For the devs: What you can do to make me donate

Semproser

I want to donate, I really do. I've loved everything I've seen so far. However, as a community we've been burned before by countless other games that have done similar things, announced themselves early with great prospects and then taken our money and given us tripe. 

What you could do that would make me believe in you enough to donate and open my heart to you would be this:

!---Get the community involved---!

Seeing everything you've done so far, all of it has been dev showcases. 0% of it has been from a player who isn't part of your company, and that worries me. Other than one video where a dev played and an outside man talked, its all been dev work. I want to see what people can really do, build, find. So more specifically, what would really get me going is if you gave several big youtubers free reign over a certain aspect of your game, give them a planet or moon in which to gather resources, build a house, a base, a village, and a ship or two.

Even more specifically, I suggest SkyLordLuke (a supremely talented StarMade ship creator, he is by far your best bet at showing off how powerful your ship creation mechanics can be) and Scott Manley (as he is a fairly intelligent Astrogamer who will be able to provide decent footage and input). If not for anything else, if they did make a video about Dual Universe the kickstarter popularity would increase dramatically. 

If your ship creation tools are as good as you say they are, SkylordLuke will make you the best ships possible and make it look easy - and if you can get Scott Manley interested, you can get me interested. Simple as that. 

I appreciate your current transparency a great deal, but what you're holding back is simply too much of a worry for me to get myself invested in this game.

*EDIT*:  The recent open house event has given the community the ability to confirm what has been shown to us, and as such everyone I've talked to that attended the event seemed to have only good things to say about the development team and what they experienced there. This is the sort of thing I was looking for, thank you NQ. 

Not sure if I agree with Scott Manley being a good spokesperson, at least not at this stage. The game is currently little more than an impressive tech demo, and I don't think Scott is the type of guy who'd enjoy building nice looking space ships which little actual functionality.

But now that you mention it, sending out a playable client to popular Youtubers might have been a good strategy. Not sure if NQ could still get this done in time before the Kickstarter ends.

Ripper is right btw, NQ invited whoever wanted to come over for a tour through their office and demo of the game. The game engine does evidently work as advertised. But actual game mechanics are as of now practically non-existent.

!---Get the community involved---!

I appreciate your current transparency a great deal, but what you're holding back is simply too much of a worry for me to get myself invested in this game. 

What are they holding back?  They're doing interviews every few days, inviting ppl to the office.  So, if you get Scott Manley interested you will no longer worry?

They are doing a pretty good job being open and honest about the state of the game, but it wouldn't be a terrible idea to get some youtubers to play around with it. 

JC did do an interview with Markeedragon, who is a big EVE youtuber/streamer, which was pretty cool.

Honestly, I feel bad for NQ. It can't be easy trying to drum up support for an infinite space game in a post-No Man's Sky era. Regardless of what you think of the game, it's undeniable that it upset a large number of gamers and made people a lot more skeptical of in-development games.

75 backers showed up to their open house LAST NIGHT and played the pre-alpha on a multi-player test server.

How much more open can you get?

Footage. I want footage of people doing things, flying around, building houses and space stations, showing us what can happen. If I didn't go to that event, as most of the people here didn't, I've still not seen any footage from anything created purely by someone from the community. So far, all we've seen creation wise is the ship that they use to get around in - its the exact same design in every demo, the space station that was imported and not built, and a few large ships that were also imported and not built. I want to see a build in progress! 

I believe that you may be overestimating how far along the project is.  

I think that at the moment all this "game" is in its current state is 3 planets, 1 star, a few imported ships and space station... and a building tool. So I'm not sure why it would be so difficult to get footage of a few community members running around one of the 3 planets getting resources (if that's implemented yet), and building a few things. I want to see this project succeed with flying colours, but I want proof that everything they've said so far isn't just empty words like so many other projects with "prospect and ambition". 

Well if you can't be asked to contribute based on what you see then I see no reason why the dev team should bend over backwards to make you happy.

I agree, the Devs should be doing more to show off their game. I would like to see some footage, I would like to see some examples of what you can build beyond the three things from the videos. But I don't need to have those things to back the game because I'm not a horrible cynic.

Also, coming onto the forums essentially trying to bait the devs into pandering to you is in rather poor form.

