Being online for lua scripts to run. The alternative.

Wicpar

Do we know for sure that YOU have to be there for your scripts to run? If scripts run if any player is close enough, being close to a turret will cause its script to allow it to shoot at that player. Similarly, script-based space mines would also function.

If not, that trashes my idea of a law-enforcement that puts up kill contratcs on people that pvp in restricted zones...

lol did not think of that

I mean, if a script will run if ANY player is close enough, that would be kind-of necessary for any kind of automated trade boxes to work, so I'm guessing it'll work that way.

Now i just have to hope that there is a robust enough contracting system to allow scripts to put a bounty on a player with an expiraton date lol

ANY scripted objects, from ANY players, would be activated within a certain range, maybe 100km, by ANY  players

Its not if you script something and only your computer CPU will make it work,

its everyone entering the range of this script will run IT, friends or not, organization or not

So if you are offline with automatic turrets around your house, they will disactivated until anyone enters in the script activation range

A range that will be much further than the turret action range for sure

Do we know for sure that YOU have to be there for your scripts to run? If scripts run if any player is close enough, being close to a turret will cause its script to allow it to shoot at that player. Similarly, script-based space mines would also function.

If not, that trashes my idea of a law-enforcement that puts up kill contratcs on people that pvp in restricted zones...

The problem is that if You do not run your scripts, but your ennemy does he could modify your script on his client to say "kiiiiill meeeee :'(" instead of being the awesome terminator you built it to be.

That sounds pay to win

The current system allows you to have infinite accounts to afk, how does that soud? Additionally if you can have one bound to your account for free this would allow you to have one base without issue and that is far enough until you become imensely big, but at that point you can buy DACs ingame.

This whole thing is not about should we allow it, it is about how do we control and balance it.

First are we sure that we can delegate/give rights to run a script to individuals or organisations?

I think it could be cool to be able to build sandboxed CPU units with different processing powers to run our scripts in our place, this way the scripts would be costly and thus would naturally reduce the actual CPU usage on their server and prevent infinite loops/heavy loads to crash the servers (only the sandboxed unit will crash).

They could always make them number limited and destroyable to limit further their impact on the servers.

First are we sure that we can delegate/give rights to run a script to individuals or organisations?

I think it could be cool to be able to build sandboxed CPU units with different processing powers to run our scripts in our place, this way the scripts would be costly and thus would naturally reduce the actual CPU usage on their server and prevent infinite loops/heavy loads to crash the servers (only the sandboxed unit will crash).

They could always make them number limited and destroyable to limit further their impact on the servers.

the ALUs should kill the script and malfuction if it takes more than n millisecondseconds to compute,

but overall i think they should make an api that allows you to interact in every way with the game, includeing piloting your shops, this would allow for client-hosted AI, but it still doesn't solve the afking issue as you may wanna keep a ship and a base loaded...

the ALUs should kill the script and malfuction if it takes more than n millisecondseconds to compute,

Yes it could also be a security measure.

but overall i think they should make an api that allows you to interact in every way with the game, includeing piloting your shops, this would allow for client-hosted AI,

As for that I'm not sure because it would give a edge to people knowledgeable in API development where the LUA was actually meant as a bridge to players not used to code.

but it still doesn't solve the afking issue as you may wanna keep a ship and a base loaded...

Yes the "you have to be close of your construct" issue is a hard one to circumvent :/

I wish i knew why they made that constraint.

Yes the "you have to be close of your construct" issue is a hard one to circumvent :/

I wish i knew why they made that constraint.

I can imagine its because allowing a player to run a factory without even being there is a bit too much?

Not sure myself. ;)

I can imagine its because allowing a player to run a factory without even being there is a bit too much?

Not sure myself. ;)

I know but then you have the AFK issue where players just stay logged online to achieve just that and that is not fun at all (ok it could be fun to hunt AFK guys for a while but that's it).

If they don't want fully automated factories maybe they should move the issue to fueling or providing the necessary resources to the factory necessitating having a player to make the "refuel".

I know but then you have the AFK issue where players just stay logged online to achieve just that and that is not fun at all (ok it could be fun to hunt AFK guys for a while but that's it).

If they don't want fully automated factories maybe they should move the issue to fueling or providing the necessary resources to the factory necessitating having a player to make the "refuel".

but then it becomes grindy and tedious and i don't think it's good, the solution to that is to accept that this is gonna happen, and integrate it into the game. allow it but at a cost. This will mentally block people that want to abuse the system as the system doesn't care and is still balanced even if they do.

Factories could become balanced in an afk scenario if you stretch the 3-4 hours it was online to 24 hours a day, and produce the same in that time. if you want to produce faster you can just scale horizontally, but again, low level stuff should not take 20 hours to make.

So you say that fully automated constructs should be possible but take much more time?

That's interesting and work in the case of automated factories or mining, but what about automated defense mechanism or automated exploring mechanism that needs real time reaction to avoid utter destruction? Then that won't work.

I don't think it will become grindy and tedious to refuel or replenish the necessary resources because of storage : it will be a task to do only every X hours/days.

Plus it will limit the size of these automated constructs because everything would scale with size and in particular the frequency you will have to refuel.

It would work as a soft cap limit.

So you say that fully automated constructs should be possible but take much more time?

That's interesting and work in the case of automated factories or mining, but what about automated defense mechanism or automated exploring mechanism that needs real time reaction to avoid utter destruction? Then that won't work.

I don't think it will become grindy and tedious to refuel or replenish the necessary resources because of storage : it will be a task to do only every X hours/days.

Plus it will limit the size of these automated constructs because everything would scale with size and in particular the frequency you will have to refuel.

It would work as a soft cap limit.

i meant only resource gathering/production to take longer, but overall even when you are online.

defenses would work anyways but the scripts will have to be run on the server (the execution time cap could be removed when you add a dedicated script-running server on the API) so people cannot alter them to their advantages on their clients. No you cannot do integrity checks. everything beyond NQ's server is out of their full control.

imagine you have a megafactory, and you have to manually put materials in every one every 10 hours, you would do that all the time...

else you will be able to have a massive container you pay people to fill anyways so there is really no point fighting it, people are sneaky bastards, they'll find a way, that's why you should be able to do everything, so NQ plans in those shenanigans in the game balance.

When I heard about the no script running while offline thing this did give me worry.  Being able to have something stationary to still allow scripts to run while no online person is around is a good idea, but no cost of DACs.  The main reason for my concern is base defenses.

This object should have limitations of course but something needs to be allowed for base/station defenses while offline.

Yes, the DACs should only be used for subscribing purposes.

I guess if intruders activates the script it will already be something but I'm afraid for long range defense mechanism it would not be as effective if there is a range limitation.

Also if we are able to give rights to maintain scripts activated to an organization, it could allow to approach the continuous script activation Graal : the more organization members are spread (and active) across the time zone there closer it gets.

The only setback is that the one(s) activating the scripts must be close to it and that is a boring activity to just stand near the script all the time doing nothing. To address that, locally fixed activities such as research or maybe devising blueprints may be stationed near valuable scripts to ensure there is frequently someone around but it also have it's flaws as it would mean you only get part of an organization to help maintaining the script and not all of its members which could decrease the time zone coverage.