Kytheum

Voice?  

201 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to see in-game voice?

Too hard? Lmao... What? No one has ever said that while playing EVE online or WOW... What's so hard about holding a key while you talk? You'd have to do the same thing if it were integrated into the game. And what contact info would you need? All people would have to do is use their in game name in discord and log in. If anyone thinks that's hard then that's just a characteristic of laziness.

So a bunch of people who committed a crime will sit there and follow your directions to join a discord server? While you give them permissions to enter your room. Even if you're made a channel for your entire goverment. getting people on it so you can warn them is a bit difficult. Also, this can't be compared to EVE or WOW. they are both MMO's yes but Dual Universe allows people to create a massive government which can house possibly thousands of people. And getting them onto a discord server would be difficult. The easiest option in terms for communicating to people in such a situation would be to approach them and hold down a key while you inform them. Rather then hoping there on your organisations discord to find there not and then sending them a link in game which by that stage it would have been easier to type the message.  

I think no one can really argue that integrated (local) voice comms at the push of a button are the best way for direct communication with strangers in situations when it matters. At least in FPS based environments this is even more crucial, think of "DayZ" or "Armed Assault" and whatnot. There it could make or break (defuse) situations within seconds.

In your average MMORPG it seems to be rather unusual. In the end, however, it will be useful to have or among the fastest ways to quickly communicate if you can run into strangers that could shoot at each other. Or if you try to stop or warn someone.

So a button, let's say on the helmet or the arm to talk in your squad. Okay, so this would be if you have a helmet. But what if you don't have one (in a planet's atmosphere)? Then we can talk about a system as Kytheum said: voice audible by anyone at range.

I'd like some sort of IGV - I think it would be really neat as well if they could some how implement that sort of "Radio" like Audio effect for Ship to ship Communications, just for the sake of adding to the immersion level.  :D

I'd like some sort of IGV - I think it would be really neat as well if they could some how implement that sort of "Radio" like Audio effect for Ship to ship Communications, just for the sake of adding to the immersion level.  :D

I agree! That would be super cool if it actually sounded like a radio system! On the flipside, it could make it difficult for someone with a junky microphone to utilize any type of voice chat. Maybe as an option that can be toggled on and off?

Another cool idea is a slight echo for intercom systems within the ship itself, not ship-to-ship. It might be a little difficult if you wanted absolute realism, (bigger room/hallway, more delayed echo,) but if all you do is a standard echo for all intercom speakers, it wouldn't be that hard.

IGV, this might interest you: https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/9891-wireless-luasoftware/

Simply just enable a local voice system that allows you to communicate in a 20-meter radius with it getting Dimmed the further you are away with barely being able to hear it at 20 meters. Then simply make it default to push to talk and allow an option that's easily spotted in options to disable it all together so you can hear any player. Then make two systems. One allows you to mute a specific player. And one allows you to "tune-in" to a player which would act like blocking out all the other players voices and only allowing theirs. See no reason why this is a no, besides development resources. Since all players can disable it easily. 

Second Life has this very same system you can enable or disable voice and you can do voice chat with an individual player in private. you can also mute a single player in a crowd. also it has a 20m voice range with falloff at greater range till you nolonger hear that person at like 30m

Second Life has this very same system you can enable or disable voice and you can do voice chat with an individual player in private. you can also mute a single player in a crowd. also it has a 20m voice range with falloff at greater range till you nolonger hear that person at like 30m

Cool to point an actual game that has that feature, I didn't know about, now I start thinking about all the things DU could provide and whether there already had been implemented in a previous game.

I would like this for the simple fact of being able to hail other ships, a proximity chat would be interesting but unnecessary imo. Being able to have a group chat and being able to request to speak with other ships would be cool, and of course being able to deny all transmission hails. Maybe even having the hails be ranged base so spammers can't just create a character on the start planet and immediately be able to hail ships from anywhere.

Voices could be louder the closer you get to someone but you could also have a radio to talk with people from far distances.

Yeah. I think the same. But also but radio you could whisper only so that one close to you cannot hear. And the calls by radio should have a filter, like a radio filter, feels better.

The ingame voice needs to be better or atleast as good as alternatives such as teamspeak, discord etc. Otherwise the only purpose of it is for talking to strangers/mic spamming.

