What brought you to Dual Universe?

yamamushi

This was discussed in Discord earlier today, but I thought it would be interesting to ask in the forums.

What about Dual Universe brought you here?

Clearly there was something about the E3 trailer that brought most people here, if not the latest gameplay footage. Otherwise there was something that people read or heard about the game that made them take the leap of going so far as to create a forum account. 

For me it was the "everything created by players" bit in the E3 trailer.

I knew from that point that no matter what other mechanics they threw on the game, that I was going to be hooked, or as I said in discord chat "the rest was superfluous icing on the proverbial cake".

For me it was the rest of HMMR but after having a look at DU I'm interested.

One big factor is the scale of the game. Groups will be able to control sectors and fly around in huge capital ships and it really appeals to me.

I sort of already had the entirety of the general game concept in my head as my "dream game" for years, but didn't really expect that there was enough demand for it or a game studio who was ambitious enough to make it a reality. 

When I saw the E3 trailer I was intrigued, and at first I thought it was just a Space Engineers clone, but when I started reading the DevBlog I realized that it was soo much more. My hype has only grown the more I see from this game.

I became interested just hearing about the game through word of mouth.  I've popped in a couple of times over the past six months or so.  I finally joined up when I was invited to join up with COPS.  I didn't realize this game was getting close to showing off anything, let alone less than a year from Alpha. 

The building is why I am here most of all.  Been messing around with voxels in another game and this one looks like a LOT of what is missing in that one will be included in this one.  I"m very excited about the freedom it looks like we'll have in this game  concerning how large we can build, where we can build, being able to team up and build with others...and so on. Very excited.

Everything that they want this game to be. I have been wanting a game where the world is built by players. It has been all I have been looking for since seeing Sword Art Online and Log Horizon. I know those game worlds weren't built by players, but Dual Universe is everything I have ever wanted.

Also, my buddy showed me a video and described it to me. In terms of how I heard about it, that is what specifically what brought me here.

Yes the building attracted me. I like to build big for the most part, but building with voxels alone isn't enough, there has to be a point to it. I need purpose and a sense of direction. A sense of "I'm building this or doing that for survival or strength, or trade, or industry" will give me that meaning and ingrained sense of purpose I desire as a builder-type.

I like the idea of battling for resources if necessary, of obtaining and defending your territory, of exploring vast spaces and seeing how others build up their own piece of civilisation.

THE ATTITUDE ON JC BAILLIE'S PART.

XPGamer has doubts, boom, laptop, running the game.

Bluedrake talks shit and having, honestly justified doubts given the shitty games industry, but then BOOM, turbosquid model was turned into voxels and edited in a 0:42 second video.

Now, the new gameplay footage, BOOM, space station is indeed made by players and is indeed fully explorable, well, as much as the player wants it to be explroable that is.

Attitude is what I respect on a developer's part, not ego mind you, attitude, not "yeah, well, but... go kill yourself I have nothing to show you" or backpedaling. NQ and J.C. , keep slam dunking critics!

Uh, uh, uh.

Do we have marquee and flashing rainbow fonts?

No? Okay.

I found this in my quest to find an mmorpg for me like vylqun, but was looking for a sense of community and, I hadn't known it when I joined, emergent gameplay.

I then read the devblogs and I think my reaction is well documented. I think I'll just blush over those old posts and leave them lie.

Hides Face

Like most i watched the E3 trailer and was hooked. I really like the fact that we all will be starting out in the beginning and can shape the future. For me to be able to join a game at the very beginning to etch my mortality with the skills i have learned from past gaming experiences is what made me want to join and get involved in the community.

I was searching for space-related MMORPGs when I came across Dual. However what really drew me in was the concept of realistic economy and politics that were determined by the players ideologies. Something about that gave the game a feel of realism I hadn't come across yet and as a result I was hooked.

One of my very first MMORPG's was Star Wars Galaxies (SWG). This was in 2003 before the Combat Upgrade (CU) or the New Game Enhancements (NGE). The gameplay footage was very reminiscent of SWG. Massive, Open World (Universe?), Exploration, Player Driven Economy, Emergent Gameplay, Non Theme Park and Player Built Structures and Spacecraft. I have not played such an immersive game since, even though I have played them all (WOW, EQ2, LOTRO, RIFT, SWTOR, EVE, to name just a few). The real attraction for me I suppose is the fact that you can explore both Space and Planets as was done, to a lesser extent, in SWG: Jump to Lightspeed, which for me at that time was epitome of all I desired in such a game. I am hoping this game will pick up where SWG: Jump to Lightspeed left off.

I was putting together some slides for a class I needed to give about a year ago, and one of my keywords I used when I was researching brought up Dual Universe.

Took a peek, got interested, joined the forums. 

Haven't looked back since. :P

Every few months I look for a single shard space sim MMO that is a player-driven sandbox without predefined factions. For a while I thought DU could be this dream coming true, but I had to learn it falls short on the sim part with EVE-style tab targeting and timer-bar-"skills". If they don't reconsider these decisions, I guess I will have to go on googling every few months.

I was introduced to Dual Universe a long ways back when I was still playing another Voxel building game, and a few other games on the side at the time, and they reached out to me on twitter asking for feedback from experienced builders. This was almost a year and a half ago and ever since then I have been following, giving feedback, and giving suggestions as much as I can as I found Dual Universe to be the game I was looking for :) The biggest things that draw me to Dual Universe is its voxel building, non-restricted building sizes/scale, its 'Millions of Planets' feature as said on their main website as this will be great for exploration, its Politics/Trading/Territory/Organizations features, its MMO feature, and the community that has grown here on the forums :)

I started following Dual around October of 2014 if I remember correctly. I was making some pretty high profile spaceships in another voxel game and someone who kept up with games more than I do mentioned Dual Universe. I looked into it and was instantly sold on the idea (I wanted to see spaceships fly, other game did not offer this)...but not necessarily committed to the company making it.

J.C. Baillie's background in robotics and programming lured me in pretty hard along with the other members of the team and their past accomplishments. I had also seen some of their art and I was heavily impressed. Their twitter correspondant has always been fun to engage with and has treated everyone as equals. I saw no favoritism coming out of Novaquark.

Once the website went live I read through the dev blogs and was impressed by Novaquarks transparency and honesty. I was hooked. I signed up on the day the forums went live. Ever since then, Novaquark as a team has impressed me with their continued efforts in craft, their continued  design, transparency, and integrity.

Bottom line is that Novaquark has shown to be extremely dedicated and very professional while also maintaining a humanistic connection to the fan base. This is what inspires me the most. The Novaquark team, all of them. Artists, designers, programmers, community relations. Top notch group of people!

i saw the e3 trailer and thought "yeah well see"

after Dual Universe being mentioned in the subreddit of .. a related space voxelgame i went and read the entire devblog and bam.. Hooked as can be.. Good god this game will be awesome and the tech already looks incredible! 

It seems like a beautiful cross between eve, space engineers and shores of hazeron and i couldnt be more hyped.. this is going to be a long 2 years