Letter of appreciation to Novaquark

le_troll_des_bois

I just got back from the event held in Paris at Novaquark offices. I had to leave a little early, but still, this was quite an awesome evening.

I'd like to thank all the team members at novaquark for hosting this event, you guys rock ! 

Quick run down of events for those who didn't attend:

- Introduction to the dev build we would lay our hands upon a few minutes later by the man himself: JC Baillie

- Fool around with the dev build previously showcased in NQ videos with some members of the dev team to help us out when needed 

- QA session with JC again

- Little drink with the rest of the team and attendees

Where do I start ? 

First, we met very dedicated and enthusiastic people at NQ. At no point did I feel I've been fed some PR bull*hit, or that the enthusiasm or willingness from dev to talk about their game was faked.

These guys really want to push themselves to deliver the best possible experience with this project, that's for sure.

I viewed JC as a strong leader, with a clear vision for the game, an acute knowledge of the challenges ahead and how to overcome them. From what we've seen from the team, my guess is that this project is in pretty good hands.

As expected from a dev build, the control scheme and performance were not ideal, but it ran perfectly. The nice thing is that the game ran on a server, meaning that we had 5 computers running at the same time with people fooling around.

I gotta say, seeing people zooming by in a newly built ship (the first one was built within a couple of minutes), or vandalizing editing those already placed by the devs was really cool.

There was a lot to cover during the QA session and little time to answer all the questions, but the community managers who waited for us with the drinks were kind enough to answer all of the remaining questions. Thanks for your golden patience and, again, enthusiasm guys !

I'm glad I was able to attend and meet the people behind the project, it really gives another meaning to my backing on KS.

Anyways, thanks again guys, and all the best for the things to come ! ;)

That sounds like such an awesome experience! I would have loved to attend something like that. Glad there are members of the community here who got to attend and report back how it went, would love to hear from some others too. And I'm happy to hear about how enthusiastic they seem, that along with inviting you into their office really makes me confident that this game will succeed!

Here are a couple of pictures taken from the event.

Even if we all agreed that our faces might come online at some point, if any of the people who attended want one of these photos to be removed, feel free to MP me.

Much higher quality pics will surely come with an offical NQ post  :P

large.IMG_20160920_190458.jpg.fc8b38f8a3

large.IMG_20160920_190549.jpg.b2d390c73e

large.IMG_20160920_191314.jpg.c97505f862

large.IMG_20160920_192328.jpg.92d750e7c1

large.IMG_20160920_194322.jpg.e0343b112a

Awesome!

Did anyone try to build a multiplayer ship?

No, we didn't have that much time as we had to make sure everyone could have a shot at the game. And honestly, we were more excited about fooling around by ourselves than actually try to make something relevant with multiple players  :D

*heavy breathing* oh man, I'm don gun' stuck in the US of A, wish I could have been there!

So did anybody steal some DAC's during the test

How did the building process feel, did everything seem to work the way you expected it to? Did you see people slap comical numbers of engines or other essential parts onto ships to see how they reacted?

How did the building process feel, did everything seem to work the way you expected it to? Did you see people slap comical numbers of engines or other essential parts onto ships to see how they reacted?

At the moment, the flight mechanic is as bare bones as it gets. It's just a test build to see if things work or break at the most basic level. Things like center of mass, thrust to weight ratio, thrust distribution etc does not matter: as long as you slap all the required components on your construct, it will fly. 

However, their plan is to make these things matter. If you want your construct to fly properly, you will have to take into account your center of mass and center of thrust, especially for maneuvering thrusters (the farther from the CoM, the better angular torque they will provide). I think this has been stated in one of NQ's video by the way, can't remember which though.

What we had on our hands was a dev build, not even an alpha. It's clearly not meant to be representative of what the gameplay is intended to be, so I don't think any of us will be able to provide any valuable input on how the game will eventually play. The basic features are here, but they are extremely simplified just to test stuff.

Still, as basic as it was, it's been a great time :)

Sorry for my english

A very good time, guys from Novaquark are very available, and really enthusiastic about there job.

Before going to NQ i don't think DU is so in advance, we can  build a ship, fly with it, go to different planets without any transition. visit a station with a small ship in a very large hangar :) . No crash no lag.

Thanks a lot for this meeting.

Awesome stuff! Glad you guys got that experience.

Did they mention anything about the maximum users they've tested on that server you were mentioning? 5 people is fine, but have they tried connecting 50 or so yet? What was their max or did they not reveal any of that? I want to know if they've tried stressing the server even slightly yet.

is that a lighthouse unit in one of the photos on the ceiling?

Sure looks like one, well spotted. There doesn't appear to be another one at the opposite end of the room, so I guess they aren't using VR extensively in that office. I sure wouldn't bet on VR support being a thing for this game. Although I'm quietly hoping it will be.

Sure looks like one, well spotted. There doesn't appear to be another one at the opposite end of the room, so I guess they aren't using VR extensively in that office. I sure wouldn't bet on VR support being a thing for this game. Although I'm quietly hoping it will be.

Indeed I didn't see the other one as well, but here's to hoping later on down the road.

I want to thank the team for being really cool and doing an event like that.

I also want to thank everyone of the community who was able to go, on multiple levels. Thanks for being cool and going, it was a great opportunity, also thank you for proving people are basically trust-able to enter into a secure facility and not cause trouble.

Awesome stuff! Glad you guys got that experience.

Did they mention anything about the maximum users they've tested on that server you were mentioning? 5 people is fine, but have they tried connecting 50 or so yet? What was their max or did they not reveal any of that? I want to know if they've tried stressing the server even slightly yet.

Oh I see this topic is interesting too so here I go to try and give my answers I gleaned.

The servers (connected to merge into one big single shard) were not used I supposed. We were basically on a small server, that is, still not the final cluster. So we haven't seen how these fabulous servers are or will be. They didn't reveal the max capacity but as long as there are more server they will acquire to merge with the cluster, there will be more connections possible. I haven't asked about server testing sorry.

*heavy breathing* oh man, I'm don gun' stuck in the US of A, wish I could have been there!

So did anybody steal some DAC's during the test

It felt rather unusual (I mean it's a never before sensation with the voxel tech), but it was easy and natural (easier than z-brush or any autodesk 3D engine).

I've made a rather small ship (15 or 20 meters by 5) but I put 3 big motors at the rear. I've (I think others have come up with some sort of things like this) debugged already (I mean I've seen something unusual that shouldn't have happened): these motors are supposed to be fixes besides a plane (not sticking out of the mere plane rear), but I've actually managed to do so without purpose, one of the three was in the middle of the rear, though it looked good. I have just put one gyro with the right angle, so I couldn't say for other parts, also I haven't used the hover reactors.