What are they holding back?  They're doing interviews every few days, inviting ppl to the office.  So, if you get Scott Manley interested you will no longer worry?

If enough people get their hands on a working demo and without being bribed still think that NQ can deliver on what they've said, and haven't bigged up their claims, then that's the perfect scenario. Everyone wins. Scott Manley is just a good example of a member of the gaming community that would want this to succeed and I would trust to give an insightful and unbiased opinion on what the game is like after a hands on experience <-- that's what I want. 

@Semproser...  they in fact did build a ship from scratch and flew it.  I totally get your caution.  We been burned so many times.  Personally, I think they should have had more to show us before the KS.  I do agree with you on that.  However...  maybe it's the gambler in me... or the sucker in me but the team is incredibly talented, coming from strong positions in business and technology.  It's enough of a hedge for me that says the odds are fairly good this will materialize.   MMO's are never a sure thing but the force is strong with this one I feel.

Well if you can't be asked to contribute based on what you see then I see no reason why the dev team should bend over backwards to make you happy.

I agree, the Devs should be doing more to show off their game. I would like to see some footage, I would like to see some examples of what you can build beyond the three things from the videos. But I don't need to have those things to back the game because I'm not a horrible cynic.

Also, coming onto the forums essentially trying to bait the devs into pandering to you is in rather poor form.

I just want this to succeed. I think the best way for that to happen is to get more donators, and if there are others that think like me then they best way to convince them is to get inbiased opinion of a hands on experience from as many people as possible in the public light. In the same regard, if someone said "Drink this black liquid, I swear it wont kill you" I'll trust that less than watching 30 people drink the same liquid and not die. At the end of the day, if they want my money they have to convince me to give it. I just wrote an instruction manual on how to take my (and hopefully quite a lot of others) money. I'm trying to help here. I'm not trying to be spiteful 

To be honest, if you don't trust in the project now, I don't see why you'd trust in the project after seeing some Youtubers build pretty ships. There are still a million things they can get wrong building this game, so much of the game design is still up in the air, so many important decisions that can make or break the game...

Basically all they've proven by now - if you choose to believe their videos - is that they're capable of building a functional game engine with voxels and that they excel at netcoding. They still have to prove themselves capable of building an actual game around these things.

I'm not hating here, I still agree with you it'd be a smart move to reach out to more Youtubers to get the word out. I guess I'm just wondering about your thought process.

To be honest, if you don't trust in the project now, I don't see why you'd trust in the project after seeing some Youtubers build pretty ships. There are still a million things they can get wrong building this game, so much of the game design is still up in the air, so many important decisions that can make or break the game...

Basically all they've proven by now - if you choose to believe their videos - is that they're capable of building a functional game engine with voxels and that they excel at netcoding. They still have to prove themselves capable of building an actual game around these things.

I'm not hating here, I still agree with you it'd be a smart move to reach out to more Youtubers to get the word out. I guess I'm just wondering about your thought process.

What I'm thinking here is that they haven't shown us much, but what they have shown us looks great. I just want to know if everything they have actually said so far is true before I start believing their promises about the rest of the game. If so, I can then have some trust in them. 

Basically all they've proven by now - if you choose to believe their videos - is that they're capable of building a functional game engine with voxels and that they excel at netcoding. 

Exactly this. I do not trust their videos alone as they are from a bias source. If we have external proof of this, I can start trusting them. 

Since I was there yesterday rest assured the tech demo is real, it has it issues but it is more a proof of concept in this state than a product.

(And for a tech demo its really pretty :-)

It was the same world as used in every video so far and we found JCs changes he made.

I'm looking forward to the final product and I'm sure it will be something decent.

Fortunately I had the opportunity to chat with Mr. Baillie yesterday and he is more hyped than me, so I have no worries to leave my money there.

Even if it's not decent at launch it will become something awesome over time since the strong point of MMOs is continued development.

The way I see it, NQ has done everything they can reasonably be expected to do, given the current state the game is in. You can't have players play it because the game is incomplete and by handing over the game to an independent source, the representation of the game would not reflect the final product. 

You haven't seen certain key game features because they are still in development and are missing in the current pre-alpha build of the game. So yes, by backing you are saying that you trust NQ to make the game playable even if it isn't currently in that state. Personally, the enthusiasm and vision that NQ has for this game is enough to gain my trust. Whether they are succesful or not I won't regret backing their vision.

