"Capital" Ships controlled by one or many?

That's exactly the point I made originally: the need for repair crews would be a benefit of a multi-crewed ship over a single-player ship. Something must have gotten lost in translation, but I think we're on the same page!

Our concepts are the same, our contexts differ though good sir :)

My point is on how much of the repair would need  or could be automated and how much the human element will be needed, and that's where we meet halfway, since you seem to advocate on number of players per-ship while I argue on number of automation :P

More I read about this game and dev blog I falling in love even more. This is exactly how I would imagine my dream game voxel-based in space MMO. Reshape universe when people have only tools, nothing is predefined. But for this to function we need a grasp of reality. No shortcuts, because the system is so generic there is no room for lazy and quick workarounds.

Surely one of this self-balancing mechanism is to make sure the crew has an advantage over single player no matter what. If an individual can build massive mothership and take out the entire crew of members with no effort something would be wrong here. 

I hope even the fact the crew will actually be able to afford and build the mothership with collective effort will be enough. But it will become nearly 'impossible' task for individual. That should bring some lone wolves back on earth ;) forget SE. This is supposed to be MMORPG game when everything can be shaped by players. Nobody will wipe servers every week or so. It's a continuous process. Stop bringing ideas from games we know. This thing require you to think out of the box! :)

Multiple DPUs. Problem solved. If a DPU can interact with other elements, I will built a steam-punk system to make DPUs connect.

Gotta start thinking like a programmer yo. You'll be seeing the world in a more chill way. ^_^

I think the word you're looking for is 'chilled'. Programming can be stone cold yo.

Nah, I'm pretty sure I went fo' teh gangzta word yo. Coding and Chill ^_^

Coding and chill?

Is this how nerds, like, invite women (Or dudes) back to their houses?

Coding and chill?

Is this how nerds, like, invite women (Or dudes) back to their houses?

I usually have to rely on my versatile vocabulary on that. Women love a man of eloquence. It's all about being silver-tongued, in more ways than one. Trust me, once you get into deep C++, you figure out that everyone has a "pointer" you can call back.

I usually have to rely on my versatile vocabulary on that. Women love a man of eloquence. It's all about being silver-tongued, in more ways than one. Trust me, once you get into deep C++, you figure out that everyone has a "pointer" you can call back.

Yep, you've definitely used the coding and chill pick up line before. 

Has it worked? Asking for a friend...

Yep, you've definitely used the coding and chill pick up line before. 

Has it worked? Asking for a friend...

There's a tricky pick-up sequence you can go for, but it requires two people, one of them is the itnerested party. It works only on female programmers. The pick-up line at the end is " When I saw you my stack overflowed". 

Step 1 : You go up to her, start to talk, then freeze, then the wingman comes along and manually rotates you away from the lady and brings you back to your table or stand in the club/bar/wherever.

Step 2 : You go back and say the afformentioned line. If she's the information you got on her indicates she's a programmer, she'll probably laugh and start a covnersation. After that, it's all about your understanding of vast subjects to discuss. My suggestion : Get into rom-coms. Women of any background love rom-coms (so do men, but this is not a girl to guy kind of route).

Step 3 : Hope you have taken courses into the horizontal shuffle, cause there ain't real advices on this subject. And given you missed the innuendo one reply above, I can't see we are on the same page :|

There's a tricky pick-up sequence you can go for, but it requires two people, one of them is the itnerested party. It works only on female programmers. The pick-up line at the end is " When I saw you my stack overflowed". 

Step 1 : You go up to her, start to talk, then freeze, then the wingman comes along and manually rotates you away from the lady and brings you back to your table or stand in the club/bar/wherever.

Step 2 : You go back and say the afformentioned line. If she's the information you got on her indicates she's a programmer, she'll probably laugh and start a covnersation. After that, it's all about your understanding of vast subjects to discuss. My suggestion : Get into rom-coms. Women of any background love rom-coms (so do men, but this is not a girl to guy kind of route).

Step 3 : Hope you have taken courses into the horizontal shuffle, cause there ain't real advices on this subject. And given you missed the innuendo one reply above, I can't see we are on the same page :|

I was just going for some light hearted joking. Wasn't expecting, well, that.

I was just going for some light hearted joking. Wasn't expecting, well, that.

I was also joking. Ain't no such thing as funny programmer :V This is why most of us are cynical dweebs that know everything, so much that we end up the equivalent "bad boy archetype" most women are attracted to.

I was also joking. Ain't no such thing as funny programmer :V This is why most of us are cynical dweebs that know everything, so much that we end up the equivalent "bad boy archetype" most women are attracted to.

:rolleyes:

Doesn't help it's over a forum board anyways. Guess I'll just start replying with ridiculous GIFs and youtube clips to express myself.

giphy.gif

I didn't miss it :)

Ah Captain, you cunning linguist you.

