Kytheum

Voice?  

201 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to see in-game voice?

Sadly, my experience with "proximity voice chat" in public areas in other games has brought me to the point where I immediately disable it in every game. It's simply too irritating to have to mute the inevitable abusers individually all the time.

It would probably work fairly well in limited environments like multi-crew ships in DU though.

57 minutes ago, NanoDot said:

Sadly, my experience with "proximity voice chat" in public areas in other games has brought me to the point where I immediately disable it in every game. It's simply too irritating to have to mute the inevitable abusers individually all the time.

It would probably work fairly well in limited environments like multi-crew ships in DU though.

You have the so called " Law Enforce" to make them shut up, i dont know if we can jail people in DU, i would do it and every time it will take them 10 minute in jail for spam mic. If we cant jail, simple action is : Fine. If they dont agree to pay the fine ? Call the guard and kick they out of the place.

In DU i think it will different than other game, where player have some power to even enforce people follow law of area. So i think it will make the game not spam voice everywhere. But in wild land who know, you just have a bullet into their mouth everything should fine.

13 hours ago, ShioriStein said:

You have the so called " Law Enforce" to make them shut up, i dont know if we can jail people in DU, i would do it and every time it will take them 10 minute in jail for spam mic. If we cant jail, simple action is : Fine. If they dont agree to pay the fine ? Call the guard and kick they out of the place.

In DU i think it will different than other game, where player have some power to even enforce people follow law of area. So i think it will make the game not spam voice everywhere. But in wild land who know, you just have a bullet into their mouth everything should fine.

I really doubt you can move any avatar besides either bumping them at high speed or put them on some form of mobile platform - but even then they still have to be put on one.... so yea, good luck with that lol.

I also doubt you can get physical control (stun, move, etc) over others in claimed areas. 

I'm all for it to some extend but I think so far you can be happy if you ban players from entering or using services in some area. That might also be it? 

I'm generally for power over (other) players in faction controlled space unless or until there is an active war going in where the measures would be suspended between the enemies.

But that's something for one of the other fitting threads that revolve around the topic. 

Some interesting (community) news in regards to this topic here ? , on another note. 

9 hours ago, CoreVamore said:

I really doubt you can move any avatar besides either bumping them at high speed or put them on some form of mobile platform - but even then they still have to be put on one.... so yea, good luck with that lol.

Killing will surely move him/her to the nearest resurrection node.

Regards,

Shadow

• 2 months later...

In-game voice would be nice to have for battle. People will say discord is the way to go, but when you get fleets of 100 plus kids it'll be hard to communicate clearly.

Something similar to Squad would be ideal, but I'm not sure on how applicable that is in this games coding. 

Or just local voice comms would be good to talk to people outside of your discord channel when you see them. Text is great and mandatory but in my experience having comms allows for fast communication versus typing it all out. 

1 hour ago, Davis said:

In-game voice would be nice to have for battle. People will say discord is the way to go, but when you get fleets of 100 plus kids it'll be hard to communicate clearly.

Something similar to Squad would be ideal, but I'm not sure on how applicable that is in this games coding. 

Or just local voice comms would be good to talk to people outside of your discord channel when you see them. Text is great and mandatory but in my experience having comms allows for fast communication versus typing it all out. 

That's just a learning curve, a community concept and a marker to differentiate between focus / form / profession / professionalism of organisations. 

I'd leave it up to players to pick their options. Don't provide an in game solution. Yes, it decreases tresholds. Yes an argument can be made in relation to new player experience. But it adds costs, it constricts the sandbox dynamic and it doesn't provide the kind of tech push needed to build communities that go beyond the pixels. 

I think having voice chat feature in game is a good thing. From a user standpoint, having a single application running will give me a better experience as opposed to using outside applications in tandem with the game.

Group chat also provides me with a real time communication solution that doesn't distract from what I am doing in the game.

In a nutshell and my book, the technical obstacles or effort of implementing such features (with, perhaps, additional customization or scaling options for the user to decide or set) is worth it as many players would benefit from some sort of integrated voice feature.

While NQ surely has bigger fish to catch (problems to solve) right now, it is vital to speak about this early as, as soon as possible, and bring it up on the plate, as this (assuming it will be accepted) allows you to integrate or plan integration early on into the general framework of the game.

Furthermore, I am happy to see that all the "lobbying work" wasn't futile - thanks to all bringing it up:

unknown.png

That's no definite "approval", there's no time-frame, but it is on the plate (being considered), and that is what counts.

* The picture wasn't taken recently, so it's not literally yesterday. It was sent to me some time ago via Discord, around May 13.

On 6/1/2018 at 8:34 PM, virtuozzo said:

That's just a learning curve, a community concept and a marker to differentiate between focus / form / profession / professionalism of organisations. 

I'd leave it up to players to pick their options. Don't provide an in game solution. Yes, it decreases tresholds. Yes an argument can be made in relation to new player experience. But it adds costs, it constricts the sandbox dynamic and it doesn't provide the kind of tech push needed to build communities that go beyond the pixels. 

