongst high grades, who knows what org wants, each to his own... Then, the public name of planet shouldn't be possibly changed before a long time, like every season say, or after a major update during a limited period of time.

I just feel like it shouldn't be left in players hands. Now I'm usually not one to claim OMG MY IMERSIONS!! with stuff but yeah would MUCH prefer to have planet names that actually fit the universe.  

Maybe as a compromise the Dev can make a HUGE list of names and then when the planet gets claimed/discovered w/e the player can choose one from the list.

I just feel like it shouldn't be left in players hands. Now I'm usually not one to claim OMG MY IMERSIONS!! with stuff but yeah would MUCH prefer to have planet names that actually fit the universe.  

Maybe as a compromise the Dev can make a HUGE list of names and then when the planet gets claimed/discovered w/e the player can choose one from the list.

The list of names idea was just up there ↑

I just feel like it shouldn't be left in players hands. Now I'm usually not one to claim OMG MY IMERSIONS!! with stuff but yeah would MUCH prefer to have planet names that actually fit the universe.

Aaaw but then I'll miss out on finding planet Bob. :P

Opinions, like city names, change often.  It seems feasible to have changing city/region/territory names based off our own historical data.  That being said:

The first civilization known to have a functional theory of the planets were the Babylonians, who lived in Mesopotamia in the first and second millennia BC. The oldest surviving planetary astronomical text is the Babylonian Venus tablet of Ammisaduqa, a 7th-century BC copy of a list of observations of the motions of the planet Venus, that probably dates as early as the second millennium BC.[19] The MUL.APIN is a pair of cuneiform tablets dating from the 7th century BC that lays out the motions of the Sun, Moon and planets over the course of the year.[20] The Babylonian astrologers also laid the foundations of what would eventually become Western astrology.[21] The Enuma anu enlil, written during the Neo-Assyrian period in the 7th century BC,[22] comprises a list of omens and their relationships with various celestial phenomena including the motions of the planets.[23][24] VenusMercury and the outer planets MarsJupiter and Saturn were all identified by Babylonian astronomers. These would remain the only known planets until the invention of the telescope in early modern times.[25]

So, we can infer that the planets names have remained relatively unchanged for ~3000 years.  In that time frame, many cities have changed names numerous times.  The most sense is to have a generated name followed by one rename to a "friendly" name - SH4-RD to Sontara.  Perhaps the rename would be best suited for the first organization/person to hold 70% ownership of the planet.  The name chosen would be approved by celestial neighbors.

A possible and fair way: to name them with the nickname of the founders (the players who helped to make this game real). By order of date of their contribution in Kickstarter campaign.

And if some of those nicknames are ridiculous, the organization of the explorer who found the planet (or system, moon, etc) can modify them properly.

Simply a fair way between other good ones. Perhaps several of all these ideas we expose could be applied.

A possible and fair way: to name them with the nickname of the founders (the players who helped to make this game real). By order of date of their contribution in Kickstarter campaign.

And if some of those nicknames are ridiculous, the organization of the explorer who found the planet (or system, moon, etc) can modify them properly.

Simply a fair way between other good ones. Perhaps several of all these ideas we expose could be applied.

Actually you gave me the idea. Giving a name to the first planet you encountered in first could be could. You couldn't choose a name but is would be your user name, without all the 'Xx', numbers and all, and not if it's some weird name like TheStrongWarrior, in that case you should choose between 'Strong' and 'Warrior' for your planet name. This would limit the names one could choose. Of course the buddies having a too weird user name would just have to choose amongst a list.

The list of names idea was just up there ↑

Not really the same idea. In mine the name chosen would be the permanent name. The first to discover/claim it would be the one to pick a name from the list. Then that's the planets name forever. It sounds ridiculous to me that a planets name would constantly change. Ownership and control changes sure but not the name.