Kytheum

Voice?  

201 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to see in-game voice?

Personally I will pass on the in game voice for now and you may say why , but to put it simply you really don't need it when there or other tools you could use instead of in game voice! There is still the other issues people have forgotten about : The team is trying to stream line the server as much as possible so we can have millions of players in the DU galaxy playing at the same time and if things like in-game voice puts unneeded stress on the server then yes I will pass !   

We all probably have a dream list of things we would like to see in the game but I would like to see them achieve the basics first which will be a feat in its self  being the single shard technology  :  can they truly pull it off and I would like to see this happen first be for we all request our list of thing we would like to see in the game that may also add unneeded stresses on the server to make it happen !

If they do use voice please add features to mute and block people out I really get tired of : guy that thinks he can sing , guy that thinks he is a comedian , guy that thinks everyone likes his music and the guy that is rude to everyone ! Get where I'm going I don't really like voice but if you get it please have features in place that allow you to avoid or silence these types.

Edited by GunDeva
updated

I would not trivialize local voice comms. I'm not saying anyone against it is "wrong" or "How could you!?", of course, I just want to highlight some potential good uses.

Of course, if they cannot implement it or have more dire priorities before they can get to it, that's that. Not the end of the world. But those who used local voice comms can probably understand why not just a few people are in favor of it, should it be possible without too much technical problems or instabilities.

If you think of scenarios like in DayZ it can be a huge advantage to have local in-game comms. One should not always think of the simple game where people play in teams - in online sandbox worlds you can run into strangers at any time in theory and generally being able to communicate with people you run into (in the game) easily or fast cannot really be beaten by external software that is not integrated into the game and local environment.

In a nutshell, if it becomes technically feasible they should begin to pursue the endeavor at one point - many will likely thank them later on. And if not ... well, we can get by somehow. Things worked before the more popular usage of local voice comms, after all.

Actually the in-game voice system is interesting and will be important , how people will do when for example they board a space ship ? from the chat ? it won't be interesting .

So yeah it's interesting but not until the full release , they have many stuff to do instead of doing it now , and anyways , everyone use discord this days 

• 4 weeks later...

I like Arma 3 modified server voice system.  They have proximity chat with 3 different methods and voice call all in game.

The 3 methods are

whipser - these are voice chats between 0 - 2 meters

normal - 2 - 5 meters

yell - 5 - 10 meters

Then  is the phone call which is just each player has a phone with a unique number.  You can call each other just like IRL.

I like the PA system some people some people have suggested  and that could go 10 - 30 meters.

What i would like to see in game is ship to ship voice comunication ... you would need some kind of comunication array for that. It would be usefull for example for contacting incomming unknown ships.

An advanced local and ranged system would be interesting. Another example could be Dayz that hits Beta soon. 

Also saw them mention not just PA systems for towns you could operate (and maintain) but also radio backpacks for longer transmission ranges. So far in that game you only really have limited hand held radios that have about half a dozen different frequencies. 

Might be interesting to have a similar radio (and then long range) transmission system with a more modern GUI of course. Who knows what local radio waves you might stumble across as you explore in DU? 

From a looping automated SOS to some faraway DJ station...

And then you would have local voice chat of course with different settings like whisper, normal, yell as described above. 

Not just having unlimited in game transmission ranges from the start also sounds interesting. You might have to build comm sats or dishes, or radio towers first if you want to broadcast signals others could pick up further away.

This would lead to new interesting gameplay opportunities. 

I didn't read all the reply's, but for in game communication, I feel like organizations can have their own voice channel for short range communication (inside base only?) and then long range will be sub-divided into smaller groups using long range transmissions (not too long range) and then of course, basic speech with will work say 20-50 feet away. If its there, it has to be realistic.

• 4 months later...

Still wondering how NQ feels about this suggestion, I haven't read the replies in some time but it seems there is surprisingly a lot of support for the idea or at least the same idea but implemented in a different way. At this rate of development, it feels like a necessity for larger organisations. 

2 hours ago, Kytheum said:

Still wondering how NQ feels about this suggestion, I haven't read the replies in some time but it seems there is surprisingly a lot of support for the idea or at least the same idea but implemented in a different way. At this rate of development, it feels like a necessity for larger organisations. 