As one of the backers invited to their in house event, there was no point in making any footage as it was exactly as the devs depicted it, on the exact same map, with the exact same playable fps that was quite impressive for a pre-alpha.

If you need more than community confirmation, you are not worth the money you may back at this point.

you seem to be a safe goer, those who adopt games that work, and wants its bang for the buck guaranteed.

We backer are riskers. We hope it works, but are willing to make a loss for a far greater gain: an awesome game.

With only a pre rendered video i would have only given a 10th max of what i gave, but here we got active devs giving in game footage every 3-4 days wich is too short notice to make fakes, and i had the chance to play the game, and that was extremely convincing. But the game in its state only has the engine, nothing too fancy, barely enough to showcase the power of their engine. There is no way it is actually playable because the base mechanics werent implemented yet, but the engine is the down face of the iceberg, and the mechanics + design its tip. They showed the bottom of it.

Most hoaxes only ever show the tip.

i think that is the biggest difference there is.

After that, the devs are awesome and competent, far beyond your average dev.

As one of the backers invited to their in house event, there was no point in making any footage as it was exactly as the devs depicted it, on the exact same map, with the exact same playable fps that was quite impressive for a pre-alpha.

If you need more than community confirmation, you are not worth the money you may back at this point.

you seem to be a safe goer, those who adopt games that work, and wants its bang for the buck guaranteed.

We backer are riskers. We hope it works, but are willing to make a loss for a far greater gain: an awesome game.

With only a pre rendered video i would have only given a 10th max of what i gave, but here we got active devs giving in game footage every 3-4 days wich is too short notice to make fakes, and i had the chance to play the game, and that was extremely convincing. But the game in its state only has the engine, nothing too fancy, barely enough to showcase the power of their engine. There is no way it is actually playable because the base mechanics werent implemented yet, but the engine is the down face of the iceberg, and the mechanics + design its tip. They showed the bottom of it.

Most hoaxes only ever show the tip.

i think that is the biggest difference there is.

After that, the devs are awesome and competent, far beyond your average dev.

Now this is EXACTLY what I want to hear. As the event only happened yesterday there aren't too many reports of how accurate any of what they've said has been, its been mostly conversations between the attenders of the event and the devs with thoughts on ideas in the game. Now apart from this thread I'd seen maybe 1 or 2 people say the demo was exactly as shown, but with this thread, that makes 4 now. This is exactly the kind of proof I'm looking for, thank you. 

I feel like this is a fairly unfair statement. You're making assumptions about me based on very little. I am not a man of faith, I need proof before I will believe something. I really don't see whats unfair about asking for proof these devs aren't lying about what they're saying before throwing my money at them. Also, what on earth is "you are not worth the money you may back at this point."  meant to mean? By wanting to know that I'm not throwing my money into a bottomless pit that makes me worthless? How rude. Remember that before today we've had no community confirmed proof of anything they've said, but thanks to this event we do now. That also means you've got a hell of a load more clear an idea what this game is really like than me. 

with the exact same playable fps that was quite impressive for a pre-alpha.

From the footage I've seen, I am impressed outright. However on that note, do you have any idea the specs of the machines they were running it on? And maybe what FPS on average? I've got a few friends that are interested in this but are entirely uninterested as they own potato machines and aren't convinced they'd be able to run it when it comes out. 

From the footage I've seen, I am impressed outright. However on that note, do you have any idea the specs of the machines they were running it on? And maybe what FPS on average? I've got a few friends that are interested in this but are entirely uninterested as they own potato machines and aren't convinced they'd be able to run it when it comes out. 

Keep in mind the game's official launch is planned to be by the end of 2018. I imagine your friends may own better and more futuristic potatoes by then which may be able to run the game.

I'd actually be really interested in required system specs, too. I'm not worried since I own quite a high-end PC, but I'm curious nontheless, as I can't think of much to compare this game to. There are other complex voxel games, yes, but not at this scope. But at the same time a lot of work can and will be offloaded to the servers, so I find I really hard to eyeball how powerful a PC you might need to run this. Everquest Landmark might be the closest thing.

It would be really unusual to give any official information on hardware requirements this early in development though, so I'm not getting my hopes up that we'll find out any time soon.