Making a planet into a ship

Thebest777777

How "realistic" are the planets aimed to be though? For example, would they have a molten core, atmosphere, orbits etc. Because I would guess this would dictate how much you could do with one. I know I'm new, so I'm still wading through the forums reading the various discussions with relation to the above, but I would focus on that rather than how "overpowered" it would be. Why put limits on something that strives to have none? 

All this talk of Starkiller Base makes me wonder about the maximum potential of range (again, considering ridiculous manpower and time) of weapons. Can I target someone a world away. Can I snipe from a ship orbiting a planet? If two planets are close together, can we battle them like Pokemon?

These are my questions now.

All this talk of Starkiller Base makes me wonder about the maximum potential of range (again, considering ridiculous manpower and time) of weapons. Can I target someone a world away. Can I snipe from a ship orbiting a planet? If two planets are close together, can we battle them like Pokemon?

These are my questions now.

"I'll answer to the best of my possibility, but, I'll still suggest you reference the FAQ thread and the developer's blog.

Can you target someone a world away?

Can you see someone a world away? Is your weapon's radar wide enough to cover the distance between you and your world? Can your projectile make it there without becoming a flimsy mass in motion? All in all, I don't think it's possible. The game mechanics are lock-on targeting and the developers won't have made provision for you to snipe someone thirty million miles away. 

Can you snipe from a ship orbiting a planet? 

Well, yes you can. What are you firing at? A player innocently carrying out his business? A structure? An industrial complex? We've discussed the probability of orbital weapons here. From all indications (which may be subject to change) the developers seem to be mute about the idea...Silence means consent, right? We are all hoping for something like that to be possible. But if it's a ship you want to use, you're going to need a massive IFF scanner and radar housed in or on your ship. The point is: keep your fingers crossed. None of us like shots from above, except we are the ones doing the shooting. 

If two planets are close together, can  we battle them like Pokemon? 

No way. There's no chance that the developers would position planets so close together that you could hurl destruction from planet to planet..except there's a bug in the algorithm. 

It's been confirmed that planets will not be in motion. Nor will they be able to be in motion. No shooting stars for you :|

Planets will be impossible to move as well, as cited by Dominar above. Sorry to burst your bubble, Unassailable, but planets will be unassailable by other planets. I hope I've answered your questions to a satisfactory level.

"

Well, even if you could. Imagine how much thrust would be required to get something the size of a planet even beginning to move. dodge the fact that if it has a proper orbit you would have to enact enough force to get it to eject said orbit, and after that escape the gravity well of the Star/Object it happens to be orbiting. Yikes  :mellow:

Well, even if you could. Imagine how much thrust would be required to get something the size of a planet even beginning to move. dodge the fact that if it has a proper orbit you would have to enact enough force to get it to eject said orbit, and after that escape the gravity well of the Star/Object it happens to be orbiting. Yikes  :mellow:

Maybe build ship inside planet and use mega like gravity generator make it weight like a feather ? lol

Maybe build ship inside planet and use mega like gravity generator make it weight like a feather ? lol

"

Fact aside that the developers said that planet's won't be movable...are gravity generators even going to work? If they did work, however, would it be possible on such a large scale?

"

I would doubt the devs making it possible to move planets, though the idea is intriguing.

It's been confirmed that planets will not be in motion. Nor will they be able to be in motion. No shooting stars for you :|

• 7 months later...

To turn a planet into a ship i'm guessing that you would have to stop it from spinning and counter the direction of the planet orbiting the sun so no way is it going to be possible. 

• 3 months later...

I was thinking about this, although not turning a planet into a ship but if we can manipulate planets and their orbit (I assume/hope they'll have orbits). For instance you could stick a mectic butt ton of thursters onto a moon and fly it into the planet. That would be fun to see.

wouldnt be much to see since theres no collission damage ;)