Construct versus construct combat?

Violet

From the kickstarter FAQ:

Spaceship combat is a Stretch Goal?

"Construct vs Construct" combat is a the first stretch goal. If it's not reached during the Kickstarter campaign, it might be added later, after official release.

I understand that it might not be in alpha but really are really going to say that it might never be in the game? Are you guys crazy? Who wants to play a game like this if you can't have ship battles. I hope this is a typo.

From the kickstarter FAQ:

I understand that it might not be in alpha but really are really going to say that it might never be in the game? Are you guys crazy? Who wants to play a game like this if you can't have ship battles. I hope this is a typo.

The way it is worded has been bothering me for days. Perhaps it is a translation issue like some other strange sentences in the FAQ.

In fact my AMA question was about that.

I basicly asked if we dont reach the stretch goal if we could fund it on the website after the kickstarter.

I'm sure NQ understands that a space game with no space combat is silly.

I think it means that if the stretch goal is not reached we will have to wait for the first update(s) after the official release (so after end of 2018) for construct vs contruct (including ships vs ships) PVP.

Because after official release they will be in a continuous game development process with updates every now and then.

Out of curiosity, do NQ staff ever post on the forum?

Yes, Nyzaltar posts now and again.

But I can assure you Nyzaltar reads everything. And most of the devs read as much as time allows. So dont worry about it. This is not your typical game forum, NQ really pays attention and they really listen to us. :)

The way it is worded has been bothering me for days. Perhaps it is a translation issue like some other strange sentences in the FAQ.

In fact my AMA question was about that.

I basicly asked if we dont reach the stretch goal if we could fund it on the website after the kickstarter.

I'm sure NQ understands that a space game with no space combat is silly.

The devs are wanting it to take us a couple of months to make it into space.

So, should be fine to have no space combat at "Launch".

But, I think they're also hoping for airships - seems like that would be construct to construct combat... but we'll have to see what they actually have in mind.

Could be that even the airships aren't designed to have weapons attached to them - just avatar to avatar combat.

We'll see.

It was my understanding that it was a stretch for the kickstarter, and that it would certainly be in the release version of the game. I really hope that's the case. I mean, there's concept art for weapons, and in videos with the large ships, you can see some models of weapons.

I wouldn't necessarily consider it a desired feature...  Construct vs construct combat is the primary selling point of DU. It does strike me as concerning that it likely won't even be in game upon release unless the Kickstarter attains a stretch goal. Without it, DU is basically a glorified space minecraft MMO with fancy construct shapes beyond just cubes and pilotable transport devices. The stretch goal doesn't seem particularly likely based on the current inertia of the Kickstarter.

I will wait and see what NovaQuark has to say in the AMA this week before forming any real opinions and decisions, though.  But if construct vs construct combat is not a thing at release, that pretty much negates my entire reason for backing at the high-ish level I did: The goal being a head-start on ship and base defense/combat LUA scripting prior to launch.

Actually it wont be that big of a deal if its not in at launch.

We wont be reaching space that quickly.

There wont be any infrastructure to support it. Its very likely that by the time we reach space they will have a first version of construct vs construct ready to go.

Its up to you to worry about it or not.:)

I wouldn't necessarily consider it a desired feature...  Construct vs construct combat is the primary selling point of DU. It does strike me as concerning that it likely won't even be in game upon release unless the Kickstarter attains a stretch goal. Without it, DU is basically a glorified space minecraft MMO with fancy construct shapes beyond just cubes and pilotable transport devices. The stretch goal doesn't seem particularly likely based on the current inertia of the Kickstarter.

I will wait and see what NovaQuark has to say in the AMA this week before forming any real opinions and decisions, though.  But if construct vs construct combat is not a thing at release, that pretty much negates my entire reason for backing at the high-ish level I did: The goal being a head-start on ship and base defense/combat LUA scripting prior to launch.

You may still be able to get a head start on ship v ship combat pre-launch as a member of the Alpha Team. That doesn't mean ship v ship will be available at launch.

Again - we know the devs want it to take a couple months for players to build the infrastructure for space travel after Launch. That's basically part of the intended lore.

Seeing as there will be little to nothing in the way of player created things to start with it is of very little concern. If you think from a lore standpoint...and this is my first post here and im still learning about the game, then it wouldn't make sense that we would have access to if we are arriving on the Ark(?). It would make sense that the intital powers that be are keeping pointy sharp things to those who they trust not to run around with scissors and poke people.

Construct vs construct will be a thing.   We may have to wait for it.

It makes sense from a project management standpoint to make sure the server technology works, and get the fundamentals complete before progressing to additional aspects of the game.

Being that DU is subscription based, it will continuously be updated with new features.