Kytheum

Voice?  

201 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to see in-game voice?

There should probably need a report function, as in-game voice chat without it simply gives people a way to verbally abuse each other. Text chat is much easier to manage as there is a record, and it can have screenshots taken, but it is much trickier with voice chat.

I've got a hunch that the fact that it is subscription based mayyy be enough to keep people from using DU as a harassment simulator, but they announced a free trial period, what is to keep people from using throwaway accounts to verbally assault people?

I do think there should be a voice chat function, however just playing devil's advocate here. If there was a setting in-between accept all and mute all, where you can accept to chat with specific players but don't hear the unwashed masses, that would solve this problem as well.

I've got a hunch that the fact that it is subscription based mayyy be enough to keep people from using DU as a harassment simulator, but they announced a free trial period, what is to keep people from using throwaway accounts to verbally assault people?

Voice chat could be a premium feature for subscribers only. VoIP takes a not inconsiderable amount of server resources, so it makes sense from economic POV, too.

There should probably need a report function, as in-game voice chat without it simply gives people a way to verbally abuse each other. Text chat is much easier to manage as there is a record, and it can have screenshots taken, but it is much trickier with voice chat.

I do think there should be a voice chat function, however just playing devil's advocate here. If there was a setting in-between accept all and mute all, where you can accept to chat with specific players but don't hear the unwashed masses, that would solve this problem as well.

What people say should not be moderated. I'd expect people to curse and even swear in a game like this. The problem is when people become racist or offensive to other players outside the game world. If for example you're on a bridge giving orders and your last words are "F*ck" before the bridge is destroyed. Or a pirate gang leader gives some amazing speech with curses in it. Personally, the swearing doesn't get me but when some child comes on and screams into his mic for a long time. Even though I don't think people would pay for the subscription just to scream into there mics. 

What people say should not be moderated. I'd expect people to curse and even swear in a game like this. The problem is when people become racist or offensive to other players outside the game world. If for example you're on a bridge giving orders and your last words are "F*ck" before the bridge is destroyed. Or a pirate gang leader gives some amazing speech with curses in it. Personally, the swearing doesn't get me but when some child comes on and screams into his mic for a long time. Even though I don't think people would pay for the subscription just to scream into there mics. 

One way to cure "ScreamingChildDisease" is to make it so that "muffled, high pitch, or earhurt songs" are automatically blocks. 

Just a suggestion. Or just let organisations just pop them in the body.

One way to cure "ScreamingChildDisease" is to make it so that "muffled, high pitch, or earhurt songs" are automatically blocks. 

Just a suggestion. Or just let organisations just pop them in the body.

a reputation system could be put in place, that allows people to be muted if their voice reputation is too low

forgot some people are enjoying doing damage.

well, then just allow people that are too loud to be shot even in safe zones.

Simply just enable a local voice system that allows you to communicate in a 20-meter radius with it getting Dimmed the further you are away with barely being able to hear it at 20 meters. Then simply make it default to push to talk and allow an option that's easily spotted in options to disable it all together so you can hear any player. Then make two systems. One allows you to mute a specific player. And one allows you to "tune-in" to a player which would act like blocking out all the other players voices and only allowing theirs. See no reason why this is a no, besides development resources. Since all players can disable it easily. 

Another thing to consider about swearing is that kids will​ be playing this. So having a quick-report option would be nice, or even the ability to mute someone for everyone else if they are on your/your organization's property. This would allow market owners and organization police to do some regulating of their own to keep the environment enjoyable for the rest of the players.

I am not suggesting that just anyone be allowed to "property mute" another player simply because that player happens to be on land owned by an organization they belong to, it would be an ability granted to specific, trusted individuals by organization leaders.

Also, having the ability to amplify voices would be cool, I mean, just imagine a police patrol ship with an external PA system: "WOULD ALL CIVILIANS PLEASE VACATE THE LANDING ZONE. THIS IS A RESTRICTED AREA!"

You gotta admit, that would be pretty awesome!

For children playing the game: it's PEGI 18 they shouldn't and as DACs are real money I think you must be 18 or have the right to have an account only with your parents' agreement.

Amplify voice: good idea, so cool, but only for the people leading the territory their own while they are on this territory (like for public announcements, police...).

I thought voice-video calls with holograms (mono-coloured) would be cool too, as in ships or with some kind of portable device on the arm and on small spaceships (note: you know Star wars 2 all of you).

I don't see how someone could say no to this. It's almost essential for trade and managing a government. Also its highly configurable and can be disabled completely if you don't want it. Saying no to an optional feature makes no sense. There is no proper reason against it i can think off besides mic spam and trolls. But like i said above its an optional feature.

For children playing the game: it's PEGI 18 they shouldn't and as DACs are real money I think you must be 18 or have the right to have an account only with your parents' agreement.

Good point. Nonetheless, it would be a nice feature for a property owner/organization police to have. I don't think it would be hard to implement either, just create a sort of "speech permission" on private/organization property that is automatically granted to everyone unless they have been property muted.

The next question is how the heck do we make that work will 10000 people on the server. 

Multi channels will be needed: Local, Ship, Org/system, org wide. or maybe just local and team with an invite mode.  

Perhaps org battle mode which auto invites all regional org members on activation. 

You would also need a trade channel ideally local only and an off topic channel so you can be told to take it some where else. 

Throw in a GM management and voice help channel and that's 7 or 8 channels. Are there plug and play voice middle ware that can do all that yet? 

