Power Cores (suggestion)

Gerald_Deemer

What if you could set up the power cores balance?

For example if you build a ship you have to integrate a power core.

So what if you could do a set up saying the power core does these stats as a standard setting:

33,3 % shield energy

33,3 % weapon energy

33,3 % acceleration / top speed

If you could change the power balance freely for your build ships e.g.

50 % shield energy

25 % weapon energy

25 % acceleration / top speed

Or if you would like to build a real fast spy ship:

0 % shield energy

0 % weapon energy

100 % acceleraion / top speed

So I think this would be very interesting and every ship would be nearly unique and exactly that kind of ship what the builder wanted to create. This idea gets really exiting if you choose to put 2 or 3 power cores in a one-seater.

I think it could be a really cool tool.

I love to have this but even more be able to maybe balance shields on the fly but it could be considered too cheap since you could have a Lua Script just do it for you. But I love to have this anyways. I can just see some balance issues when it comes to Lua doing it all for ya. 

I love to have this but even more be able to maybe balance shields on the fly but it could be considered too cheap since you could have a Lua Script just do it for you. But I love to have this anyways. I can just see some balance issues when it comes to Lua doing it all for ya. 

but you have to do the lua so its basically ok

but you have to do the lua so its basically ok

Lua is not forced but my point is if we have too complex features like shield power management like forward shield power and being able to put more power into them etc. The Lua will be a must for it and if not then it's massive game changer. I don't think that is the developer plan to make Lua beyond a game changer to balance.

I could be wrong but it's my opinion :)

My thought was to set the parameters once and you should not be able to change it after the ship is build.

So you could have 2 identically looking ships with complete different attack power, top speed and defence power.

You could make this like a talent path to say if you want to use a plasma canon you have to use 60 % of a power core for this.

If you want to use a hyperdrive you have to use 100% of a power core (but you can spend some money to add a second core for weapons and shields)

This was my idea.

I doubt that you'll be able to pour more power than its rating into any kind of equipment (except for maybe some damaging "overcharging" thing ala EVE's overheating.

i also highly doubt that there wont be any kind of power allocation mechanic in the game considering that we've already seen mockups of generators and power conduits.

But what i doubt is that it will be a wonky "power core" system but instead straight up wattage the generators supply and equipment takes up.

Why build some weird system with hardcoded numbers and weird interacting boni when you can do it in a more logical and easy to understand way?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Why build some weird system with hardcoded numbers and weird interacting boni when you can do it in a more logical and easy to understand way?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Because ship building is a major element of the game!

I think the most people who will play Dual Universe would not consider this suggestion as a "wierd system"

I mean you will be able to build a turret onto your space station and programm it! Hello?!?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay! Going on with my ideas:

If you want to implement a second core into a "one seater" (space ship built for one person)

you would need a higher ship crafting level (or however it will be named)

Example:

Ship with 1 power core - Crafting Level 0

Ship with 2 power cores - Crafting Level 10

Ship with 3 power cores - Crafting Level 35

There should be a natural limit for the one seated ships like 3 cores per ship. So you would be able to design a ship which is incredibly fast (300 % max) or can use heavy weapons on your small ship. Weapons that need at least 200 % power.

This idea could be expanded to space stations which have bigger power cores and could use bigger canons and better shields.

And you could add ultra rare power cores in all classes/dimensions which perform 150 % of a normal power core. But the rare cores should not be craftable. They should be more like rewards for finding/solving a secret in the Universe.

I think this thread has confused two elements of the game:

The Core Unit, which is what determines the size and type of construct (small ship, large building, etc) provides the max build area and the ID of the physical object

And Power Unit, which serves as a fuel tank or battery for player and construct systems.

For now, we have only seen one power unit deployed in a demo, and it was deployed in the sample ship. We may find out that there are different strengths of power units, different classes meant doe each size of construct, and we may even be able to place more than one in the same construct.

As it stands though, there is no specifics on how it works, but we may find that it is not the power unit that determines the ship's stats, but what elements are on the ship.

It might be that for a 100% speed ship, you've just got to have high-tier engines, but that a common Power Unit won't power high tier engines. Balance and specialization may determine what combinations of power units and elements will translate to ship stat blocks.

Pretty sure NQ is aiming for a more physically based system, like Cornflakes says.

If you want your ship to go faster, add more engines.

If you want more protection, add more shield units.

If you want to deal more damage, add more weapons.

Then you add in power generators as needed. Seems pretty simple to me.

Pretty sure NQ is aiming for a more physically based system, like Cornflakes says.

If you want your ship to go faster, add more engines.

If you want more protection, add more shield units.

If you want to deal more damage, add more weapons.

Then you add in power generators as needed. Seems pretty simple to me.

Much like an MMO however, you might find that you need faster engines, not just more engines. Stronger guns, not just more guns. Otherwize the tier 1 ships will look just like the Space Engineers cube of death ships that are just tiled with turrets.

Because ship building is a major element of the game!

I think the most people who will play Dual Universe would not consider this suggestion as a "wierd system"

I mean you will be able to build a turret onto your space station and programm it! Hello?!?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay! Going on with my ideas:

If you want to implement a second core into a "one seater" (space ship built for one person)

you would need a higher ship crafting level (or however it will be named)

Example:

Ship with 1 power core - Crafting Level 0

Ship with 2 power cores - Crafting Level 10

Ship with 3 power cores - Crafting Level 35

There should be a natural limit for the one seated ships like 3 cores per ship. So you would be able to design a ship which is incredibly fast (300 % max) or can use heavy weapons on your small ship. Weapons that need at least 200 % power.

This idea could be expanded to space stations which have bigger power cores and could use bigger canons and better shields.

And you could add ultra rare power cores in all classes/dimensions which perform 150 % of a normal power core. But the rare cores should not be craftable. They should be more like rewards for finding/solving a secret in the Universe.

still.... why use a weird ruleset around "power cores" and "200% power" instead of just "this generator produces 15megawatt" and "this cannon needs 5 megawatt"?

KISS

Why a natural limit to 3 cores on a single seater ship?

More importantly.

Why... powercores. Powercores are specifically for controlling, not powering.

And making cores have different values and stuffs is just... overpowered. If you want a better weapon, upgrade it.

More importantly.

Why... powercores. Powercores are specifically for controlling, not powering.

And making cores have different values and stuffs is just... overpowered. If you want a better weapon, upgrade it.

Without seeing how the balance works at all, no judgement can be made as to what is overpowered