It's not really a learning curve, that suggests it can be mastered with time. Without a way to communicate with you troops, squads and fleets instantly then you are putting your players at a disadvantage. If this was your average MMO with questing with a max of 10 players in your squad then I'd agree, Discord is fine. But what happens when the Terrain Union mobalizes it's entire fleet of (just guessing) 300 enlisted troops and flies out with 190 ships? You can't slap them all in one discord channel, and you can't tab to switch between channels and honestly typing just isn't a viable communication channel in a PVP situation where every second counts. Have direct voice comms with either just people in your organization or people in proximity is a must for a game like this, it's completely about efficient communication. 

3 hours ago, Davis said:

It's not really a learning curve, that suggests it can be mastered with time. Without a way to communicate with you troops, squads and fleets instantly then you are putting your players at a disadvantage. If this was your average MMO with questing with a max of 10 players in your squad then I'd agree, Discord is fine. But what happens when the Terrain Union mobalizes it's entire fleet of (just guessing) 300 enlisted troops and flies out with 190 ships? You can't slap them all in one discord channel, and you can't tab to switch between channels and honestly typing just isn't a viable communication channel in a PVP situation where every second counts. Have direct voice comms with either just people in your organization or people in proximity is a must for a game like this, it's completely about efficient communication. 

The learning curve I referred to is that of human organisation and professional organisation, it's part of the development curve of whatever human groups put together. Ad hoc types won't bother, but smart ones will use out of game communications to facilitate community, collaboration, etc. 

Mumble, Teamspeak, Discord, all sorts of tools. If you put that in game, fine. But it does add a cost factor to game development. The question for NQ is whether that is worth it. In terms of precedent, it is notable that most of game community infrastructure uses non-game solutions these days. Even CCP Games pulled the plug out of its in game voice thing. It had a positive effect and a positive use in the beginning, but it couldn't stand up to tech competition and adoption rates. 

Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather see NQ spend the resources on something else. 

14 minutes ago, virtuozzo said:

Mumble, Teamspeak, Discord, all sorts of tools. If you put that in game, fine. But it does add a cost factor to game development. The question for NQ is whether that is worth it.

It's always worth it, most notably in first person based games I suspect where you can run into people and potentially attack anyone without artificial restrictions (safe zones aside) - in my view or book anyway, that is. Whether it is worth it for NQ, time will tell.

What would ARMA (any title, with or without RPG modes), DayZ, Squad, countless other comparable games be without local VOIP to give an example.

Mumble, Teamspeak, Discord, all useless if you run into someone where the next or immediate communication might matter or decide the outcome. You can't always type or always have the luxury of typing. And one should not always think so limited to only consider group play where you sit in your (insert third party software here) channel with your pals or allies. Even then I could argue that in larger operations where you have to have people split among different channels (opposed to all being in one), it could be beneficial if you run into other teams. Instead of having to tab around to switch channels and be distracted, you could simply speak to them locally as you run into them. Or just use some appropriate in-game text channel where you can reach 'em.

"Squad" (the game) is a good example. You join a squad and unless you are the squad leader, you can only communicate in your squad. As SL, you can communicate with the commander and other squads (their SLs), in turn. Naturally there are situations where different units from various squads meet or have to interact, and for that you can use local voice chat, which works well.

Call me biased, but given the vast tactical advantages or potential immersion or simply quick responses and interactions that can stem out of a voice chat feature, "cost factor" should not be a general reason to say "no".

With that, I mean: If it is considered and they try to see how they could implement it into the general framework, and whether it is possible and would work later on, and they come to the conclusion that it won't work well or is an obstacle too big at that time and they won't do it, then it is what it is.

Just saying "Well it could cost them time and they could spend that elsewhere" isn't a convincing reason to me who'd like to see some feature like that, however.

On a closing note, I'm no real development expert. Will it cost them time and maybe result in a few sleepless nights or headaches? Probably. But other games offer this. Of course, "other games" might not be as vast in scope or have that many components you have to consider and "harmonize", but this would be exactly the argument I see to justify it: The big scope of the game. If games with smaller scales have it and have it "justified", would this not be justified here the most?

I also think no one is really saying "Drop anything else and work on integrated voice features!" It's just that I (and not just me) see a huge potential and demand for this, and many people would benefit from it. In turn if you don't want it, you could mute it or lower the volume.

I feel in-game voice should defininetly be in the game. I was talking with a friend of mine and I got this idea about something like a ship to ship comms-system so you could cordinate fleets. I know there is already stuff like Discord or Teamspeak but it would add to the immersion. Just imagine you see one of your ships getting destroyed and just before the comms break up you just hear the screams of the crew :).

in-game voice is absolutely essential. to not put it in the game would be in my not-so-humble opinion completely asinine.  call it Quantum entangled radio so there's no excuse for it to not be instant. Frankly I want to be able to fly through space with music on belter pirate radio, a scanner scanning the national channels for important news, and be on a private com with my wife

Even if it's not implemented, and if someone was smart enough would it be possible, through Scripting, for Physical in-game objects to be linked to Third Party Chat Servers such as Discord? So I could click a button and Join a Ships comms?

• 1 year later...

I don't normally resurrect dead threads but this one is quite special and having the ability to up-vote features I found a suggestion that someone else made that aligns with this thread. 

Whether this be for archival or bringing the discussion back the feature was suggested here: 

Ingame voicechat - Dual Universe