As I like to say, referring to your last sentence: Not just large organizations, but, really, ANY players with or without an organization (potentially anyway, some might be mute, but even then you can listen to others and benefit from it) for a simple reason:

Encounters with strangers or people you know without being in third party software or by booting it up first being a hassle or improbable in that particular situation.

Picture a market place where you are a trader and want to sell wares in the old fashioned way. You need (or want) to be there. Lots of foot traffic, people coming by and leaving all the time. Typing everything could be a hassle. Being able to speak in a limited radius with the option of further adjustments to radius, volume, etc would not just be vastly convenient, it would also increase immersion.

Picture another setting: You clear an abandoned station or check on once you lost contact with or one that was attacked. You encounter random people in it. Being able to instantly (or quickly) communicate can perhaps change the outcome of encounters (think of DayZ and comparable games with VOIP where lack of quick communication can result in immediate combat that may not have happened otherwise).

There are so many reasons for this and I can imagine many ways of compromises for the reluctant ones or critical arguments that may apply in some situations ("input overflow" of the senses if too many are in one spot and talking -> limiting talk range dynamically to make it feasible in high traffic areas for example, and so on) that I think the community - each player potentially - benefits more from having this than not having this at all.

----------------------------

In other words, for me it's not a question of "Useful or not" any more. It is useful for me and I think most people who played games that may even heavily rely on VOIP and whatnot such as DayZ, ARMA (any title) and many more might largely agree. As for potentially bad constellations, compromises can be found, including a total mute of local voice comms if people desire this (whether as quick feature or by going into the options to lower the volume by hand).

For me the only relevant question is: Can NQ implement this and will this run (well) with what the game envisions to be on a technical side of things? Or will it draw too many resources later, be wonky, not work properly as intended or can NQ simply not work on this any time soon (until and maybe after release) because of the work required to properly implement this?

I'm not an expert. All I see is the benefits from the user or customer side of things and surely it may not be a walk in the park, especially if you add additional customization features such as range scaling and maybe even audio filters or radio communication. Additionally it's an additional - even if small - strain on resources I imagine.

But if it can be done and gets implemented, all players can hugely benefit in many situations.

I think ingame voice is not so useful feature. Having it integrated into the game means part of development team should spend much time on a feature, that does not contribute into gameplay versatility and can be easily covered by third party services. Especially if that cervices offer advanced setup and customization to chat channels access. 

The second problem is that ingame voice means additional load for severs. So probably it's better to let developers work on gameplay improvements instead of features that can be easily moved outside of the game itself

3 hours ago, Miamato said:

I think ingame voice is not so useful feature. Having it integrated into the game means part of development team should spend much time on a feature, that does not contribute into gameplay versatility and can be easily covered by third party services. Especially if that cervices offer advanced setup and customization to chat channels access. 

The second problem is that ingame voice means additional load for severs. So probably it's better to let developers work on gameplay improvements instead of features that can be easily moved outside of the game itself

Is it not one of the greatest contributions to game play versatility to be able to potentially speak to any player you suddenly encounter immediately? 

No non-integrated third party software can provide this. Of course it takes time and resources, but the benefits will be there. 

14 hours ago, Warden said:

Is it not one of the greatest contributions to game play versatility to be able to potentially speak to any player you suddenly encounter immediately? 

From my point of view - no. I bet many of players will disable this feature as soon as there would be too much noise. 

In other words I believe DU won't be just a space chatroulette and it's pretty annoying when you walk around some busy area and everyone tries to speak, and you are very lucky if cleaver people are around. 

Anyway it's up to NQ to decide how beneficial such feature would be for their game. 

That is where quick mute or disable or other filtering options such as range limitations come in handy. Offer it and make it optional so no one could really complain but most could benefit at the same time depending on the situation. 

It will be additional dev work no doubt, but if done right, it can also turn into a marketing aspect feature-wise and allow for more player interactions. 

54 minutes ago, Warden said:

That is where quick mute or disable or other filtering options such as range limitations come in handy.

EvE does have voice and allow  you to mute people. But still, the use case is so low that they have decided to remove the functionality.

Try to mute all spammers in Jita local, it's a lot easier to just hide the chan ;).

