Ship-to-Ship weapons damage/hull impact

Talyn VonGoosen

Forgive me if I don't really explain this concept properly, I'm usually a quiet lurker (especially this one where a lot of people seem to be very experienced with these types games and I'm more of a starry eyed dreamer, haha). Anyways, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but what are people thinking about for ship-to-ship space combat, specifically how damage to ships will be visualized when made out of voxels.  

So, I was wondering how different weapons would affect a ship's hull especially exteriors constructed of voxels.  So, for example, would plasma weapons "melt" voxels away and expose hallways to open space?  Would ballistic weapons leave dents in the hull or chip away pieces as it impacts the hull?

I guess I'm wondering what other people have seen (maybe in other games or even design concepts) or consider as something interesting to incorporate in terms of weapons damage and resulting impact on hull condition.

Edit: Some typos.

Typically what I have seen in other games is voxels will dent or tear given any type of impact, ballistic, energy, or palsma

However, I could see different materials with different resistances to different types of damage. 

I think each individual weapon type should give take away voxels differently. Plasma would simply delete voxels, ballistic ones would move the voxels (such as if you shoot a piece of glass, the glass pops out towards the direction the bullet is heading) and add more weight (like a single small bullet voxels) and nuclear would radiate, and magnetic would simply just drag the ship's voxels towards the magnetic voxels, and those voxels get magnetized as well and so on.

I think each individual weapon type should give take away voxels differently. Plasma would simply delete voxels, ballistic ones would move the voxels (such as if you shoot a piece of glass, the glass pops out towards the direction the bullet is heading) and add more weight (like a single small bullet voxels) and nuclear would radiate, and magnetic would simply just drag the ship's voxels towards the magnetic voxels, and those voxels get magnetized as well and so on.

Even with just those few there is so many amazing opportunities for weapon creation.  Consider a Magnetic Nuclear Mine, you'd have the magnetic element being attracted to the hull of the ship, then with the nuclear detonation you'd have the heat to contend with on the voxels, plus sheer force from the blast...then you have the question of whether radiation would damage players in the sections not shielded from rads.

Even with just those few there is so many amazing opportunities for weapon creation.  Consider a Magnetic Nuclear Mine, you'd have the magnetic element being attracted to the hull of the ship, then with the nuclear detonation you'd have the heat to contend with on the voxels, plus sheer force from the blast...then you have the question of whether radiation would damage players in the sections not shielded from rads.

The problem with radiation: Each radioactive voxel needs to be check for its a degrading isotopes... constantly.

But yeah. I'd think nuclear melting would cause extreme damage to unprotected people.

The developers today talked about ship weapons and how they will be based on damage types. As well as armor built with certain elements will provide certain protection as with the shield configuration based on element types.

In the end no ship can be a a perfect balance of protection / fight. You might always come across someone with a configuration that will be devastating to you etc. 

In the end no ship can be a a perfect balance of protection / fight. You might always come across someone with a configuration that will be devastating to you etc. 

I didn't see the dev talk and will have to watch it, thanks!  But I guess this brings about the question of if you could combine two different types of ships into a single ship.  I'm thinking something Enterprise-esque.  I'm wondering if you could have a crew compartment that is designed for protection/defense and a battle/offense section.  The two would detach prior to combat to ensure first the safety of non-essential crew and then the remaining vessel would be geared towards the "fight" aspect you mentioned.