What brought you to Dual Universe?

yamamushi

I prefer games that are player driven. I'm a backer for Star Citizen as well, but this game has more potential for player driven content from what I've seen. I also want to make my own asteroid pirate base :D

Ah, Star Citizen, were frigates get to dog-fight. So much fidelity in the ships, so little logic in combat. :/ Don't get me wrong, Star Citizen has the potential to become the Iron Man decathlon of FPS tournaments, with having objectives like Capture the Ship or Capture he Planet kind of 10-days-straight torunaments to decide who is the true Iron Star Man, but man, that game cannot become an MMO. Star Citizen is just too heavy to be an MMO as well. If they were to release is as a 100 vs 100 Corps Warfare, that would be AMAZING, but as an MMO, mucho difficult.

Not to mention Wayfarer dogfighting each other. So ridiculous.

A battle of 100 vs 100 ships (in the same place) is more than enough even for a one shard MMO, and Star Citizen is instanced.

MMO means a large amount of players in the same game, not thousands battling in the same spot.

An instanced game may be an MMO, but it can't be one world. It is a bizarre, illogical, split up mess of parallel worlds tossing immersion out of the window.

A battle of 100 vs 100 ships (in the same place) is more than enough even for a one shard MMO, and Star Citizen is instanced.

MMO means a large amount of players in the same game, not thousands battling in the same spot.

An Instanced game may be an MMO, but it can't be one world. It is a bizarre, illogical, split up mess of parallel worlds tossing immersion out of the window.

Technically speaking, 100 ships is a catchy term. 100 players and 100 ships though, are totally different. A ship like the Wayfarer can have a crew of 6 or 8, I don't recal exactly, while a Bengal Carrier can have 37 crewmen, not counting jets flying out of it. Cry Engine is a good engine, but not for an MMO. Look at how Archage suffered due to that.

And NovaQuark opted for Unigine for a reason. They know what they want to build (unlike Star Citizen, which started as a space sim focused on small ships and blew to its enormity at this point).

I said ships and not players for a reason, since the strain on the server depends on the number of moving ships engaged in battle.

Of course an MMO can have battles of thousands to break silly records - but only by sacrificing decent game mechanics.

I said ships and not players for a reason, since the strain on the server depends on the number of moving ships engaged in battle.

Of course an MMO can have battles of thousands to break silly records - but only by sacrificing decent game mechanics.

Yeah, but each ship can't be operated by one person in SC. Which escalates the number of players as well. The SC devs spoken for 100 players, not ships. Just sayin'.

I'm fed up with Space Engineers and the dev's complete failure to fix up the game. I remain hopeful that they will finally drop the every amazing "netcode update", but even with that, it has a ways to go. This game looks like everything I ever wanted out of SE, and more. 

I most certainly look forward to participating in epic sized space battles which utter annihilate a fleet and spending 100s of hours designing my ships. I certainly hope the game mostly lives up to the hype, even if it's release date gets pushed back. Early 2017 for beta seems ambitious.

I'm fed up with Space Engineers and the dev's complete failure to fix up the game. I remain hopeful that they will finally drop the every amazing "netcode update", but even with that, it has a ways to go. This game looks like everything I ever wanted out of SE, and more. 

I most certainly look forward to participating in epic sized space battles which utter annihilate a fleet and spending 100s of hours designing my ships. I certainly hope the game mostly lives up to the hype, even if it's release date gets pushed back. Early 2017 for beta seems ambitious.

Early 2017 ALPHA. Not Beta. 

I am well aware. However after 1000+ hours in the game and having hope, I'm just putting the game down until they can actuwlly fix the netcode, and actually fix the god awful performance. Im usually the first to defend an alpha, but it's been in alpha for close to 3 years now and there has hardly been any progress since planets dropped, which was 8-10 months ago. Don't get me wrong, I don't regret buying it. But I'm tired of thinking of what it COULD be.

to give an unbiased answer. im answering first then going back to read everyone elses response. 

what peaked my interest about this game was that it was emergent game play where everything is created and run by the players. I love the idea of such a free MMO game such as this. Im highly fascinated in seeing how the game grows as the years go by with the emergent game play. I foresee the starting area becoming a sprawling mega city that i hope to leave and never return to for a year or two.

I just hate reaching borders or walking around, I hate limits. So for me this game, idea is a bridge to put myself between point A and infinity... It lured me, cause none of use will live to the moment when we, human race will be able reach infinity. We are prisoners of this rock, beautiful, greenish and bleuish rock. Probably we will never escape but we are advanced enough to create playable-dreams of impossible, convenient enough to cheer up sad soul. NQ tries to create daydream for us and for that I'm thankful and I'm going to support them in their efforts.

Hi peps. I saw the video of the game and later on read more bout it. And it was goood. The aspects of the game the ideas and what is promised by nova have made me hungry. I hope to be able to play the alpha and beta and test as much of it as possible. The idea is great so far i wait to test it. Then i can be able to make comments or critics. Some people go just to fast out and criticize all too fast. I can not wait to give it a try.

And some people become uncritical fanboys too fast, wasting the opportunity to give the devs valuable feedback about weak elements of their concept early in development, and to propose better alternatives to consider as long as things need not yet be carved in stone.

I was just looking for a MMO game placed in persistent infinite universe, with the focus on building something from a scratch, as I thought it would be very fascinating to be part of such experience. I was kinda disappointed with the info about NMS (don't get me wrong, it may be a pretty good game) and Star Citizen. If I were to engage in any space exploration game, I expected to build my ship as I want it to, with the ability to treat it as my flying home. When I saw first video of DU, I felt it might be it. Seeing second video only confirmed my hopes. So, I'm waiting impatiently to be able to log in and start building my own version of Firefly, or any kind of ship that can be treated as a place to live as well. ;) 

Should I decide to play the game (still on the fence), I will probably also be in a ship most of the time. That's why I hope for satisfying Newtonian flight mechanics and a better alternative to dull, EVE-like tab targeting in the finished game.

Should I decide to play the game (still on the fence), I will probably also be in a ship most of the time. That's why I hope for satisfying Newtonian flight mechanics and a better alternative to dull, EVE-like tab targeting in the finished game.

Then you're in for a treat, cause I've been researching the game engine Dual uses and the results are NOT on EVE's point and click adventure side in PvP. :V

Hope you like geometry as well though. :/ Can't say many do.

"I played Eve, Project Spark, plenty of other games and have been accused of being too creative by mates on more than one occasion.

I saw the E3 and knew it was love at first sight. It was hope and peace and all I'd ever wanted.

Desperation led me to the light. Dual Universe is all I can hope for. I hope Novaquark doesn't let us down. I know they won't.

"

Thus far in every entertainment realm I've encountered there are always limits on all user interaction and while there appear to be limits here too, they are far less restrictive.

I'm not much for dungeon crawling but i'm definitely into the building aspect...and not simply larger either - larger but just as detailed as something built on smaller scales.

I expect the resource requirements alone will keep me busy - perhaps busy enough to have entire teams of resource gatherers, processors, traders, etc...and when we're done, our ships will be enormously sought after - owning a one-of-a-kind vessel designed, built and crafted by LK Industries should be a badge of honor.

I look forward to expanding my dreams into larger, more realistic scales in Dual Universe...that's what brought me here :)

-LK