Regards,

Shadow

Well, I don't think I'm an EvE expert nor do I know how gameplay in DU will later be in many situations.

But I think here it's hard to compare in a certain way. In EvE you are, in essence, a space ship. More or less. In DU it is rather first person based and you can detach from vehicles / constructs any time. The "scale" is different, you can meet people "face to face" in more situations that you'll likely encounter space ships in EvE very close to each other where you could use local comms, if you know what I mean.

I think applying local comms in DU will be somewhat easier or more practical or useful if you can scale dynamically.

I think voice communication will be pretty valuable, but obviously has bandwidth issues. If each player is receiving multiple channels in a bar-like or bazaar-like atmosphere then that would be a strain and if channels are somehow merged into one audio signal then there's quite some processing required per player at the server end.

Even real air traffic control has problems of 'one at a time, please', but I would hope that at least one audio channel (from a selection) can be opened for both send and receive.

I don't think the load is an issue in terms of communication, it can be P2P if needed. I absolutely think its needed when it comes down to the scope of this game.  As Warden states encounters are what will really bring the game to life and they must be developed to the full extent, a city cannot be alive unless there is suitable communication and a 3rd party service doesn't offer what is required, getting someone to log onto a 3rd party app and then join your server and all the steps required would simply take too long for it to be effective. A city cannot really operate unless information can flow through it, from hearing announcements, speeches, warnings, a local trader convincing you to buy something to a police officer asking for identification.

Of course, this feature isn't required in the Alpha, Beta or even launch (although it would be nice), I would be happy to see it eventually become apart of the game. 

I think this will be an extra load for the server. You can use teamspeak or discord. Chat is the best solution. For example, a special chat with a range of 100 meters. Another option is a special plugin for teamspeak similar to "task force radio" mod for Arma 3

15 hours ago, SneakySnake said:

I think this will be an extra load for the server. You can use teamspeak or discord. Chat is the best solution. For example, a special chat with a range of 100 meters. Another option is a special plugin for teamspeak similar to "task force radio" mod for Arma 3

I still don't think so, doesn't allow the information to move throughout the universe well enough, as well as align with points made by Warden. 

I just updated the original post with some of the common criticisms and solutions to them. 

Well add extra load for the server doesnt mean it will stress for the server. I agree with vast world we have to cut away some function to let the game smooth but shouldnt cut it all.

Like @Kytheum say, this feature is very good in DU but it not so that much to be must add to the game. Maybe after they find way to optimize the server and stability it they can it so. But like someone say, a voice system in DU will make thing easier and the sound of communication will be fun, noise and loud but it make the game live not lifeless. I like it when I was played Rust, where I use mic to communicate and say ' dont shoot ' when a stranger show up.

I have been watching this thread for a while now and i see that the biggest worry is stress on the server. the fact is, is that voip servers do not have to be integrated with the main game server at all. in other words there could be a completely different server the voip is running through and the main game server simply connected to it and having to encode/ decode the audio coming through it simply plays the audio. granted the server would have to calculate distance and whether you are in a ship or not but, the server already does this for different rendering mechanics and gameplay mechanics. in my mind the server has to very minimal extra work in order to implement this. Also i saw a comment suggesting the there be a voice comms/ paging mechanic for sip to ship communication. i entirety agree with this. for situations like entering a planet owned by a large organization, you can quickly ask for passage without needing to go through join 3 different discord servers. i agree that yes i will be talking to my friends through discord but i would agree that in game voice is necessary for full launch. prob not in alpha but at least for launch.  

Well, I think the "loads" for good voice comms would certainly be an important factor and not minimal.

The upstream traffic would at least in bursts (press to talk) be much higher than transmitting player decisions and text entries. However, if intelligently databased and handled, burst transmissions could be similar to downloading picture or vid files from a fast-moving library. There would be rivers of data, but players could set up which 'streams' they are on and permissions.

It might be fun to see whether "shouting at your enemies" could actually slow their systems down: "severe lag down here, captain; everybody is yelling stuff...", but yes, I do think a good system design could brush any of that aside...

I do think that 'live' audio would make a massive difference to the immersion factor as well as communication speeds in battle etc. and should be implemented in DU.