You can just use external programs that run in the background like discord. And there are highly legitimate reasons as to not have this. Trolls who won't shut up, load mouths, people interrupting while you're talking and uses more space on the servers. Granted there would most likely be a mute feature but still it would be just a easy and probably more convenient to use external chat programs.

The next question is how the heck do we make that work will 10000 people on the server. 

Multi channels will be needed: Local, Ship, Org/system, org wide. or maybe just local and team with an invite mode.  

Perhaps org battle mode which auto invites all regional org members on activation. 

You would also need a trade channel ideally local only and an off topic channel so you can be told to take it some where else. 

Throw in a GM management and voice help channel and that's 7 or 8 channels. Are there plug and play voice middle ware that can do all that yet?

Eh, I don't really think that kind of thing is necessary. I think, especially from a roleplaying perspective, that it's more fun that shipwide communication isn't just some chat thing, but an actual PA system you would find on a real ship. If the captain wants to relay orders, he shouts over the speakers. If some grunt wants to report an anomaly up to the bridge, he walks and tells his superiors who have a two way relay with the bridge. Some bridge bunny opens a channel, receives the message, and speaks physically to the captain.

For organisational or system communications I would have similar restrictions. If you're on a ship requesting landing access in a neutral nation's port, it's the bridge communicating directly to some tower on the ground. Make the relay device too power hungry or resource intensive so that you don't want to build multiple copies on ships. Just like how it's going to be difficult to put FTL drives on anything smaller than a generation ship.

Same thing for system to system communications. Possible, but energy expensive. Not the kind of thing you would find on ships bar a capital ship that needs to communicate with other fleets.

To be honest, the last example would probably be superseded by Discord. But I think this way, you can restrict regular chat to close range (~25m?) while still enabling in-game long range communication, without immersion breaking concepts such as being able to contact someone halfway across the galaxy with nothing more than a pocket radio.

You can just use external programs that run in the background like discord. And there are highly legitimate reasons as to not have this. Trolls who won't shut up, load mouths, people interrupting while you're talking and uses more space on the servers. Granted there would most likely be a mute feature but still it would be just a easy and probably more convenient to use external chat programs.

So lets say there is a random bunch of civilians in the street and your law enforcement and they have done something wrong. You could either take the time to Type to them. Or Invite them it a discord server or whatever else. Or just press a button on your keyboard. Using Discord, Skype Curse or anything else is way to hard to run in these situations. You would run into too many people and getting contact information is inconvenient.

Eh, I don't really think that kind of thing is necessary. I think, especially from a roleplaying perspective, that it's more fun that shipwide communication isn't just some chat thing, but an actual PA system you would find on a real ship. If the captain wants to relay orders, he shouts over the speakers. If some grunt wants to report an anomaly up to the bridge, he walks and tells his superiors who have a two way relay with the bridge. Some bridge bunny opens a channel, receives the message, and speaks physically to the captain.

For organisational or system communications I would have similar restrictions. If you're on a ship requesting landing access in a neutral nation's port, it's the bridge communicating directly to some tower on the ground. Make the relay device too power hungry or resource intensive so that you don't want to build multiple copies on ships. Just like how it's going to be difficult to put FTL drives on anything smaller than a generation ship.

Same thing for system to system communications. Possible, but energy expensive. Not the kind of thing you would find on ships bar a capital ship that needs to communicate with other fleets.

To be honest, the last example would probably be superseded by Discord. But I think this way, you can restrict regular chat to close range (~25m?) while still enabling in-game long range communication, without immersion breaking concepts such as being able to contact someone halfway across the galaxy with nothing more than a pocket radio.

I couldn't have said it better!

This system could also run off Client. It would reduce stress and probably make it easier on the devs. 

I imagine it would be possible to make it a peer2peer network, maybe with an extra check with the server about who's in hearing range in local chat. This would probably reduce audio quality, but then NQ's monthly server costs wouldn't be so heavily dependent on how chatty people are feeling.

I agree with Limyaael and Kythium. It would add more realism to have it in-game, especially if they incorporated a few realistic limitations to ship communication. I have played other games like Arma 3 using a TeamSpeak channel, but only when in-game chat is acting up. Using third-party software excludes those who might not know what you're using, which channel you are on, etc., not to mention it is more of a hassle as Kythium pointed out.

I imagine it would be possible to make it a peer2peer network, maybe with an extra check with the server about who's in hearing range in local chat. This would probably reduce audio quality, but then NQ's monthly server costs wouldn't be so heavily dependent on how chatty people are feeling.

The range of voice would work like the visual loading of voxels in space and players so the people won't be connected all the time to everyone's voice feed.  As you said.

Yes, but maybe only for group or guild coms. or an option to toggle off public coms perhaps.

Oh yes maybe but that way there won't be a point making a range voice. Group coms will work the same as TS. Why not for squads.

So lets say there is a random bunch of civilians in the street and your law enforcement and they have done something wrong. You could either take the time to Type to them. Or Invite them it a discord server or whatever else. Or just press a button on your keyboard. Using Discord, Skype Curse or anything else is way to hard to run in these situations. You would run into too many people and getting contact information is inconvenient.

Too hard? Lmao... What? No one has ever said that while playing EVE online or WOW... What's so hard about holding a key while you talk? You'd have to do the same thing if it were integrated into the game. And what contact info would you need? All people would have to do is use their in game name in discord and log in. If anyone thinks that's hard then that's just a characteristic of laziness.