The point is talking to someone you are close at or come across with, TS wouldn't give you that feature, and the spammers can get reported. Anyway, I think the orgs masters only should have the right to use city-speakers to inform the population.

The point is talking to someone you are close at or come across with, TS wouldn't give you that feature, and the spammers can get reported. Anyway, I think the orgs masters only should have the right to use city-speakers to inform the population.

That seems fair. But in total, this feature is needed for proper communication. It also gives a sense of immersion.

That seems fair. But in total, this feature is needed for proper communication. It also gives a sense of immersion.

yeah this, in other games been generally not in favor in game voice chat. But it clearly fits with the theme and setting of this game to have some way to voice chat in game.

Though i still say it shouldn't just be totally open. Fitting with the theme maybe they could make it so if someone wants to talk to you, you have to hit accept first and allow it and open a channel with them, then if the person turns out to be a annoying or disruptive can mute them again. That would go a long way to reduce the spam and annoyances and negatives people have with in game voice I think.

yeah this, in other games been generally not in favor in game voice chat. But it clearly fits with the theme and setting of this game to have some way to voice chat in game.

Though i still say it shouldn't just be totally open. Fitting with the theme maybe they could make it so if someone wants to talk to you, you have to hit accept first and allow it and open a channel with them, then if the person turns out to be a annoying or disruptive can mute them again. That would go a long way to reduce the spam and annoyances and negatives people have with in game voice I think.

That's one of the better solutions I've heard.

While in game voice chat shouldn't be on the top of the to-do pile, it should still go in there somewhere. I know some people won't want to use third party software, so at least this provides an alternative.

In this game, I don't see the voice system being exploited too much and even when it is they could add a key to your keyboard that if you press it and you face the one making the noise they are muted.  but you have to think of many scenarios to see why this will be useful and I will list below.

[situation one]

You're walking around in a Faction which is having an Upcoming election. You pass a corner and there is a Speech going on. You decide to walk up close and hear it. The speaker mentions heightened Taxes and everyone Boos. 

(With an Accept system the immersion of hearing someone Boo is quite difficult.) 

[situation two]

You are Law enforcement and someone runs up to you in a panic and informs you that her stock has been stolen. You see the thieves ahead and call out telling them to stop. You catch up to them and then taser one.

(You would need an open voice system to be able to hear the person who reported the stolen food in a rush. And also if it wasn't added the person who was tasered would be confused. )

So there would be people who scream and sing and chat but this would all be background noise if the system is done right. If its directional then the other voices should be quite and the only ones you would hear and the people very close to you or someone standing right in front of you and they face your direction. This will just make everything else background noise. And even then you could add a key to mute everyone in the area. Or at least turn them down. Like maybe hold down F7 and tilt your head up or down to adjust volume. A system of getting a request and then accepting of declining sounds easy to moderate but it's placing a massive handicap on the system and goes against its original purpose which was to be a quick and easy way to say something without people needing to do things to respond. But here is an Alternate solution. You could place the request and accept system in-game options so you could use either of them. 

im torn i want it but i want them to spend the time on it, maybe a deal with someone like curse where they dont have to do much work and its a plugin

everyone gets so pie in the sky with everything,first we have to get the revolutionary mmo thing up a running :-)

im torn i want it but i want them to spend the time on it, maybe a deal with someone like curse where they dont have to do much work and its a plugin

everyone gets so pie in the sky with everything,first we have to get the revolutionary mmo thing up a running :-)

I Would think they would put the time in to make it. It seems like a necessary component to the systems they have in place. 

I would love to see this implemented. Being able to communicate with near players better adds soo much to a sandbox MMO. Though there should be easy UI options to Block specific Players that abuse that system to Harass and Stuff - But I don't think thats gonna be a huge problem since this is a subscription game and most times this limits the Trolls. 

necessary? if we went by what EVERYONE deemed necessary, we would have collision damage and self replicating robots and blah blah blah the game would be broken.i can probably make something if they dont make it for the game and ill post it up somewhere :-) as long as nq will let me

necessary? if we went by what EVERYONE deemed necessary, we would have collision damage and self replicating robots and blah blah blah the game would be broken.i can probably make something if they dont make it for the game and ill post it up somewhere :-) as long as nq will let me

The concept of trade and movement of information will be vital. Especially with the focus on politics. Without voice chat it's like an Arrow in the Knee for Dual Universe.