Making a planet into a ship

Thebest777777

I was thinking about this, although not turning a planet into a ship but if we can manipulate planets and their orbit (I assume/hope they'll have orbits). For instance you could stick a mectic butt ton of thursters onto a moon and fly it into the planet. That would be fun to see.

I would hope not. That is the definition of overpowered.

But more importantly, I don't think planets can have the same forces applied to them as constructs.

Welcome to the forums btw  :)

I would hope not. That is the definition of overpowered.

Yeah, definitly OP but if it were to happen its gonna cost you a lot of resources that you won't get back. It could be found out and sabotaged they could move what ever you were aiming at out of the way. High risk High reward and extremely destructive.

Edit: And by the looks of it, we're going to be able to build megaships anyway.

I think this is not feasible for a lot of reasons.

Judging from the latest gameplay footage, the planet looked to be about the same geographic size of our moon more or less. Or to put this in mass terms, 7.34767309 × 1022 kilograms.

A standard spaceship by today's standards is 2027558 Kilograms. For being conservative, lets assume the small ship shown has the same mass ratio, it accelerates and leaves the atmosphere to the space station in a matter of seconds. The space station looked to be about 10-20% of the radius away from the surface, so lets again be conservative and say 20%. Super powerful engines. So, 20% of 1,737 km, or ~350km. Assuming the gravity is earth like, to be conservative, and just, if I'm over conservative in every single field, Hell, assuming he went from the surface to the station in 1 second. That's 811GN, or giga-newtons.

Even with these crazy 811 Specials I'll call them, with ONE BILLION of them, it would take you over a minute just to accelerate the planet to 1 m/s. Ignoring the fact that these engines will also add to the mass of the planet.

This ignores also the fact that that amount of force, on one side of the planet, would push in the crust and break the crust, causing world ending earth quakes and basically everyone and everything melted.

All I'm saying, is that we won't have to worry about these being overpowered.

I hope so but then you have to think that how would it work?can you move a planet or even make it into a spaceship?

Planets are not constructs, therefore they could not be made into spaceships, and thus cannot be fired at one another. That'd crash the server, anyways.

Quote from Nyz in Voxel Tools: Pre-Alpha game design thread

Daddio, on 19 May 2016 - 04:57 AM, said:

Also will your voxels have gravity effects on planets and such, If I break a line of voxels at one end, will the voxel at the other unsupported end, drop and fall to the surface, possible rolling downhill??

The answer is: unfortunately, no. And it won't change any time soon. If you dig under some voxels, they will stay at their place.

This seems to indicate that voxels will not be able to move at all. In fact, he's also stated that the devs are thinking about limiting voxel depth in planets to some figure.

Quote from Nyz in Voxel Tools: Pre-Alpha game design thread

This seems to indicate that voxels will not be able to move at all. In fact, he's also stated that the devs are thinking about limiting voxel depth in planets to some figure.

Actually, they said 70% of the planet will be minable. That means a 100 km radius world can be mined to a 70 km depth. Which is okay imo.

It's possible. There's no doubt about it. It has been confirmed by the Devs that there will be no limit to how big you can build. YOur only issue will be the man power, time and patience required to complete such a task.

It's possible. There's no doubt about it. It has been confirmed by the Devs that there will be no limit to how big you can build.

Not quite. There is difference between object class "CONSTRUCT" as big as a planet (certainly possible) and object class "PLANET" which should behave like CONSTRUCT (e.g. move).

So you will probably can (give enough time, manpower and resources) construct "artificial planet", which move like ship, but you can't "convert" already existing planet into ship. In other topic was stated than due to mechanic limitations, planets will be stationary (no orbiting and so on).

In the end, effect will be the same, so why bother ;p

PS: To be perfectly clear:

Death Star from Star Wars IV, V, VI = possible

Starkiller Base from Star Wars VII = impossible 

:P

I mean, if you could... I would do it just to say I did it. But that's clearly been debunked in this thread by now. 

I'll just have to settle for building my own Super star Destroyer or Arcadia I suppose.

Not quite. There is difference between object class "CONSTRUCT" as big as a planet (certainly possible) and object class "PLANET" which should behave like CONSTRUCT (e.g. move).

So you will probably can (give enough time, manpower and resources) construct "artificial planet", which move like ship, but you can't "convert" already existing planet into ship. In other topic was stated than due to mechanic limitations, planets will be stationary (no orbiting and so on).

In the end, effect will be the same, so why bother ;p

PS: To be perfectly clear:

Death Star from Star Wars IV, V, VI = possible

Starkiller Base from Star Wars VII = impossible 

:P

You are indeed correct. Theoretically, it is possible. I didn't take into account that people may want to move the planet (Now a spaceship) In which case, nope. Building it possible though, you just can't use it as a taxi or use it to blow that one guy you don't like out of this universe and into the next.

Actually, they said 70% of the planet will be minable. That means a 100 km radius world can be mined to a 70 km depth. Which is okay imo.

70%? Where did you hear that? The most recent I've heard is that it was not determined:

Nyz in the Ask us anything thread:

As for the max depth you will be able to dig the ground, the exact limit hasn't been defined yet, but we are aiming at a few kilometers (the final decision may be tied to technical performances). Beyond that, let's say the temperature will start to raise too high to be a viable environment.

Also 70% of planet material means a reduction to .669 of original radius. So a 33 km depth on a 100km radius planet.

70%? Where did you hear that? The most recent I've heard is that it was not determined:

Nyz in the Ask us anything thread:

Also 70% of planet material means a reduction to .669 of original radius. So a 33 km depth on a 100km radius planet.

JC Baillie said in the interview with the XPGamer they are aiming for a 70% of the world to be editable. If that includes the stars as undeitable, then my statement is false indeed. (as stars are somewhat larger than planets :V ). A few kilometers would suffice though. Enough to build bunkers.

They said that we can only mine 2k deep

But they never specified how large can one build, cause 2 km deep, all around a planet, is a lot of material to makes a small planet in orbit and then put thrusters on it.