You only limitation should be how well you can script, and what computational power you have available to perform such tasks on board. By using some additional power sure you can add some realism and balance though seems largely impractical and limiting on other features. The best way for capitals to work is to automate as many simple systems as possible while staffing the necessary ones and some optional to create a seamless creation of life from the beast of a ship.

You only limitation should be how well you can script, and what computational power you have available to perform such tasks on board. By using some additional power sure you can add some realism and balance though seems largely impractical and limiting on other features. The best way for capitals to work is to automate as many simple systems as possible while staffing the necessary ones and some optional to create a seamless creation of life from the beast of a ship.

"With the importance of hacking coming to light, the less the automated scripts the better. Or you'll just have to secure your scripts with jargon and intelligence. You won't want someone using your ship to quality check into a star or finding out how many other structures your craft can ram through."

You are both wrong and correct. Let me explain.

A script to run, will consume energy, and ships can't have an unlimited amout of power to support your automations. This is the balance between the two aspects, automations VS manual. And you can't have 100 players manning 100 guns. It's counter productive, but you CAN have one player, coordinating batteries of turrets via an in-game console. That's more like how a giant battleship would function. Keep in mind, a weapons' targeting system would require a lot of code and by the way I reckon this, DPUs will consume power depending on how many lines of code operate in it. So, here's your balance. You can make a ship being a one man deal, but it will be VERY, VERY, costly to get it out for a joy-ride.

i'd like to see the source of your persistent "DPU's require power" claims.

"Well, there has to be a limit of some kind. Higher quality DPU's should be more expensive than lower quality ones. A core i3 costs less than a core i7, for example.

There has to be reason why certain ships handle more function more efficiently than others. While the "cost per code line" does seem a bit extravagant, I fully agree with quality-tier DPUs.

"

It's a game balancing thing if you mean the power-per line of code consumption. Cause, you know, DPUs, which are in-game CPUs won't be running on wishful thinking you know :P

I just don't expect the Devs to let you create a 4000 lines worth of LUA script coded ship without having power as a limitation to how much automation can go in, like how mass is a limit on a ship's size.

It's a game balancing thing if you mean the power-per line of code consumption. Cause, you know, DPUs, which are in-game CPUs won't be running on wishful thinking you know :P

I just don't expect the Devs to let you create a 4000 lines worth of LUA script coded ship without having power as a limitation to how much automation can go in, like how mass is a limit on a ship's size.

"There might be another way to specify the DPU limits. According to the blog, the image shown of the DPU consisted of outgoing connections/slots. They could classify the DPUs based on how many slots there are per tier. Of course, this is only speculation and ultimately, it's up to them to decide."

"There might be another way to specify the DPU limits. According to the blog, the image shown of the DPU consisted of outgoing connections/slots. They could classify the DPUs based on how many slots there are per tier. Of course, this is only speculation and ultimately, it's up to them to decide."

Still, they are elements, more to that, powered devices. And last I've checked, a specific grid, requires a specific wattage to run. If ships' mass requires a certain number of thruster(s) to move, nobody can expect to have an automation grid on their ship free of power needs. Whch I'm okay with that, it will seperate the smart and ingenious ship builders from the lazy ones, not to mention, it balances the advantages of automation out if there's a power consumption on them.

so you have no source, great.

then stop claiming that DPU's will have significant power draw :P

You are expecting NQ to do the same kind of mistakes Space Engineers did uh? :P

I told you, for ships, I expect a limited amount of DPUs due to power cores running on fuel and because of the fact DPUs are in a grid, they are linked, they consume power like CPUs would.

For factories on the ground, that's a totally different thing. Build a power plant next to it and have 10000 lines of code to run the whole thing. If your costs are outmatched by your profits, keep doing that :V

so you have no source, great.

then stop claiming that DPU's will have significant power draw :P

"We can ask Nyzaltar to explain. How will DPUs be limited in terms of power or quality? Will there be quality classifications, and if so, how will they be clssified? There, now that's better."

You are expecting NQ to do the same kind of mistakes Space Engineers did uh? :P

I told you, for ships, I expect a limited amount of DPUs due to power cores running on fuel and because of the fact DPUs are in a grid, they are linked, they consume power like CPUs would.

For factories on the ground, that's a totally different thing. Build a power plant next to it and have 10000 lines of code to run the whole thing. If your costs are outmatched by your profits, keep doing that :V

"10000 lines of code? Captain, captain, why would you put yourself through so much trouble? That's what the Aether is here for!"

"We can ask Nyzaltar to explain. How will DPUs be limited in terms of power or quality? Will there be quality classifications, and if so, how will they be clssified? There, now that's better."

"10000 lines of code? Captain, captain, why would you put yourself through so much trouble? That's what the Aether is here for!"

Masochism. ~_~